December 10, 2019, 06:43:28 PM

Author Topic: Tolkien Ripoffs?  (Read 4928 times)

Offline Takoren

Re: Tolkien Ripoffs?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 05:38:06 PM »
Try  Dennis McKiernan should keep you busy 17 book in total I think

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Dragonstone (Mithgar Series (Chronological) #1)

Welcome to Mithgar, Dennis L. McKiernan’s classic bestselling fantasy series of adventure where legends are forged in the fires of sorcery....

For as long as she can remember, the Elven Lady Arin has been besieged by visions from the past—or the future. But none has ever left her so shaken as the one that foretells the fall of Mithgar: images of raging dragons and brutal legions laying waste to everything in their path signifying a devastating war that will threaten the land.

There is more to the prophecy than a warning—riddles within the vision that Arin must decipher if she is to prevent the forthcoming destruction. And it will take a journey across countless leagues—connected to a relic of immense power known as the Dragonstone—to find the answers to Mithgar’s salvation.... (less)

A series that features the kind of elves, dwarves, dark lords and such that the OP mentioned would be Dennis McKiernan's Mithgar. It's even written in a way that hearkens back to Tolkien, which isn't surprising since Mr. McKiernan's first effort, The Silver Call duology was meant to be a sequel to LotR. The Tolkien estate declined his efforts, so the publisher informed him he'd have to rework his world and characters. Thus, was born The Iron Tower trilogy, a story often decimated for being utterly derivative of LotR because by design, to get to The Silver Call it had to be. I think there are now 14 or 15 books in the Mithgar series, and after Iron Tower, they spin on with their own original plots and world building whilst (lovely British word) retaining their Tolkienesque sensibility.
Writing a new LOTR was exactly McKiernan's goal. He wanted to write a sequel to it, but couldn't secure the rights. So he submitted what he wrote to a publisher, after changing all the names, and the publisher liked it but wanted him to write the "prequel" first, so he essentially re-wrote LOTR with the names changed.

But I would agree that the influence of Tolkien is overstated dramatically. I've heard David Gemmell and GRRM compared to him. The only thing those writers have in common with Tolkien is that they all write period fantasy.
"The battle's won easy and the war's won cheap
My lords seem to trust me but I'm just 18
So I'll hang their hides from the bannisters
When I take my revenge on the Lannisters
Got engaged to a Frey so I could win a free pass
Can't get with Talisa but damn dat ass
Hey, hey, I wanna be Robb Stark..."

Offline Katyda

• Tribute
  • "A Spark of Life for the Dark of Death"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 06:44:03 PM »
@Katyda I think we have misread you and maybe you meant that you liked Tolkien's LOTR and want something similar
Or do you really mean that you want a story making fun of LOTR or a take-off of the style?  This is what we would see as a Rip-Off and why you have confused answers.

Please can you tell us more exactly what you wanted?
Ok wrong choice of words, I don't mean a "ripoff" of LOTR. I just want a book that has certain characteristics of it like magical artifacts, elves, battles, maybe a little bit of humor, nonstop action and danger, and maybe a little dash of suspense.
The Forest is my family

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 01:13:05 AM »
Thanks Katyda, now it's clear. Here's my suggestion because I still re-read this series to relax and enjoy and you may like it too.

Oldfashioned perhaps, but still classic fantasy,  The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

Has elves, good and evil sorcerers, knights, dwarves, goblins, magnificent dragons and a certain entertaining kender plus more.  Action, suspense, adventure, humour, touch of romance but not too much, and generally just great fun.

Many of us followed our love for fantasy here, either before or after starting off on LOTR.  Suggest you get hold of the first one Dragons of Autumn Twilight and see what you think.

“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 04:01:02 AM »
@Katyda I think we have misread you and maybe you meant that you liked Tolkien's LOTR and want something similar
Or do you really mean that you want a story making fun of LOTR or a take-off of the style?  This is what we would see as a Rip-Off and why you have confused answers.

Please can you tell us more exactly what you wanted?
Ok wrong choice of words, I don't mean a "ripoff" of LOTR. I just want a book that has certain characteristics of it like magical artifacts, elves, battles, maybe a little bit of humor, nonstop action and danger, and maybe a little dash of suspense.

If you're not looking for great writing, there are quite a few choices out there. Terry Brooks's Shannara series is heavy on most of the elements you like. Feist's Riftwar cycle has a lot of these elements. Then there's Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms (though I personally find the writing in both of them to be too clunky for my tastes, I still enjoy reading them).

If you're willing to go more modern with your selections, I think Michael J. Sullivan's Riyria Revelations series hits on a lot of these same notes (it even has elves).

Offline magisensei

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 04:38:51 PM »
One of the things that stand out for me about Tolkien and LoTR is that it is a quest fantasy - gathering companions and journeying on some kind of adventure. 

You might consider some of the following:

Tad Williams' - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Joe Abercrombie's The First Law - is a quest like fantasy in the way LoTR is although no elves or dwarves. 

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series - the first 3 books only is also quest like in the first few novels. 

David Eddings Belgariad series also has a quest like theme to its books - companions gather on a quest - but no elves or dwarves. 

Offline Roelor

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 05:00:00 PM »
Wow, with 4 books, you managed to hit 2 of my favorites Magisensei <3

Offline Katyda

• Tribute
  • "A Spark of Life for the Dark of Death"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 02:07:56 PM »
Wow, with 4 books, you managed to hit 2 of my favorites Magisensei <3
which ones are your favorite?
The Forest is my family

Offline Roelor

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 10:16:32 AM »
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series
and
Tad Williams' - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn -  the first book takes ages, but then it's pure <3 for me.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »
If you love Tolkien and aren't opposed to reading YA (and why should you be?) then a wonderful series is Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain,network my with The Book of Three. Which is lovely, but has flaws. Get to the second book and you'll be happy lord for all 5 if you weren't by the first.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 07:02:41 PM »
Can someone change the topic thread to Books Similar to Tolkien or something, Probably just me but  I feel like I'm disrespecting the books with ripoff in the title  ;D
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Benstory

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2016, 05:52:05 AM »
Not a rip off, but you might like for the retro-cool fantasy if you like Tolkien:

Poul Anderson - The Broken Sword
                         Three Hearts and Three Lions

I think he was the inspiration for the depiction of several monsters in the original dungeons and dragons game (trolls definitely)

Offline vgunn

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2016, 01:04:58 PM »
Not all are clones, but have some similarities.

Kristen Britain -- Green Rider
Terry Brooks -- (original) Shannara Trilogy
CJ Cherryh -- Dreaming Tree Duology
Jacqueline Carey -- Banewrecker (Sundering Trilogy)
Lord Dunsay -- The King of Elfland's Daughter
Raymond Feist -- Riftwar Saga
Madeline Howard -- The Hidden Stars (The Rune of Unmaking)
Guy Gavriel Kay -- Fionavar Tapestry
Dennis McKiernan -- Iron Tower Trilogy and Silver Call Duology
William Morris -- House of the Wolfings
Mel Odom -- Rover Trilogy
Nancy Springer -- Book of Isle Tetrology (The White Hart, The Silver Sun, The Sable Moon, The Black Beast)

Offline Rostum

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2016, 04:48:45 PM »
Hello Vgunn what a strange and extensive list. A couple of those were published decades before LoTR as well.
Mirkwood appears in House of the Wolflings so Tolkien was not adverse to ripping off other writers as well as robbing the sagas.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 04:53:32 PM by Rostum »

Offline vgunn

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2016, 10:55:14 PM »
Hello Vgunn what a strange and extensive list. A couple of those were published decades before LoTR as well.
Mirkwood appears in House of the Wolflings so Tolkien was not adverse to ripping off other writers as well as robbing the sagas.

Tolkien was a big fan of Dunsay and Morris. A major inspiration for The Hobbit came from George MacDonald's The Princess and the Goblin.

CJ Cherryh and Nancy Springer's take on Elves in their books is very reminiscent of Tolkien. Both of theirs were excellent in that regard. They remain favorites of mine. Teresa Edgerton AKA Madeline Howard is just an amazingly talented writer who has never gotten the credit she is due. Brooks & McKiernan, both wrote "rip offs" but ended up expanding their own universes beyond this. To a less extent, the same for Feist--his was a bit more original. The same for Kay. Kristen Britain is another extremely talented writer and there were some definite Tolkien moments in the Green Rider series. Carey's Banewreaker is worth reading just because of its perspective (that from a Sauron-like POV). Mel Odom's little people are an homage to Tolkien's Hobbits and the adventures they get into.

Offline AzWingsFan

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2016, 02:56:32 AM »
I'd say Thomas Covenant has much Tolkien-esque familiarity to it, althought I've only read the first, and besides not giving any fucks about what happens to Thomas, it was quite boring. That and the going back to the real world really lost me. Everyone always complains about the rape, but it fit, and that's not what bothered me about Book 1. Just couldn't care about anything that happened to anybody.
Fan of Classic/Epic Fantasy and Grimdark

Working on writing a book. Any advice will be taken graciously.