September 17, 2019, 03:55:17 AM

Author Topic: This website is being ruined.  (Read 5562 times)

Offline Rakbeater

This website is being ruined.
« on: June 21, 2015, 02:09:42 PM »
I'm involved in politics:  I pay attention.  Sports, books, and Writing are my escape from the real world and politics.  This site has always been a great place for me to go and escape.  Sports isn't always a politics free zone anymore and unfortunately, on Father's Day , I head to one of my favorite websites to read the latest articles and I'm reading about divisive politics.  My "safe" places are disappearing, and it is very sad for me. 

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
Re: This website is being ruined.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 02:41:38 PM »
I'm involved in politics:  I pay attention.  Sports, books, and Writing are my escape from the real world and politics.  This site has always been a great place for me to go and escape.  Sports isn't always a politics free zone anymore and unfortunately, on Father's Day , I head to one of my favorite websites to read the latest articles and I'm reading about divisive politics.  My "safe" places are disappearing, and it is very sad for me.
Truly, I shed a tear that this website isn't specifically catering to you and your tastes.

Seriously though, if you don't like reading articles about divisive politics, don't read those articles. It's that simple. There are plenty others with little-to-no politics in them for you to enjoy.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 02:50:40 PM »
Is this the Hugo Schmugo debate?  I got the gist from that article that the writer was arguing Literary Awards were kinda meaningless, so the politicking was all rather daft.  I disagree, I think awards have a lot of merit, and sad that people have undermined the awards with politicking but the writer didn't condemn anyone, so not really sure why the offense.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 03:22:28 PM »
The most current article is nowhere near as inflammatory as the "Breakfast of Bullshit" one that actually gave me pause. I almost commented, said I was sad something like this actually got through, but after reading it again I didn't really care. Wasn't going to stir the pot anymore and give people more ammunition against the (dwindling) right-wing population in SFF. (See, we can be reasonable!  :P)

As RA said, though in a kind of tactless way, if you don't want politics in your cereal, don't eat the cereal. There's plenty of other bowls to try on this site.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Francis Knight

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 06:56:16 PM »
The politics is a bit of a bugger true

It's even more of a bugger for those of us it directly affects

But where you get people. you get politics. (politics comes from the Greek, meaning , relating to or for the people)

Fiction has politics, fantasy has politics in it, so does SF (arguably more) James Bond books are escapist fun..and involve politics.

There IS no escape

While I get that you do not necessarily want it when you are reading, it is unavoidable when numbers of people get together.

Get five people to talk about Game of Thrones, politics.

So, yeah I know what you mean. But this is a site relatively free of them, though as said, no one can totally avoid hem. Easily sorted if you can't stomach any more by not reading threads you don't want to?. So, I dunnow, do that? Read the threads/articles that interest you instead?

Because it wasn't diplomatic upthread, but this place is for everyone. To discuss what they want to. Not just for you
My tongue has been in my cheek for so long, I've eroded a new mouth.

Duellists Trilogy (as Julia Knight) coming soon from Orbit!

http://www.juliaknight.co.uk/

Offline Rostum

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 08:46:08 PM »
Hi Rakbeater

I note you have only 4 posts, Three others and this one to note your displeasure with the way things are going.
I have been around only a short while myself, less time than you by a long way so I guess you lurk a lot.
Is it the Forum or the website that is being spoilt for you?

Perhaps you could participate and shape it in a small way into what you wish to see here.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 09:29:03 AM »
Basically what Francis said - as much as I dislike the whole Hugo's thing, it is kind of a big thing at the moment.

Honestly, that article was positively tame. If you object to that then do not read other sites that carry news and articles, and for the love of everything you hold dear, don't read the comments!

I do get what you mean though. I too am fed up with all the politics and spewing of muck and harsh words and such, but at least here that is easily avoided and you can get on with people enthusing about the great things they have read and watched.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Rakbeater

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 04:47:24 AM »
Hi Rakbeater

I note you have only 4 posts, Three others and this one to note your displeasure with the way things are going.
I have been around only a short while myself, less time than you by a long way so I guess you lurk a lot.
Is it the Forum or the website that is being spoilt for you?

Perhaps you could participate and shape it in a small way into what you wish to see here.

I just lurk....I use tapatalk on my phone for the forums but I really enjoy stopping by to read the articles, and if I knew certain articles were political I would have avoided them, but I just didn't expect it. I assumed the conflict over the awards was something other than politics.  I guess I should have known better.  I'm not here everyday, I just stop in to read the latest articles and enjoy myself.  I suppose I went a little overboard with the whole "the site is ruined" bit, but I just hate the BS that there are only 2 sides, everyone fits into 1 or the other, and the other side (of yours) are all a bunch of evil, terrible, (fill in your sterotype) people.  I guess I have been naively assuming on a subconscious level that on a site like this, where we all have common ground in our love of fantasy, that we could focus on that instead of getting tangled in the weeds of divisive politics.  Obviously I'm back, because I miss my fantasy faction action, so the site isn't really ruined for me.

Offline Francis Knight

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 11:37:10 AM »
  I guess I have been naively assuming on a subconscious level that on a site like this, where we all have common ground in our love of fantasy, that we could focus on that instead of getting tangled in the weeds of divisive politics.  Obviously I'm back, because I miss my fantasy faction action, so the site isn't really ruined for me.

Not naive, no. We're all here to discuss fantasy because we love it (well, I am anyway!). But sometimes those discussions will include what is happening in the community also. This particular one (Puppies and Hugos) has been rumbling on a while though, and frankly I'm often not in the mood for it! So I do sympathise. I've found it reasonably easy to avoid then. And the political stuff is mostly in the articles when it does appear, not the threads, so maybe read the forum more?
My tongue has been in my cheek for so long, I've eroded a new mouth.

Duellists Trilogy (as Julia Knight) coming soon from Orbit!

http://www.juliaknight.co.uk/

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 12:03:18 PM »
The forum is a good place to lurk, contribute and get recommendations... politics in the articles? Only that Hugo one that I can recall. Most articles are reviews, cover reveals, software, interviews and/or anything else the writers are interested in (and hope the readers will be too!!).

I like the fact that between the articles and forums there is a wide spectrum of interests to pick from.
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Rostum

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 03:39:39 PM »
just lurk....I use tapatalk on my phone for the forums but I really enjoy stopping by to read the articles, and if I knew certain articles were political I would have avoided them, but I just didn't expect it. I assumed the conflict over the awards was something other than politics.  I guess I should have known better.  I'm not here everyday, I just stop in to read the latest articles and enjoy myself.  I suppose I went a little overboard with the whole "the site is ruined" bit, but I just hate the BS that there are only 2 sides, everyone fits into 1 or the other, and the other side (of yours) are all a bunch of evil, terrible, (fill in your sterotype) people.  I guess I have been naively assuming on a subconscious level that on a site like this, where we all have common ground in our love of fantasy, that we could focus on that instead of getting tangled in the weeds of divisive politics.  Obviously I'm back, because I miss my fantasy faction action, so the site isn't really ruined for me.

Well you got everyones attention. I think you are correct there is a lot of common ground, more than most forums. However a forum is a means of arguing a point of view so people will. Lots of Authors have taken issue with hijacking the means by which they are recognized and that is topical and relevent until the whole sorry mess is over until next year.

There is always some drama surrounding the Hugo's, not usually on this scale. Having Jonathan Ross as a compare was shouted down one year due to the imaginations of certain writers as to how he would behave and what he would say. They may have been correct, but we will never know.
Avoid any post mentioning Hugo or puppy at the moment and that will be the majority of it.

Offline Overlord

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 08:47:19 PM »
We play around with ideas from time to time. If you don't try something you don't know whether your readers will enjoy it or not. I quite enjoyed both articles and thought a lot of people would too. They were lighthearted and no one who was innocent was made fun of. In 5 years we've probably published 5 'political' articles out of 2000. It's not something we ask for or commission, but if someone sends one in and we like it and we think our readership will like it too then we'll publish it.

All that said: many awards do piss me. I think an award should be won by the person most deserving of that award and the organisers should be clear about what they are awarding too... I hate that awards in this country and the US have become pats on the back to friends or have attracted 'gangs' to come together to rig them. I especially hate it when they publicise themselves as an award for the very best of Fantasy or Science Fiction, etc. I hate it because when a book cover gets 'winner of the x award' plastered across it and an uneducated reader deciding to dip their toes into one of our genres picks it up thinking 'we', the SFF fans, have chosen it as a top book to represent our genre they aren't really picking up the kinds of books we would be encouraging them to read if we would stood next to them.

Anyway, what can you do.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 08:50:04 PM by Overlord »
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 09:16:39 PM »
I use tapatalk on my phone for the forums

wait, what?!?  there's a mobile-friendly experience for the forums?  please do share!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 12:22:58 AM »

wait, what?!?  there's a mobile-friendly experience for the forums?  please do share!
I think i'ts only for Brits?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 12:35:49 AM »

I think i'ts only for Brits?

nope!  it's pretty sweet.  just download "taptalk".

you have to get rid of the forums it comes installed with, and search for "fantasy faction" to add it manually, tho.  but, once you do that, the ui is fairly nice.  it's a bit irritating that they inject ads.  i'm still waffly on whether or not i'm morally okay with someone making money off ff content.  however, they do add incremental value.  so, there's that.  /shrug

also, i installed it and my friend was like "oh, is that the awful software that every forum i use keeps telling me to install?  bah!  i hate that!"  i personally hadn't run across it yet, but that doesn't really say much.  i haven't used forums in, like, 10 years.  pre simple machines, back when everything was phpbb.

bottom line?  after a few hours with it, i like the interface WAY better than trying to use the forums through a mobile web browser.