September 18, 2019, 11:22:23 PM

Author Topic: Tiffany Aching series (Discworld)  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Victoria Hooper

Tiffany Aching series (Discworld)
« on: August 02, 2016, 03:40:06 PM »
Hey everyone!

I'd like to put together a review for Fantasy Faction of the Tiffany Aching series as a whole and wondered what other people's reactions to the series have been. It'd be great to get a bunch of the community's thoughts into the article!

For me, it's one of my favourites in the Discworld series. I love the characters and Tiffany is such a great protagonist. She listens to advice but also isn't afraid to follow her own head and sets her own path even in the face of some very strong people like Granny Weatherwax. I love the mixture of humour with some very deep stuff, which is pretty common to all Discworld books but the Tiffany ones often feel more reflective than some others. And there are fantastic supporting characters!

What are other people's thoughts on the series? Do you think it's a good place to introduce people to the Discworld? Also, let me know if you'd be ok with me including your thoughts in the review, or if you have any mini one or two sentence reviews/personal reactions to the series that you'd like to add to the article.  :)

Offline Rostum

Re: Tiffany Aching series (Discworld)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 07:44:51 PM »
Somewhere there is an interview with Sir pTerry where he talks about how proud he is of being made an honorary Brownie (younger girl scout) for writing Tiff as a sensible heroine. in the same interview he talks about a signing in  a shopping centre when a Morris troupe turned up and danced a dark morris silently then left without a word.
I have looked and can't find the article.

If these two things are not true they should be.

Edit: http://www.lookoutmountainbookstore.com/?page=shop/disp&pid=page_Gaiman
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 11:54:37 PM by Rostum »

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 09:01:08 PM »
For me, it's one of my favourites in the Discworld series. I love the characters and Tiffany is such a great protagonist. She listens to advice but also isn't afraid to follow her own head and sets her own path even in the face of some very strong people like Granny Weatherwax. I love the mixture of humour with some very deep stuff, which is pretty common to all Discworld books but the Tiffany ones often feel more reflective than some others. And there are fantastic supporting characters!
Not much to add to this. It's definitely the best starting point for younger readers (depending on what they like the amazing Maurice and his educated rodents is the other starting point I'd recommend), which doesn't mean that they aren't enjoyable for all ages. Tiff's books cover all the big themes in life in a very sensible, emotional and sincere way. Love, Grief, Growing-up, Fighting for what you believe in or what you need/want to protect, humour, philosophy, humanity. It's all there. I think in this series, and maybe because it is for younger readers too, Sir Terry upped his game and wrote his best and smoothest books. It's not by accident that his last book concludes this series.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 11:55:49 PM »
2015 Book Club! Yay, Wee Free Men!
http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/(apr-2015)-wee-free-men/

Loved this book. For me, the scene at the beginning with the teachers at the fair is priceless. I found myself texting the best quotes to my grown kids, and saying "Read this book now!"
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 02:26:16 AM »
Asking as someone who only read the first few TP books, what are the titles of the books on this series?
I now want to read them :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 08:39:35 AM »
Asking as someone who only read the first few TP books, what are the titles of the books on this series?
1. Wee Free Men
2. A Hat full of Sky
3. The Wintersmith
4. I shall wear Midnight
5. Shepherd's Crown

:)

Offline Victoria Hooper

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 09:55:50 AM »
Some great thoughts here, thanks everyone! Xiagan, you're so right about the books covering the big themes, which is interesting considering that out of all his books these are the ones that most deal with small communities and ordinary people trying to live their lives. Mind if I quote you in the review?  :)

Somewhere there is an interview with Sir pTerry where he talks about how proud he is of being made an honorary Brownie (younger girl scout) for writing Tiff as a sensible heroine. in the same interview he talks about a signing in  a shopping centre when a Morris troupe turned up and danced a dark morris silently then left without a word.
I have looked and can't find the article.

If these two things are not true they should be.

Edit: http://www.lookoutmountainbookstore.com/?page=shop/disp&pid=page_Gaiman

Thanks for the link! I hadn't heard the brownie story before, that's brilliant!  ;D

Oh, I'm pretty sure I remember reading about the troupe that performed the dark Morris for him, I'll have to see if I can find the interview. Thanks for reminding me about that!

Yeeesss! You should. I think you'd really like Tiffany  :)

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 09:00:14 PM »
Mind if I quote you in the review?  :)
Not at all. :)

Yes, Bea. Tiff is your kind of hero, I think. :)

Offline Victoria Hooper

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 09:30:46 AM »
The post is up on the site now.  :) Thanks again everyone!

http://fantasy-faction.com/2016/tiffany-aching-discworld-series-review

Online JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 12:00:47 PM »
The post is up on the site now.  :) Thanks again everyone!

http://fantasy-faction.com/2016/tiffany-aching-discworld-series-review

AWESOME!
You really captured the reasons these stories are so great.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 01:02:30 PM »
I've just bought The Wee Free Men because of this (well, the original thread, hehe) ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Victoria Hooper

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 05:18:59 PM »
AWESOME!
You really captured the reasons these stories are so great.

Thanks!  ;D

I've just bought The Wee Free Men because of this (well, the original thread, hehe) ;D

Hooray! Hope you enjoy it!

Offline Peat

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 05:43:29 PM »
I have to admit, I've never been a huge fan of the Tiffany Aching series. Not sure why. I might pick up the Wee Free Men and go again.

It does bring home to me just how fantastic Sir Pterry was at writing heroines. There were a few comments about Discworld dominating the Favourite Protagonists book battle. If you were to do a Favourite Female Protagonists book battle (and the FP one was an absolute sausage fest) I think he'd dominate even more. I don't think there was anything much to it other than writing a lot of women and writing them intelligent sensible people, but its more than many did.

I still haven't finished the series. I didn't finish the last couple of Discworlds because I thought his style changed for the worse. But I can't bring myself to really read The Shepherd's Crown properly because there's too many emotions there. One day.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/