August 09, 2020, 04:12:05 PM

Author Topic: Top 100 - Goodreads  (Read 409 times)

Online Bender

Top 100 - Goodreads
« on: July 15, 2020, 10:12:27 PM »
Sci-Fi: https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/1874
Fantasy: https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/1875

I've read only 19 in SF and 23 in Fantasy. Quite a weird list.

List by number of readers than popularity, I presume.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Cherie

Re: Top 100 - Goodreads
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 10:28:56 PM »
29 sci-fi and 45 fantasy for me. There are many on both lists that are on TBR pile that I just haven't got to yet.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 10:39:45 PM »
24 of the SF, which isn't all that surprising, as I skew more fantasy than SF, and 60 of the ones on the fantasy list.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline hexa

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 10:54:04 PM »
23 sci-fi and 20 fantasy

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 11:19:24 PM »
23 SF
27 Fantasy

A fair few on the fantasy list I've never heard of. Could it be that I'm losing touch?
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 03:25:48 AM »
12 SF list (although I'd classify a few of those as Fantasy)
42 Fantasy (again with a few mislabelings, I think)

Agree, some very strange books in those lists... Alex, not really, as there are many really old books there and it's an American list (some of those covers :o), so they might not be as common around here (also what I feel sometimes when I browse the Tor blog)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline isos81

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 05:19:54 AM »
23 fantasy. Didn't even check SF ;D
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 05:23:34 AM »
I've read (or tried to read) 60 of the Fantasy list.

But there wasn't really anything on there that I hadn't heard of before, though there were certainly some covers I hadn't seen.  I'm really curious to hear what other folk found strange!

And 21 of the Sci-fi, which is surprising to me, but my adolescent fondness for Michael Crichton and my older fondness for Stephenson are bumping up my numbers there. :D

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 07:58:57 AM »
They also included fairy tales and myths under fantasy, which I don't normally include - my Madeleine Millers and Grimm's Tales* are not in my fantasy shelves hehe

It does say that it's based on number of reviews, which for me is a really bad (to be polite) way of compiling any 'best of' lists...

* Speaking of which, I read them as a child, like everybody, but as an adult I also got the complete edition: trust me, it looks like they combined all the drafts in a single book, as there are many stories that are basically the same, just changing a little idea or character! Or maybe both brothers found the same story and they decided to include both, not to play favourites ;D

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 08:34:54 AM »
I've read (or tried to read) 60 of the Fantasy list.

But there wasn't really anything on there that I hadn't heard of before, though there were certainly some covers I hadn't seen.  I'm really curious to hear what other folk found strange!

And 21 of the Sci-fi, which is surprising to me, but my adolescent fondness for Michael Crichton and my older fondness for Stephenson are bumping up my numbers there. :D
I was similar to you @cupiscent , in that I didn’t see much that I found all that out of place, so I too am interested in what others thought were odd inclusions.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 11:16:43 AM »
I've read or tried to read 22 on the fantasy list. Not an avid reader of scifi, hahah. It seemed like another one of those typical list with a collection of the most famous adult and YA fantasy in one place.

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 11:32:27 AM »
Never heard of the following from the fantasy list:

Murakami-1Q84
Kim Harrison-Dead Witch Walking
Ilona Andrews-Magic Bites
Amish-The Immortals of Meluha
Noelle Stevenson-Nimona
Kelley Armstrong-Bitten
Alice Hoffmann-Practical Magic
The Book of Lost Things-John Connolly
Juliet Marillier-Daughter of the Forest

Looking over again, some of them seem to be graphic novels. Between that, urban/contemporary fantasy and the fairy tales, it's no wonder I haven't read that many.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 12:23:09 PM »
Never heard of the following from the fantasy list:

Murakami-1Q84
Kim Harrison-Dead Witch Walking
Ilona Andrews-Magic Bites
Amish-The Immortals of Meluha
Noelle Stevenson-Nimona
Kelley Armstrong-Bitten
Alice Hoffmann-Practical Magic
The Book of Lost Things-John Connolly
Juliet Marillier-Daughter of the Forest

Thank you for letting me know! Some very big urban fantasy names in there - Kelley Armstrong is one of the ones that I've read, in fact I have her on my physical bookshelf. :) And the Alice Hoffman was turned into a movie with Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock.

I know nothing about the Murakami but I've seen it all over the place - I think it's one of those lit-fic-with-heavy-fantasy-slant (much like the Ishiguru, who I think appears more on the sci-fi list). Somewhat similarly, I have never seen anything about the Amish book from fantasy readers, though I have seen it all over the place - when I look up the publisher, their twitter blurb says "Indian publisher of bestselling books, for readers of every stripe" so perhaps it was never actually marketed straight as fantasy, though it IS an Amazon imprint, so maybe it got a lot of push through algorithms.

I am surprised that you haven't heard of the Marillier - I thought her one of Australia's most well-known epic fantasy exports! That book is about 20 years old now, though that's one where the cover that's on the list is not one I have EVER seen in a bookshop.

I'm with you on the John Connolly though - never heard of it! (Though I've seen his name all over thrillers everywhere.)

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 01:01:52 PM »
I'm with you on the John Connolly though - never heard of it! (Though I've seen his name all over thrillers everywhere.)
Funnily enough, I've read this book, back in 2012, from the library.
I really can't remember what made me choose it, if it was a recc somewhere or I was just browsing.
I gave it 3 stars and I can't remember much - even reading the summary on wikipedia ???

Online Bender

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 02:53:33 PM »
Somewhat similarly, I have never seen anything about the Amish book from fantasy readers, though I have seen it all over the place - when I look up the publisher, their twitter blurb says "Indian publisher of bestselling books, for readers of every stripe" so perhaps it was never actually marketed straight as fantasy, though it IS an Amazon imprint, so maybe it got a lot of push through algorithms.

I've recommended Amish's Immortals for  book club read some months ago. It's a kind of new take on Indian mythology. Since I'm familiar with the mythology, I was able to appreciate the new take. Though as a standalone book, it still is a fine read (I think). A person can appreciate Hindu mythology better having read these.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6