January 28, 2020, 02:32:21 PM

Author Topic: The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins  (Read 9905 times)

Offline GSarnak

The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins
« on: December 22, 2010, 01:26:08 AM »
Have any of you read The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins? They were my favorite books of the year by far!  :)

These books totally surprised me in their depth. There is nothing "teen" about this series of books from subject matter, to characters, to writing. The characters are powerful, moving, and memorable. I read the entire series in a matter of days. I haven't sped through books this fast in years. Collins is a master story teller with a real knack for creating characters that linger with you long after you have finished. Not to be missed!

Real or not real: this is the best book of 2010 by far? REAL.

Offline Overlord

Re: The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 10:52:15 AM »
Have any of you read The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins? They were my favorite books of the year by far!  :)

These books totally surprised me in their depth. There is nothing "teen" about this series of books from subject matter, to characters, to writing. The characters are powerful, moving, and memorable. I read the entire series in a matter of days. I haven't sped through books this fast in years. Collins is a master story teller with a real knack for creating characters that linger with you long after you have finished. Not to be missed!

Real or not real: this is the best book of 2010 by far? REAL.

Sounds very interesting, I'd never heard of them before today!!!!

What kind of book are they? Is it magic based?
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline AlexEatsBooks

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 11:48:42 AM »
Oh my, you've not heard of them? Please, do yourself a favour. They're not fantasy as much as they are dystopia - Think Battle Royale and Big Brother with a whole lot of political corruption and deception. Certainly one of the best series I've ever read!
Even if it's remembered, a dream is just a dream.
Book Blog: http://www.alexeatsbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Overlord

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 12:12:54 PM »
I love Battle Royale... not so much Big Brother - lol - but I get what you mean :) I will go and google them now ;)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline annmarie ager

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 10:56:28 AM »
i loved this series. i thought i was one of the best. there is not magic in it but this whole world with different parts that have there own job the capital are the head that run it all and they take two children for each district and put them in the hunger games and watch the kids kill one and other. there is also a lot more going on but you well have to read the books  ;D

Offline Itachimaru

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 02:11:07 PM »
If the main character was a man, I'm guessing this would be a lot more known. Still liked the books but a bit to basic, easy going for me.
I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

Muhammad Ali

Offline Tiffany Kysis Tackett

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 08:34:42 PM »
I read the first book for my YA Lit class and definitely plan on reading the rest of them, as soon as I power through the rest of my winter break reading list.

It was a very easy read for me, definitely a cross-over between young adult and adult reading levels, though the topics and content are more on the adult side.  I'd consider it a future fantasy with definite dystopian qualities.

I definitely recommend it for anyone who likes dystopian societies in their books, or books that they can philosophize about.

Offline Captain-Dr-Proffesor

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 05:54:29 AM »
I tried to read this series but I couldn't get into it. Is it worth it to try and read again?

Offline michaelramm

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 02:50:08 PM »
I thought that the series started of really good and then each book went a little downhill after that. I did not like Mockingjay at all really. It was all that I could do to finish it.
Currently Reading: The Great Hunt [WoT #2]
Favorite Authors: Tolkien, Sanderson, Kemp, Salvatore, Sullivan, Hearne
goodreads: michaelramm

Offline Ken

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 09:26:04 AM »
I thought that the series started of really good and then each book went a little downhill after that. I did not like Mockingjay at all really. It was all that I could do to finish it.

I know what you mean. I have yet to read the third book but at first it reminds me of Battle Royale with the kids killing each other then it began to shift towards a complicated love triangle with an oppressive government.

This is the 2nd YA book with a female protagonist that I've read, and I noticed that the girls always have some men who would do anything for them. Is it a common theme for the main female character to struggle with more than one lover?

Offline Khaldun

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 02:11:39 AM »
I read the first book and the Hunger Games and I enjoyed it. It was a solid read, but definitely not my favourite book of the year. I didn't read the sequels because I wasn't blown away by the first book, but it was a fun read nonetheless.

Offline Shamrock

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 04:19:13 PM »
I loved The Hunger Games, although Catching Fire was my favourite. Mockingjay was alright, but what I admire is that Suzanne Collins did not take the easy way out of the story. I thought the ending was quite good considering the themes in the series.
Books are the blessed chloroform of the mind

Offline Lyz

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 09:43:56 PM »
I just started reading The Hunger Games this morning. It's quite good; I'm wondering if I'll have enough willpower to put it down before I have to go pick up Dragon Age 2 tonight...
Elizabeth Mace Giosia. Call me Lyz. 29. Leo. Fantasy Faction Staff Member, Reviews. Owner of Giosia Photography and Stoneheart Cosplay

Need a review for your novel? Email me at emgiosia@gmail.com!

Offline Minesril

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 07:59:26 PM »

Offline AlexEatsBooks

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 11:03:59 PM »
So...what do people think?

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=30447

Meh, I have low opinions of movies from books... And this seems to be no exception. I really wish they didn't.... *holds in huge ranting and complaining* and breath.....
:D
Even if it's remembered, a dream is just a dream.
Book Blog: http://www.alexeatsbooks.blogspot.com