June 05, 2020, 10:15:41 PM

Author Topic: Switched - Amanda Hocking  (Read 2888 times)

Offline Shamrock

Switched - Amanda Hocking
« on: March 28, 2011, 10:38:31 AM »
Okay so about a week ago while having dinner with a friend she recommended that I read Switched by Amanda Hocking. Luckily I had my kindle with me so I hopped onto the Amazon store, read the blurb which did not seem too bad and since the book was only $0,99 I thought I would give it a try.

So the first thing I noted about the book is that the editing is really bad and well although the story has a great premise the bad use of language is what really got to me. The book is self-published which I don't see as an excuse for bad editing, there are many freelance editors willing to edit self-published works all over the world. But anyway...

The story isn't too bad if you can get past some of the language so if you're looking for someone a bit different to read and want something completely brainless well, this should do fine. I'm contemplating buying the second book as I don't have enough money to buy the two books I want to read next month.

Has anyone else read this book? If so what did you think?
Books are the blessed chloroform of the mind

Offline professional-liar

Re: Switched - Amanda Hocking
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 07:50:13 PM »
I haven't read any Amanda Hocking, but I hear she just got a huge actual book deal.

In spite of any poor editing skills, I'm thrilled that the young lady is making a ton of money by totally avoiding the traditional publishing biz. 

The reduction in quality may not be as inevitable as people think.  I think as more indie-writers and freelance editors join forces things will work themselves out.
Check out my webcomic-The Venom King www.venomkingcomic.com

Offline Shamrock

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 08:06:28 PM »
As I say I enjoyed the story I was just disappointed by the editing. I'm glad she got a book deal her work deserves it and it's a great story it just needed some editing.

Offline professional-liar

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 12:19:45 AM »
I'm just curious.  What type of editing?  Grammar or something else?
Check out my webcomic-The Venom King www.venomkingcomic.com

Offline Shamrock

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 07:38:47 AM »
Spelling but just general editing such as using "kinda" instead of "kind of". She used a lot of the same vocabulary over and over. Towards the end it was better written.