May 26, 2020, 11:31:18 AM

Author Topic: Top 5 worst reading experiences of your life  (Read 31253 times)

Offline Fellshot

Re: Top 5 worst reading experiences of your life
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2013, 12:17:00 AM »
My worst reading experience was probably finding a fwapped spider in one. Poor little arachnid.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2013, 02:08:22 AM »
My worst reading experience was probably finding a fwapped spider in one. Poor little arachnid.
A worse reading experience for me would be finding a live one. Did the spider actually obliterate any of the text? That would have been annoying.
I don't know that I've had really bad reading experiences. If I'm disliking a book that much then it generally turns into a wallbanger. One I will agree with is Crossroads of Twilight. That was truly awful. I so whole heartedly agreed with Adam Roberts one line review: drivel. A lot of books that I don't like on first read I may appreciate better on a second, but CoT had virtually no redeeming qualities and I'm not about to put myself through that again.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lionwalker

• Writer of Twilight Fan Fiction
  • Auror
  • Schmoking Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2013, 03:58:13 PM »
Here are mine:

1) Tome of the Undergates - Sam Sykes
2) Seven Princes - John Fultz
3) Empress of Mijak - Karen Miller
4) Pillars of Creation/Naked Empire - Terry Goodkind
5) Crossroads of Twilight - Robert Jordan
Follow me on Twitter: @_Lionwalker

Offline Nestat

• Terry Goodkind's Biggest Fan
  • Ambient Mage
  • The world needs more ginger heroes!
    • View Profile
    • nothingtree.wordpress.com
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2013, 06:43:19 PM »
Here are mine:

Interesting choices, especially the Terry Goodkind because that's when I really started to get disillusioned with his work and realised I was only still reading the series because it was there.

I know I've rubbished him in the past but, and despite another member's distaste for him, it's easy to see why he was so popular. He was the first grimdark writer I read. Wizard's First Rule came out before Game of Thrones, and well before Abercrombie or any of those other young upstarts happened long.

He was never going to win the Pulitzer, but it was just so refreshing to see such explicitly nasty things happening to fantasy people. Just a shame the bad writing and plotting just kept deteriorating to make me so apathetic towards anyone and anything in the series.

Anyway, I can't think of five so I'll give my top three:

Pillars of Creation - Terry Goodkind
Mass Effect: Deception - William C. Deitz
Flight of the Nighthawks - Raymond E. Feist

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 10:28:10 PM by Nestat »
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. They have not forgotten this." - Terry Pratchett

Offline Elspeth Cooper

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2013, 07:42:07 PM »
Look at what happened to that dude with Demon Trilogy.
If you mean Peter Brett and The Demon Cycle, it was *always* going to be 5 books. The idea that it was a trilogy came about because Del Rey only gave him a three-book contract: http://www.petervbrett.com/2012/01/01/daylight-war-release-dates-and-the-demon-cycle/

*returns to the gloom of proofreading hell*
The Wild Hunt: Songs of the Earth  |  Trinity Rising  |  The Raven's Shadow  |  The Dragon House

Offline Sean Cunningham

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2013, 10:12:17 PM »
A worse reading experience for me would be finding a live one. Did the spider actually obliterate any of the text? That would have been annoying.

Imagine if you opened a book to a page, and the page had the word "spider" on it, and the word spider became a spider and jumped at you.
"You can't prove it won't happen."
- Futurama

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2013, 10:20:15 PM »
Once I borrowed a copy of Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams from the library and some wit had tippexed out the name of one of the naturalists and replaced it with Roland Rat throughout the entire chapter he featured in.  Very annoying.  Especially as my Mum read it after me and blamed me.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2013, 10:24:30 PM »
Oh and there was a German Language copy of Mein Kampft in my Secondary School library which someone had written in the flyleaf "To my darling fraulein, love Adolf."
The Real Powers That Be

Offline tenlegdragon

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2013, 12:54:41 AM »
Here are mine:

Interesting choices, especially the Terry Goodkind because that's when I really started to get disillusioned with his work and realised I was only still reading the series because it was there.

I know I've rubbished him in the past but, and despite another member's distaste for him, it's easy to see why he was so popular. He was the first grimdark writer I read. Wizard's First Rule came out before Game of Thrones, and well before Abercrombie or any of those other young upstarts happened long.

He was never going to win the Pulitzer, but it was just so refreshing to see such explicitly nasty things happening to fantasy people. Just a shame the bad writing and plotting just kept deteriorating to make me so apathetic towards anyone and anything in the series.

Anyway, I can't think of five so I'll give my top three:

Pillars of Creation - Terry Goodkind
Mass Effect: Deception - William C. Deitz
Flight of the Nighthawks - Raymond E. Feist

I was 12 or something the first time I weird Wizards first rule and I hated it, because it was just so cheesy, but I read Pillars of Creation at complete random after my bro recommended it. And I was like "Why is this Mother Confessor thing so familiar?" but I loved it. That's the one with Obah Rhal who skins the Demon snake, right? I went back to read the others in order and stopped somewhere around the 4th book where Richard had a serial killer undercover rapist brother or something.

Somewhere along there I stopped. Not my worst, but severely aggravating. When he's good, he's marvelous, but there's some cringe tucked away in there. My favourite one I think is book 3? with the Templars?

And I have a strict "No Feist" policy in place, but can't remember which book it was that caused that.

Look at what happened to that dude with Demon Trilogy.
If you mean Peter Brett and The Demon Cycle, it was *always* going to be 5 books. The idea that it was a trilogy came about because Del Rey only gave him a three-book contract: http://www.petervbrett.com/2012/01/01/daylight-war-release-dates-and-the-demon-cycle/

*returns to the gloom of proofreading hell*

Not sure what the details were, but that was just embarrassing. The thing was named "Demon Trilogy". I remember PVB giving some convoluted explanation in a video on Amazon I think, and all I was wondering is how does this guy not have some kind of publicist to make sure these things go over smoothly? No problem in writing more books, just don't tell somebody sitting with a book in their hand named "Demon Trilogy" that it was never going to be 3 books. It implies a sort of idiocy on the part of the reader.
"What luck for rulers that men do not think."

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2013, 01:29:49 AM »

Imagine if you opened a book to a page, and the page had the word "spider" on it, and the word spider became a spider and jumped at you.
Not helping! I am now going to have nightmares about that. I thought they way they did the cover of This Book is Full of Spiders was interesting, little paper spiders that did look very real and three dimensional.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2013, 10:02:55 AM »
Not a Trilogy!

First off, the Demon Cycle is not a trilogy. The third book, The Daylight War, will NOT end the series. It was always intended to be a series of five books. A quintet.

This is a confusing point, though, because the series was widely marketed as a trilogy in the early days. It’s an understandable error that isn’t really anyone’s fault, but one that has caused me an ongoing headache these past years.

When I initially sold The Warded Man to Del Rey, they asked about my plans for sequels. I did a treatment for the series showing the full story arc. That treatment was for five books. I noted that while the arcs for all the main characters would resolve in the fifth book, I might continue to write further stories set in the same world with different characters or at different time periods (like The Great Bazaar and Brayan’s Gold).

But I was also realistic, and at the end of my presentation, I noted that if I HAD to close it out in three books, I theoretically could, but really didn’t wanna.

Del Rey hedged their bets (a totally fair move on their part), offering to buy the first three books and see how it went. Several other markets, like the UK, Australia, France, Germany, Poland, etc., quickly followed suit and bought three books as well.

Happily—and thanks especially to you, my fans—the series took off and I never had to worry about what I might need to do to force the story into three books. However, since the initial contracts in so many countries matched the length of the original Del Rey contract, the book media and some internal marketing teams assumed (not unreasonably) it was to be a trilogy. It was widely reported as such with the viral speed of the internet, and has caused wildfires I’ve been trying to extinguish ever since.

I have since signed contracts in the US and UK for another three full novels after The Daylight War. The first two if these will be the final books of the original quintet. The last will be a standalone novel set in the same world with some shared characters. It is plotted out already and I think it will be a kickass book that will appeal to both fans of the series and new readers.

As written by Peter V Brett on his blog.  Seems pretty clear to me.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline OneChapterMore

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2013, 10:09:31 PM »
Worst in the last few years?

Jennifer Government by Max Barry
The Left Hand of God - Paul Hoffman
A Case of Conscience - James Blish

Probably add Twilight to that. God that was awful.
Blog: Onechaptermore
@onechaptermore

I ramble with Lor and The Idlewilder at Rambling Through Genre

"I have within me all the dreams of the world"
- Fernando Pessoa

Offline tenlegdragon

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2013, 11:20:52 AM »
Not a Trilogy!

First off, the Demon Cycle is not a trilogy. The third book, The Daylight War, will NOT end the series. It was always intended to be a series of five books. A quintet.

This is a confusing point, though, because the series was widely marketed as a trilogy in the early days. It’s an understandable error that isn’t really anyone’s fault, but one that has caused me an ongoing headache these past years.

When I initially sold The Warded Man to Del Rey, they asked about my plans for sequels. I did a treatment for the series showing the full story arc. That treatment was for five books. I noted that while the arcs for all the main characters would resolve in the fifth book, I might continue to write further stories set in the same world with different characters or at different time periods (like The Great Bazaar and Brayan’s Gold).

But I was also realistic, and at the end of my presentation, I noted that if I HAD to close it out in three books, I theoretically could, but really didn’t wanna.

Del Rey hedged their bets (a totally fair move on their part), offering to buy the first three books and see how it went. Several other markets, like the UK, Australia, France, Germany, Poland, etc., quickly followed suit and bought three books as well.

Happily—and thanks especially to you, my fans—the series took off and I never had to worry about what I might need to do to force the story into three books. However, since the initial contracts in so many countries matched the length of the original Del Rey contract, the book media and some internal marketing teams assumed (not unreasonably) it was to be a trilogy. It was widely reported as such with the viral speed of the internet, and has caused wildfires I’ve been trying to extinguish ever since.

I have since signed contracts in the US and UK for another three full novels after The Daylight War. The first two if these will be the final books of the original quintet. The last will be a standalone novel set in the same world with some shared characters. It is plotted out already and I think it will be a kickass book that will appeal to both fans of the series and new readers.

As written by Peter V Brett on his blog.  Seems pretty clear to me.

Dude, I'm not a PVB fan. I've only read a couple chapters in the first one and stopped because I didn't like his style. All I said, was that I own a copy of the book labelled "Trilogy" right smack on the cover and the video I chanced across with him explaining that it was always going to be how many ever books just felt a tad insulting because (you seem to be a follower so you can check search it out), it came across as a guy telling me that a trilogy doesn't always mean 3. It might have been bad phrasing simply or irritation on my part or me not caring enough in the first place, but it was embarrassing anyway I look at it. I have the book and the audiobook of the first one still on my phone to this day. Not going to listen to it anytime soon. He's probably after Sanderson Warbreaker? in the line up. My brother's a fan. Keeps trying to entice me into it. So you don't have to sell him to me. Really you don't. He has a mack truck of hype behind him.

I don't like the novel because I don't think he writes well (and the plot feels like a cliche storm 5 chapters in), and from the video I saw, I had a cringe moment. Never had a cringe moment? He's not as snotty as GRRM when he deals with his fans though which is hella commendable, and I actually saw this very said blog post already and I follow him on twitter because he seems like a cool guy and when he's done with this demon "saga" I might check out his next work.

But I am not a fan at this point in time and hence do not care how many books his Demon trilogy or non trilogy comprises of. Why do you care so much? Way off topic since I'm figuring you had a good time reading the book while I haven't read enough to have a valid opinion on its quality. I'm less than a third in so I'm not calling it one of my most horrible reading experiences. It was barely any kind of experience at all. Just neutral, simply. It's still on my phone though, so you can rest easy. I know how it is to be a hardcore fan, though, so I apologise for any offence, any phrasing poorly chosen. Peace?

Don't worry. I'll get down to it. It costs money. ;)
"What luck for rulers that men do not think."

Offline Elspeth Cooper

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2013, 11:52:48 AM »
If you're not a fan and you really don't care how many books there are, why are you whinging so much about it? Brett's post (that I linked you to, and that was then quoted for you here) explains exactly what happened. It wasn't his fault that some people (even within his own publisher) assumed a three book deal meant a trilogy. I got a three book deal, and my series is four books, so I could have been in exactly the same boat as Peter. Luckily, I wasn't.

Okay, I get that you don't like Brett's style, and don't want to read his books. That's fine; each to their own. And no-one is arguing that you don't have a book that says "Trilogy" on the front - publishers are people too, and people make mistakes. I've had draft cover artwork released before it's ready - twice! - but these things are not the author's fault, so quit trying to blame Peter for something he had no control over, and has gone on record at length trying to explain.

And please stop with the snark, as well. "It's still on my phone, so you can rest easy" adds nothing to the debate, and is unnecessarily antagonistic.
The Wild Hunt: Songs of the Earth  |  Trinity Rising  |  The Raven's Shadow  |  The Dragon House

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2013, 07:59:09 PM »
Well being such a hardcore Peter V Brett fan, I will have to say my worst reading experience is any book not written by the master of words, Peter V Brett.  If read Game of Thrones I just find myself screaming, 'Where are you god damn wards, Jon Snow?"  Similarly The Midnight Circus would have been much improved by a group of daemons rising every night, and daemon tamers riding out to do battle with them.  Lord of the Rings as well.  Imagine if the hobbits had to defend the Shire every night from daemons?  Would have been way more awesome.  Now I am off to reread The Daylight War for the 10th time in a row, and see if I missed any hints at what might be coming in book 4. 
The Real Powers That Be