December 02, 2020, 01:03:53 PM

Author Topic: What's the name of that book? - Lost and Found for novels  (Read 86803 times)

Offline isos81

Re: What's the name of that book? - Lost and Found for novels
« Reply #150 on: June 17, 2020, 11:04:08 AM »
I vaguely remember bits and pieces.

There is divinity (God and angels) which resembles Christianity. Devil-representative starts a fight. They are banished by God. There is rift and an angel named Helm (not sure) is guarding the rift.

When everything is over, The God is asked "Is everything OK in your cosmos?" by a higher power.

Rings any bell?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #151 on: June 18, 2020, 04:40:32 AM »

There is divinity (God and angels) which resembles Christianity. Devil-representative starts a fight. They are banished by God. There is rift and an angel named Helm (not sure) is guarding the rift.

When everything is over, The God is asked "Is everything OK in your cosmos?" by a higher power.

Rings any bell?

My brain went "Scar Night by Alan Campbell"? But after going to look at the blurb, I think probably actually no, I've confused Helm with "Hael" (it's been a long time since I read this one).

Offline isos81

« Reply #152 on: June 18, 2020, 06:42:46 AM »

Rings any bell?

My brain went "Scar Night by Alan Campbell"? But after going to look at the blurb, I think probably actually no, I've confused Helm with "Hael" (it's been a long time since I read this one).

Thanks cupi. I read the blurb and I don't think it is Scar Night.

The name of the angel might not be "Helm". It was a battle-related name and he was the defender of the rift. Can't remember much :(
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #153 on: June 18, 2020, 02:33:41 PM »
My first thought was The Sundering by Jacqueline Carey, but I don't think that sounds quite right either. I've only read the first book (Banewreaker). They are basically gods, rather than angels, and the leader of the good guys (who are the bad guys from the book's POV) is called Haomane, but doesn't seem to be especially a guardian of a rift.

There appears to be a guardian god called Helm in the Forgotten Realms D&D setting, could it have been something to do with that? (Apparently there's another series, also called The Sundering, which features a book about Helm by Troy Denning.)

Offline isos81

« Reply #154 on: June 18, 2020, 03:00:30 PM »
My first thought was The Sundering by Jacqueline Carey, but I don't think that sounds quite right either. I've only read the first book (Banewreaker). They are basically gods, rather than angels, and the leader of the good guys (who are the bad guys from the book's POV) is called Haomane, but doesn't seem to be especially a guardian of a rift.

There appears to be a guardian god called Helm in the Forgotten Realms D&D setting, could it have been something to do with that? (Apparently there's another series, also called The Sundering, which features a book about Helm by Troy Denning.)

I don't think it was a series, but rather, a standalone novel. Can't remember anything else :(

Offline s_berger

Can anyone help me with these books?
« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2020, 11:58:39 AM »
Hi.  I've been trying to remember the author & names of two books that I read about 20 years ago. I've been through my book cases & can't find them, though I'm sure that they must be there. Ok, here is what I remember:

I think the author was female, but it may have been a male.
I'm pretty sure the main character was female.

The first book had something to do with some kind of haunting in I think a castle and I think pirates treasure.
The second book the character travelled to the Caribbean to solve some kind of mystery & there was voodoo involved.

Sorry, that's all I can remember.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can solve this mystery :)

Shane

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #156 on: August 27, 2020, 01:22:00 PM »
Wow, given those hints I think it might be *really* hard.
@Elfy's the one who knows everything about older books ;D

(I moved your post here, it's the place to ask for books, hope that's ok)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 02:01:15 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #157 on: August 27, 2020, 03:22:01 PM »
On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline s_berger

« Reply #158 on: August 29, 2020, 08:36:03 AM »
Thanks Scarletbea. This was my first time looking at these forums, & obviously I didn't look hard enough.

Offline s_berger

« Reply #159 on: August 29, 2020, 09:00:17 AM »
I went back to my collection & found it :) Sheri S Tepper is the author. Thanks for the help.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #160 on: August 30, 2020, 01:57:15 AM »
I went back to my collection & found it :) Sheri S Tepper is the author. Thanks for the help.

Another one of those authors who was everywhere in the 90s but I don't hear a lot about these days!

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #161 on: August 30, 2020, 04:29:15 AM »
It weirdly enough sounded a but like the lot of one of the seasons of Outlander. I’ve never read any Tepper, so she wouldn’t have occurred to me. As @cupiscent said she’s one of those authors who was prolific in the 90’s, but isn’t seen or spoken about much now.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #162 on: September 02, 2020, 03:26:53 PM »
So are you saying that all I have to do to read a book you haven't Is pick up some Sheri Tepper. After all these years...