June 04, 2020, 04:44:06 PM

Author Topic: TQotD: Without Frodo, Who could have could the Ring to Mordor?  (Read 4258 times)

Offline Overlord

TQotD: Without Frodo, Who could have could the Ring to Mordor?
« on: February 03, 2011, 02:22:53 PM »
Our second Twitter Question of the day:
If Frodo had never been born, what Fantasy Character could have could the ring to Mordor? :D

---

Tweets mentioning @FantasyFaction

LDavidWright  -FantasyFaction Elric could have easily, but he would have probably ended up keeping it.

daddacool - give it to a grey man from WoT, no bugger can see them to start with :)

Ben_Aaronovitch - Nightingale - he'd have used a Wellington Bomber.

Anmol Singh - harry potter

shigzeo - Twitter Question: ring to mordor? the little butterfly thinggy that aided Gandalf, of course! That or the king of the eagles

WriterJeffLane - Roland the Last Gunslinger

mattperspective - Tungdil! From 'The Dwarves'

asmzn2009 - fashion in fantasy remains really constant. Hoods r favorites for their cool and mystery factor.

Passiko- Sam would of been the only one dumb enough to do it. Anyone else would of been tempted and ran off with it.

Hallows1031 - Jaime Lannister could get the ring to Mordor. Sure he'd have no hands and feet by the time he got there but hey...

blodeuedd83 - Hm, couldn't Rand just travel with a portal there, throw it in and that's it, lol. What a boring book that would be

BJMuntain - Character who could transport the ring? Rincewind from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series can do anything (barely)

christinajl_gb - durzo blint!!

bluebookworm - Merry, maybe? But that would suppose Bilbo stayed in Hobbiton longer

nbrown1981 - Jimmy the Hand

ChrisHantzen - It would have to be a flying character, because one does not simply walk into Mordor.

nbrown1981 - Sam - Frodo couldn't have done it without Sam anyway. Merry probably could also.

barryhope- No Frodo? smart money would have been on Gwaihir the Windlord - would have been a short story then.

SeanLocke88 - Gimli - at some point he'd inevitably get drunk enough and just deal with it himself.

JimboConstable - Asher from Kingmaker, Kingbreaker.

becadroit - re Frodo - someone average because the ring's too dangerous for the powerful. So Tinkerbell or the girl from film Labyrinth.

R_A_Mitchell - an evil Legolas would have been awesome. but probably Samwise and the 2 hobbit sidekicks

imquitegood - Optimus Prime. Robots > Orcs.

SimonHurst - Sam!

dylanejackson - Aragorn... or maybe Mat from Wheels of Time... Maybe... *shrugs*

dzhimbo - The Hulk

LisaMParkin -  Definitely Richard Cypher from Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series.Plus his Sam could be Zed

Mcgriffmusings - wow thats a hard one! If we're staying in the story I would go with Arwen. Interesting to see how she would be tested!

dqgneal - Vin Diesel could have gotten the ring to Mordor. Oh, wait. You said Fantasy Novel Character, not just fantasy character.

Theyeballkid - Ford Prefect.

missoularedhead - hahaha. I'm going with the Undying Man, from Russell Kirkpatrick's 'The Broken Man' series.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 02:25:35 PM by Overlord »
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Overlord

Re: TQotD: Without Frodo, Who could have could the Ring to Mordor?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 02:29:12 PM »
I love how some people took it as a literal question and really whacked their brains thinking - others just went all out mental ;) Hulk? Optimus Prime? :D

I think Arlen from Painted Man would have done a pretty good job ;)

Offline shigzeo

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 02:30:54 PM »
Ford Prefect might have made it, yeah.
My Twitter
To infidelity and beyond!

Offline The Mad Hatter

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 02:40:53 PM »
I love how some people took it as a literal question and really whacked their brains thinking - others just went all out mental ;) Hulk? Optimus Prime? :D

I think Arlen from Painted Man would have done a pretty good job ;)

You missed mine - Lupe dy Cazaril

Wayne aka The Mad Hatter

Offline shigzeo

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 03:31:57 PM »
Ford Prefect might have made it, yeah.

I'm a pretty serious bloke. There's no thinking outside the story for me. If I can't wrack my brains to get an answer, I have to squirt them onto a bit of the internet before I feel adventuresome. The butterfly thinggy it is for me, though again, Ford Prefect might have done it.
My Twitter
To infidelity and beyond!

Offline ante_d

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 04:58:17 PM »
I'd say Sauron should had a pretty good chance of pulling it off

Bryndled1

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 05:13:55 PM »
"Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die" Lord of the Rings.

No man could have gotten the ring to Mt Doom, we would just have 10 wraiths instead of 9.

Arwen > Galadriel ? REALLY? I think somebody confused the cinema with the novel. Galadriel turned down the ring and she was all ready a bearer. Arwens only role is " I love you, Aragorn, and if you save the world I'll be your queen!" and then shows up after the deed is done to do so.

"imquitegood-Optimus Prime" This one made me laugh, and not derisively, I thought it was definately thinking outside of the box, and a machine would be less susceptible to the rings power, but thinking of the premise of the book, #1 wouldnt optimus be on the side of technological advancement? #2 even if he was not, wouldnt mordor send its entire might against a giant red and blue beacon of differentness, just to be on the safe side? Stealth was the ally of the companions and there is nothing stealthy about Optimus Prime.

I would have to go with another Hobbit, Probably Merry as well. Gandalf surmised by Bilbo's resistance to the ring, and Golems ability to hold it so long without being drawn back to mordor that hobbits were "resistant" to the rings power, due to their closeness with the earth. so close, in fact, that they build their homes in the earth and the greatest time they can think of is enjoying all the earth has to provide.

AJZaethe

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 05:52:54 PM »
CHUCK NORRIS!  Duh.  I mean, really did that have to go into question?

But to be honest, my vote is with Tom Bombadill.  He was completely unaffected.  And Goldberry at his side could have been like.

"I'm hot, you should be distracted by me and let the fat little man through."  ;)

haha.  Not really, but you know it could have happened.

Offline Overlord

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 05:25:34 AM »
Jack Bauer would have done it... and within 24 hours! :D

Bryndled1

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 01:52:33 PM »

LMAO

Offline Minesril

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 06:26:50 PM »
Hang on just a second: Frodo did, in fact, fail in his mission.  Were it not for Gollum, Frodo would never have thrown the ring in; he would have put the ring on, and two seconds later Sauron would have had it back.

Had Frodo not been born, Bilbo would have probably found another 'favourite nephew' to pass it on to.  Merry or Pippin does seem the likliest choice.

Offline frankiehunter

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 05:48:01 PM »

:D :D :D
Oh, yes he would have done it!!!
Nothing's true - anything is allowed!

Offline professional-liar

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 11:57:13 PM »
I'm not sure who could have done it besides Frodo and, maybe, Chuck Norris.

But, here's how they should have done it.

How Lord of The Rings Should Have Ended
Check out my webcomic-The Venom King www.venomkingcomic.com

Offline KomalJV

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 02:57:20 PM »

SO true!
Only in our darkest places, we find our brightest light

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 04:59:05 PM »
Oh, come now, Jack Bauer would have been a ring-wraith before you could say knife. He'd be all "OOOHHH I know it's bad but I just have to do it this once to SAVE AMERICA and someone has to get their hands dirty and THAT'S MY JOB and you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs" and before you know it he's flying around on a pterodactyl. That's basically what happens in the actual show.

Post-Tombs-of-Atuan Ged could probably have done it.

Within the story, one of the other hobbits. Probably Sam.