July 21, 2019, 11:15:34 PM

Author Topic: This open letter on the main site  (Read 1840 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
This open letter on the main site
« on: March 28, 2019, 08:11:26 AM »
http://fantasy-faction.com/2019/dear-sff-community

If I ever doubted that here on the FF forum we live in our own little nice and friendly bubble, that just goes to prove it. That's the first time I hear about the story, the situation around Ed. Poor Ed.

The world has lovely people, but also some pretty rotten apples :(

I'll continue to live in this bubble, please.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline DrNefario

Re: This open letter on the main site
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 01:21:15 PM »
Yes, I didn't know anything about it until I saw the fallout on Reddit yesterday. Sometimes it's kind of nice not to be very well connected.

I read Blackwing earlier this month, and I'm glad I didn't have my experience coloured by these phony allegations.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 03:31:40 PM »
Yeah it's absolutely awful, and I can't imagine the over-stressed state of his nerves right now.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Skip

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 05:13:05 PM »
This goes to a point that I've discussed quite a bit with friends and family: to what extent do we separate the art from the artist?

At the one extreme, we wind up insisting to know all about the moral character and personal history of every author, director, actor, painter ... and so on. In fact, why stop with artists? It becomes absurd. It gets to the point where you don't trust anyone outside your own little church, and mistrust most within.

At the other extreme, we wind up permitting books filled with hate, images that deliberately lie, and so on.

I'm not even sure there are only two extremes (I shy away from swinging pendulums and all other implications of a truth that lies between; truth is quicksilver). But this case with Ed McDonald shows how vulnerable we all are to a campaign of lies.

It's not unprecedented. People have used radio and newspapers. They've manipulated mass media. Before that, there was the gossip that could ruined lives as painfully delineated by 19thc authors. Because this is a new form, we haven't got it figured yet. Heck, I'm not sure we've got gossip figured.

But this business of condemning the artist because of something in their personal life, or their personal beliefs, and then using the power of social media to ruin them financially, it really does have me going. I carom all over the place, not between various opinions but more like trying to get my arms around the question. I certainly don't have any answers, though I keep trying them on, like clothes in the fitting room.

Meanwhile, the unlucky few have to deal with the question on a practical level. Mr McDonald can count himself lucky, I suppose, in that the allegations have been driven out from the very places they were planted. One hopes the attacker(s) will be identified, lest they come back from another angle.

I do wish the open letter had provided a few specifics. Even something like "search on Reddit" or some such. I really had to work at it to find out even the bare facts. The letter as it stands reads something along the lines of "there's this guy, and this bad thing happened, and it was done by some other guy or guys, and ain't it awful". It brought to mind ScarletBea's observations about how we all live in a bubble. Evidently I don't live in the same bubble as Mr Mathews.

The times we live in.
Visit Altearth

Offline Peat

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 07:26:53 PM »
I believe part of the reason that there's been so few details about what's happening is that people do know who is behind it and they don't wish for anything to happen that would prejudice the coming law suit.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 11:17:26 PM »
Does anyone know what motivated the online attacks?

Offline Skip

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 12:53:15 AM »
I believe part of the reason that there's been so few details about what's happening is that people do know who is behind it and they don't wish for anything to happen that would prejudice the coming law suit.

Yep, I sort of inferred that after doing the research. Still, a sentence would have done the trick. We aren't providing any details because there may be a law suit or other prosecution, but if you want to see more background, look here and here. Something like that. I also recognize that the missive may have been written in a high emotional state, and the finer points of rhetoric wouldn't have seemed all that important. I don't mean to criticize, only to explain my own reaction, wondering if others reacted similarly.
Visit Altearth

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 08:20:16 AM »
From what I gather, there were many horrid allegations from seemingly different 'people'...seperate accounts that had been set up for a year or more with this specific purpose in mind, all with backstories and web footprints and whatnot to make them seem genuine. A lot of work went into this plan to slander him.

And yeah, people know who did it, but Ed is not mentioning it for various legal reasons I imagine.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 08:40:39 AM »
From what I gather, there were many horrid allegations from seemingly different 'people'...seperate accounts that had been set up for a year or more with this specific purpose in mind, all with backstories and web footprints and whatnot to make them seem genuine. A lot of work went into this plan to slander him.

That is a bizarre amount of effort to put into vicious slander.

God, what an ugly matter.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 12:50:22 PM »

Any one of us could be an impostor! *Dun, dun dun!*

It's not me though. Justan Henner is a real name for sure.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 12:57:22 PM »
^ If you remember, I've talked with you on skype once, so I know you're real and not a bot :P ;D

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 01:07:19 PM »
Yeah, you never know. I might not even be a real doctor.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 02:14:41 PM »
^ If you remember, I've talked with you on skype once, so I know you're real and not a bot :P ;D

Hmm, I'm pretty sure @ScarletBea is a bot...

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 02:41:31 PM »

Hmm, I'm pretty sure @ScarletBea is a bot...
The hamburger I ate in your presence denies that. If I was a (ro)bot I would have been sipping a can of oil ;D

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 03:27:03 PM »
That was a fun day :)  Hmm a very advanced infiltration bot I grant you...or maybe that was me...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 04:19:21 PM by CameronJohnston »