December 15, 2019, 03:10:20 PM

Author Topic: The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks  (Read 17023 times)

Offline cherie

Re: The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 09:31:07 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a bit of a love/hate thing going on with the ending. I'm also glad I was on my own reading it, as I was in tears! I always get laughed at when I start crying at books and/or movies... :(
book addict

Offline Overlord

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 10:09:47 AM »
Finally finished the trilogy, man i read slow.

This had be  :'( at the end, seemed to have every box ticked for my liking.

Feel slightly empty now, with no more night angel to read. :(

Hahaha - that was how I felt - I was like... what do I do now? Nothing will live up to this... luckily I found a few that have (Name of the Wind and Painted Man) - but I still state openly that I have never 'cared' about characters as much as I did with those of Night Angel. I really, really loved all the characters and cared so, so much about them... I haven't felt that close to characters since that...

I think maybe this was my problem with his next series (Black Prism). How could a guy who made such love-able characters suddenly make some so unrelated?
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Bunami

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 09:53:46 AM »
Have just purchased this Trilogy on the strength of the recommendations given here. It also looks like ill be spending cash on Steven Brust and Mark Lawrence (will wait for a price drop on Prince of Thorns tho) in the future.

Very clear and precise reviews like those above coupled with the 'Goodreads review averages' make choosing new books to purchase a pleasure instead of a headache.

Thanks!  8)

Edit: Heh, looks like im adding Trudi Canavan's Black Magician Trilogy to the pile also! Big thumbs up from me  ;D (ok better stop reading any more reviews until ive read a few more books lol)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 10:25:08 AM by Bunami »

Offline Overlord

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 09:36:47 AM »
Have just purchased this Trilogy on the strength of the recommendations given here. It also looks like ill be spending cash on Steven Brust and Mark Lawrence (will wait for a price drop on Prince of Thorns tho) in the future.

Very clear and precise reviews like those above coupled with the 'Goodreads review averages' make choosing new books to purchase a pleasure instead of a headache.

Thanks!  8)

Edit: Heh, looks like im adding Trudi Canavan's Black Magician Trilogy to the pile also! Big thumbs up from me  ;D (ok better stop reading any more reviews until ive read a few more books lol)

Painted Man? That is another Fantasy-Faction recommendation, lol - Glad we are adding to your reading list :) I really, really love the Night Angel Trilogy, I think for the casual fantasy-fan (one who hasn't read like EVERYTHING) it is a great series with a mix of just about everything :)

Offline Khaldun

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 12:23:46 AM »
I didn't enjoy the first novel in this series at all. I think I'm becoming grumpy in my old age or something, because there are a lot of books I know I would have loved when I was younger. Maybe I spend too much time and energy looking for flaws in basically everything I watch or read.

Offline Gothos

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 02:41:59 PM »
I remeber that I finished the first book on the plain to China, his trilogy had just came out so I thought it would be a good series to see me through part of my travels. After a hectic day spent on the edge of mongolia I got back to my hostel were the chinese new year was in full sway. I started reading the second book and didn't leave my room for the next day. May have to re-read this trilogy soon.
I saw them on the shores
the deepening pits of their gaze
vowed immortal war
against the sighing calm
of Jaghut seas . . .

Gothos’ Folly
Gothos (b.?)

Offline Overlord

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 03:34:42 PM »
I remeber that I finished the first book on the plain to China, his trilogy had just came out so I thought it would be a good series to see me through part of my travels. After a hectic day spent on the edge of mongolia I got back to my hostel were the chinese new year was in full sway. I started reading the second book and didn't leave my room for the next day. May have to re-read this trilogy soon.

I am planning to re-read it too :D I think it would be a good book to re-read because there is a lot in there that is quite complicated and easily missed during the first read... I may even attack it with a highlighter ;)

Offline Gothos

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 03:43:11 PM »

I am planning to re-read it too :D I think it would be a good book to re-read because there is a lot in there that is quite complicated and easily missed during the first read... I may even attack it with a highlighter ;)

I was thinking of maybe buying the audio books. I sometimes work alone and like to listen to books I've already read. I've read TWoK twice and am currently listening to it on audio. Its a good way to widdle away the hours. Weeks also released another version of his books on audio, one that uses sound effects I can't remember what that audio is called though.
I saw them on the shores
vowed immortal war
against the sighing calm
of Jaghut seas . . .

Gothos’ Folly
Gothos (b.?)

Offline Overlord

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 10:24:16 PM »

I was thinking of maybe buying the audio books. I sometimes work alone and like to listen to books I've already read. I've read TWoK twice and am currently listening to it on audio. Its a good way to widdle away the hours. Weeks also released another version of his books on audio, one that uses sound effects I can't remember what that audio is called though.

They do a Graphic Audio version of Night Angel... have you heard Graphic Audio before? REALLY, REALLY cool! (They add in sound effects and such, it really gets your blood pumping during action scenes!!!)

Offline Gothos

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 10:36:54 PM »

Thats it. I've wondered what the differences would be between the book, the audio and the graphic audio. But i think a book like the night angel trilogies is perfect for it. Would work wonders with the Name of the Wind as well. They would just need an excellent lutist and some kick ass wind sound effects.

They do a Graphic Audio version of Night Angel... have you heard Graphic Audio before? REALLY, REALLY cool! (They add in sound effects and such, it really gets your blood pumping during action scenes!!!)
I saw them on the shores
vowed immortal war
against the sighing calm
of Jaghut seas . . .

Gothos’ Folly
Gothos (b.?)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2014, 08:25:16 AM »
I finished the trilogy last night, and wow!
Amazing 19 days :D
I so so loved it, there's just so much to it, so many layers and stories and details... I wish there was more, I wish many of these details could have been expanded and retold and continued...

It seems I'm catching up on all the 'classic' fantasy that everybody here has read (then again, getting ideas was one of the reasons for joining FF, hehe).
Earlier this year I read the Mistborn trilogy, and really enjoyed it - however after reading Night Angel I see many little things that bugged me about Sanderson's work and that were easily ignored at the time...

I usually don't pay attention to this, but I really enjoyed the way Weeks wrote women. I loved Vi and Momma K, and as we discussed in an older thread (or maybe it was Mark Lawrence's blog post), they are just 'written as people', not different in all the layering from normal male characters. Don't make them different, make them special in their own right :)
However, I just couldn't warm up to Elene: for me she's naive and misguided and selfish (yes, even in the end). (maybe I've just became a cynical person due to some personal events, but her version of love does not exist)

Should I now read the Lightbringer trilogy? I haven't exactly heard many good things about it :-\
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 08:29:22 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Jamie Maltman

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2014, 08:40:40 PM »
I love book 1 up until the final post-climactic bit, had a bit of a love-hate relationship with book 2 (based on the character relationship sub-plotand ramp up to the story getting really started), then really enjoyed the rest of book 2 onward.

The pace of the build-up to the climax of book 1 was fantastic.

I'd agree with you there, ScarletBea, in that Momma K and Vi were written very well, but Elene was uneven, and Kyler was sometimes very annoying in his relationship life. I'll leave it at that.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2014, 09:44:51 PM »
Kyler was sometimes very annoying in his relationship life. I'll leave it at that.

Did it make you want to slap him? I mentioned that last week on my 'miscellaneous' thread, while reading the first part of book 2, hehe
Why oh why is his short book about Durzo only available as e-book? >:(
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 12:08:01 AM »
Kyler was sometimes very annoying in his relationship life. I'll leave it at that.

Did it make you want to slap him? I mentioned that last week on my 'miscellaneous' thread, while reading the first part of book 2, hehe
Why oh why is his short book about Durzo only available as e-book? >:(

I decided the books were best if the relationship part/woes were ignored (just pretend it never happened).
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Ben

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 03:36:43 PM »
I enjoyed the series. I found that the third book went a little off the rails but was still entertaining. I found the treatment of Durzo to be fascinating.