May 19, 2019, 05:50:50 PM

Author Topic: The Great Ordeal by R. Scott Bakker  (Read 7547 times)

Offline Madness

The Great Ordeal by R. Scott Bakker
« on: May 26, 2016, 02:33:27 PM »
Hello Fine Peoples of Fantasy Faction!

I noticed there to be no recent thread regarding Bakker's The Second Apocalypse and his forthcoming release of the third volume in the second series, The Great Ordeal, so here I am to inform any and all interested parties.

So far recently, there have been two reviews of TGO ARCs - one by bakkerfans, the fan media accounts - spoiler-free, excepting a "where we left them" regarding the conclusion of 2011's The White-Luck Warrior - and one by Pat's Fantasy Hotlist - minor spoilers regarding character/POV. Two reviews are forthcoming via The Wertzone and Grimdark Magazine.

There's been a book trailer produced for the series by the author's brother and SpiralHorizon.

As well there are two excerpts from The Great Ordeal: the prologue and first chapter entire, released by Grimdark Magazine who also have a forthcoming giveaway, and an unidentified chapter, released by Pat's Fantasy Hotlist who also has a forthcoming interview. Both of which certainly contain spoilers for the preceding five volumes in The Second Apocalypse.

Otherwise, Grim Tidings Podcast has recently announced they will host Bakker in late June, who joins a stellar list of interviewees so far, Erikson and Abercrombie being especially worth listening to. There are also rumours of a reddit AMA.

It'd be real cool if Fantasy Faction did an interview or something actually but I honestly don't know how many Bakker readers are part of the community here.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 02:36:24 PM by Madness »

Offline Madness

Re: The Great Ordeal by R. Scott Bakker
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 01:01:30 AM »

Offline Madness

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 06:56:34 PM »
Bakkerfans is running a The Great Ordeal ARC Giveaway at Second Apocalypse forum. Two ARCs to giveaway, contest ends June 13th at 12pm EST.

Offline Madness

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 12:19:12 AM »
New R. Scott Bakker Interview from Pat's Fantasy Hotlist - some out of context spoilers for the books.

Offline Madness

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 05:59:31 PM »
Another chance to win an ARC through Grimdark Magazine - respond in the comments naming your favorite character to enter, draw ends on June 14th!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 09:41:33 PM »
We read The Darkness That Comes Before with the book club a few years back and the book didn't find much love here (I finished it but gave it one star on goodreads).

I'm sorry but this may be a depressing place for a super fan like you...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 09:57:22 PM »
There's more people joined since then, I'm sure there's fans of Bakker here now.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 10:20:06 PM »
There's more people joined since then, I'm sure there's fans of Bakker here now.
Well, they certainly kept quiet about it and didn't reply in this topic...

Offline Madness

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 03:22:18 PM »
We read The Darkness That Comes Before with the book club a few years back and the book didn't find much love here (I finished it but gave it one star on goodreads).

I'm sorry but this may be a depressing place for a super fan like you...

No problem, xiagan. Thanks for the words :). I'm sorry you didn't enjoy TDTCB - do you mind linking me your goodreads review?

Also, I hope I'm not breaking forum rules by posting here - I figure if my experience elsewhere generalizes, there are often many people reading these posts, even if they don't respond.

And I've lurked on Fantasy-Faction myself for a couple years now. I've enjoyed many of the articles posted on the main page as well as the community interactions here on the forum. I should really make time to post more :).

Lol - I'm always surprised how few fans he has anywhere, Eclipse :).

Well, they certainly kept quiet about it and didn't reply in this topic...

Indeed, once again, hope I'm not contravening any forum rules.

Also, came by to post another review of The Great Ordeal, this time by Bakker's long-time writing compatriot, Roger Eichorn (who has some of his own samples on his blog there) - similar minor spoilers as Pat's review, regarding character/POV

Cheers all.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 03:27:45 PM by Madness »

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 12:43:29 PM »
Hi, @Madness. I'm not a moderator, but scanning this thread, I don;t see anything would violate Forum rules or our basic approach to things. You're a fan of something, and passionate about it. You're not spamming; you're polite. Cheers! That's what we like.

Hope you post more, too. Glad to have you around.  :)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Madness

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 03:57:14 PM »
Thanks very much, @Jmack. I will resolve to spend more time here.

Grimdark Magazine reviews The Great Ordeal - minor spoilers regarding plot arcs and character

Offline Madness

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 03:38:55 PM »
R. Scott Bakker announces a Second Apocalypse forum Author Q&A!

Also, The Wertzone has been releasing a stellar series of consolidated essays detailing the world of The Second Apocalypse:

- Part 1: Fall of the Ark
- Part 2: Age of Man
- Part 3: The Apocalypse

Must read for world-junkies and Bakker fans, new and old alike.

Offline Madness

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 04:12:36 PM »
Book is out in US! Canada on the 26th and Orbit UK paperback incoming Sep 29th! (Though many international readers have already purchased the Overlook hardcover from ebay and amazon.com)

The Great Ordeal

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 05:30:37 PM »
I am one of the above-mentioned new members to the forum who is a big Bakker fan.  I am currently approaching the end of my own first draft, so I have not read the new book yet, but I plan to as soon as I can.

Haven't been here long, but I am not surprised Bakker's work is less popular here, there's a distinct culture and set of tastes across the membership that make his work an improbable item for their shelves. If you've read Stephen King's "On Writing", his "dozing to Byzantium" comment applies.

For my part, I was more than taken by the series and found his style to be ideal for me. I liked the naked brutality and honesty, and his refreshing take on archetypes.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 07:07:25 PM »
Haven't been here long, but I am not surprised Bakker's work is less popular here, there's a distinct culture and set of tastes across the membership that make his work an improbable item for their shelves. If you've read Stephen King's "On Writing", his "dozing to Byzantium" comment applies.
Just wondering if that is meant as a veiled insult?

My problem with Bakker was (in short) that:
a) I'm not a fan of "naked brutality"
b) the start was slow and obscure (this got better)
c) some of the names were unpronounceable and ridiculous (Anasûrimbor Moënghus, Skiöitha, Coithus Athjeäri, Cnaiür, Skeaös, ...) which makes it especially hard to follow the complicate and intricate build-up and to understand all about the lands, factions, schools and people
d) every woman you meet is a whore or becomes a whore. 

Especially c)... this is the stereotype cliché from people who don't like fantasy come true...