September 17, 2019, 02:04:01 PM

Author Topic: Terry Goodkind  (Read 10136 times)

Offline Tegh

Re: Terry Goodkind
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 09:12:42 AM »
VJ Books has a pretty big selection of signed Terry Goodkind first editions, if anyone is collecting him.

http://www.vjbooks.com/Terry-Goodkind-s/98.htm

From what the general response here is...I doubt anyone would want to collect his "work."

And, I can't believe that he is making another one...that's just soooo sad, not to mention maddening!  What dead horse is there left for him to beat?
If any are interested in a small sample of my writing...

http://www.fictionpress.com/u/694214/Tegh

Cheerwell

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 02:55:40 PM »
You know, I've come to realise Goodkind isn't all bad.

Without Goodkind, there'd be no Sword of Truth.
Without Sword of Truth, there'd be no Legend of the Seeker.
Without Legend of the Seeker, there'd be no kinda cute girls cosplaying as a Mord-Sith (SFW).

See? Even bad things can lead to good.

Offline Lyz

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 03:22:46 PM »
You know, I've come to realise Goodkind isn't all bad.

Without Goodkind, there'd be no Sword of Truth.
Without Sword of Truth, there'd be no Legend of the Seeker.
Without Legend of the Seeker, there'd be no kinda cute girls cosplaying as a Mord-Sith (SFW).

See? Even bad things can lead to good.

Huh... I saw one of those at the anime convention I went to in April.
Elizabeth Mace Giosia. Call me Lyz. 29. Leo. Fantasy Faction Staff Member, Reviews. Owner of Giosia Photography and Stoneheart Cosplay

Need a review for your novel? Email me at emgiosia@gmail.com!

Cheerwell

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 06:33:31 PM »
Very lovely!

Offline missoularedhead

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 11:54:25 AM »
yeah, but 13, now 14 books worth it?  ;D
"Well behaved women rarely make history" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Cheerwell

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 03:52:12 PM »
yeah, but 13, now 14 books worth it?  ;D
If you watched Legend of the Seeker, you'd see that Bridget Regan (I think, she played Kahlan) and the ladies who played the Mord-Sith (Especially the one who played Cara/Cala/I forgot her name) in their tight, red leather are worth a lifetime of Goodkind books.

I thought Bridget should have been chosen for Wonder Woman. What she lacks in the rack, she makes up for in Lynda Carter-esque... Everything else.

Offline Drying Ink

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 08:14:43 PM »
...I read through every volume of this series. I can now feel justified in my decision to never, ever read Goodkind again. Other than that, agreement with everything said so far (I'm a sheep). :P

Offline missoularedhead

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 08:17:13 PM »
I, too, read everything. Largely for the same reason I read Atlas Shrugged. I'm armed and ready, people. Bring it.

Cheerwell

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
I actually have a copy of Atlas Shrugged sat around somewhere...

Offline missoularedhead

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 07:09:57 AM »
Yeah, I need to return it to the library...

Offline Abi29

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2011, 03:32:10 PM »
I thought the first book was horrible but I actually enjoyed the rest of the series... although I did feel my brain going numb towards the end. I definitely agree with what a lot of people have been saying- he places his 'message' above the story which is really frustrating because if he hadn't he might of have had a better series like Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.

Offline chongjasmine

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 12:03:02 PM »
Except for two of the books in the sword of truth series, which I truly dislike. I mildly enjoy the rest of the series. 3 stars ratings from me for most of his books, and actual 4 stars ratings for Stone of Tears, Faith of the Fallen and Debt of Bones.
I rarely give 5 stars for my reviews, not even with Martin. And not with Robert Jordan's wheel of time, which is my favorite fantasy series.

Offline Darthair

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 09:21:51 AM »
I've read all of The Sword of Truth series and, like some others, I liked the first couple of books and then felt the rest got steadily worse. By the end there was nothing really enjoyable about the experience, just near-mindless slogging through the pages, trying to find the thread of the story under the mass of propaganda, just to see how it would end (weakly, by the way).

A group of gaming enthusiasts here in Reykjavík got a gaming club (we have board games, RPGs, TCGs and miniature wargames) started here about a year ago. We have a large collection of board games and sourcebooks for various RPG systems that members keep at the club, available for everyone to use, or have outright donated them. We talked about starting up a similar library for SF/F books, wondering what people might be willing to donate. We soon found out we would probably end up with a few shelves filled with multiple copies of The Sword of Truth series, and not much else...

Offline SteveThomas

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 02:50:59 AM »
I like the first four or so, before Goodkind went off the deep end with Objectivism.  After that, I just couldn't stand the chapter-long filibusterers followed by "Oh wow, Richard, I never thought of it that way.  You're so smart and awesome and very handsome.  Please allow me to swear my undying loyalty."  Then on to the next character who hadn't received a speech from Richard.

I read the first 10 even though I'm pretty sure I stopped liking them a lot longer before that.  After that, I decided to just let Wikipedia tell me how the series ended.

Offline DRMarvello

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 04:25:03 PM »
I'm glad I never ran afoul of all the negative reviews and political argument regarding the Sword of Truth series. I guess I'm unusual in that I make buying decisions based on the book's blurb and excerpt. Reviews are too unreliable.

I accidentally ended up liking the Sword of Truth series, and I'm so glad I didn't let other people influence my decision to read it. Sure, some books were better than others, but I've never read a series where that wasn't true. I particularly liked the first three books, and even enjoyed the Legend of the Seeker TV series. Granted, Tabrett Bethell (Cara), Jessica Marais (Denna), and Bridget Regan (Kahlan) probably had something to do with that (serious eye candy).

As for comparisons to the Wheel of Time series, I think people are stretching the similarities to fit their own agenda. I personally got thoroughly sick of WoT by the tenth book and never did finish that series. I won't say SoT was better, but I did enjoy it more.
Daniel R. Marvello
Blog: The Vaetra Files
Books: The Vaetra Chronicles