December 08, 2019, 11:02:46 AM

Author Topic: The Liar's key (No Spoilers)  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Rostum

The Liar's key (No Spoilers)
« on: June 28, 2015, 04:03:54 PM »
I am sad, glum and disinclined to pick up anything else to read having finished the book this morning. I have been here before. A book I have been looking forward to arrives, is read and carries the story backwards and leaves me on tenterhooks. Ah yes it's the middle of the trilogy blues and now I wait a year to find out what happens next. So unsurprisingly it works and left me wanting more.
The book is not perfect there are a couple of changes of direction that grate ever so briefly, but that feeling passes in a page or so.
Due to my muddling the order of Marks books Emperor of Thorns is the last book I read in the Shattered Empire series and the writing is concise and flowing in much the same way as the story is told in that book. The scene is set, the story told and no words are wasted.
The story itself fills in gaps and we learn more about Jalan childhood, and the influences that shaped him, his father, grandmother and great aunt and uncle. It is interesting stuff but not the story I was expecting, which I guess is what a good author does.
I am guessing this is in a lot of peoples TBR piles or has been read by now I doubt you will be disappointed but it may not be what you are expecting.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: The Liar's key (No Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 04:08:26 PM »
I'm on page 400 - loving it, but as I said after Prince of Fools, Jalan is not Jorg.
Still, I'm quite enjoying Jalan's personality evolution :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 11:16:50 AM »
My hardback arrived a few days ago and I've been slowly getting into it. I can't understand why I'm always in awe of Mark Lawrence's writing, since I've acknowledged that fact when I read the first few pages of Prince of Thorns, but it still seems to be refreshingly brilliant everytime.

As of now (I'm only on chapter seven) I'm finding Jalan even funnier than in the previous book.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 01:06:43 PM »
I finished this last evening, but since yesterday (and a bit today) was a very difficult day for me, I'm not able to actually describe how much I love this book :D

I know I keep saying I love Jorg more than Jalan, but in this book Jalan grew on me. He became... more human - or rather, the type of person that I wouldn't mind hanging around with, while in Prince of Fools he was the person to keep at arm's length, hehe

I loved all the 'old stories', I could read a whole book just with Garyus and Alica and the Silent Sister's stories, even without Jalan and Snorri...

The second part of my sig comes from this book, and it's not a spoiler because Jalan says it quite early on. I just love it, due to Mark's history and his old blurb ;D

And a little spoiler/spoiler question:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Love how they use mobiles as devices to talk to God ;D and what is the second object that marks the religious ranking: was it a grenade? I'm kinda wondering...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:25:21 PM by ScarletBea »

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Rostum

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 08:23:47 PM »
Jalan gets filled out and becomes a 3 dimensional person and it puts him into his story in a way that is needed.
I just want more...I would love some stories about the siblings. Alicia is interesting. In the first book the blurb tells us she is feared and formidable, now we know why.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yes, without a doubt. What a great test of faith :D

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 01:15:06 PM »
Finished The Liar's Key, after a massive drop in my reading speed for the past month, and I absolutely loved it. So much so, that I even made an effort to write a proper review on Goodreads (I usually just rate the books - the review is here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1207039694 ).

Can't emphasize enough how thrilled I was for the world building presented in this book. Maybe because we got to see many different locations, but the world really felt much more interesting now.

Obviously, now begins the awful wait for the next one  8)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Rostum

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 02:19:28 PM »
Obviously, now begins the awful wait for the next one

+1

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 02:22:53 PM »
Obviously, now begins the awful wait for the next one

+1
+2