August 08, 2020, 09:55:03 AM

Author Topic: Steven Erikson  (Read 21809 times)

Offline Lionwalker

• Writer of Twilight Fan Fiction
  • Auror
  • Schmoking Cultist
    • View Profile
Re: Steven Erikson
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2012, 03:20:15 PM »
When is the release date of Forge of Darkness?

31st of this month. Can't wait for this book. Even though i wont be able to read it until i finish stonewielder, dust of dreams, the crippled god and orb, sceptre, thone. I'm still looking forward to the release. I love that erikson is still writing in the malazan universe.

Great news! I just hope the release date is the same here in SA...
Get moving on those TBRs! :)
Follow me on Twitter: @_Lionwalker

Offline J. Mark Miller

« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2012, 07:47:18 PM »
I'm three chapters into Forge of Darkness, and I'm pretty sure my mind's been blown at least once per chapter.

Questions are answered about so many characters, Draconus, Anomander Rake, Sandalath Drukolat, Osserc, etc...but now I've got hundreds of new questions!

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
  • Can't think of anything clever for this...
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2012, 10:06:24 AM »
... And now I know who the Malazan fans are... -marks down their names on his list-

In the foreword or preface of Gardens of the Moon, Erikson mentioned he and ICE wrote Malazan for a TV script. Wonder if they'll reconsider it now that it's a bestseller and all. xD

They've been looking for the new Game of Thrones, after all. ;D
Oh, I have a blog. http://dullboredom.wordpress.com/

Check it out, if you've got the time. Much appreciated.

Writer. Read my free, serialized story Radio Silence and vote to keep it free and serialized!

Offline Lionwalker

• Writer of Twilight Fan Fiction
  • Auror
  • Schmoking Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2012, 12:42:58 PM »
I'm three chapters into Forge of Darkness, and I'm pretty sure my mind's been blown at least once per chapter.

Questions are answered about so many characters, Draconus, Anomander Rake, Sandalath Drukolat, Osserc, etc...but now I've got hundreds of new questions!

I still haven't gotten my copy! Haven't been able to justify the expense just yet, what with the big move...this week once I got a job though, this shall be my first buy! Awesome that you find out more about all these characters.
Follow me on Twitter: @_Lionwalker

Offline Toc the Youngest

« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2012, 01:03:49 PM »
... And now I know who the Malazan fans are... -marks down their names on his list-

In the foreword or preface of Gardens of the Moon, Erikson mentioned he and ICE wrote Malazan for a TV script. Wonder if they'll reconsider it now that it's a bestseller and all. xD

I heard some years ago they were making a Deadhouse Gate movie...sadly I don't think we'll ever see it.  I would love to see the whole series done in animation.  It would be sweet!
"Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living." - Duiker

Offline Gothos

« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2012, 07:50:33 PM »

I heard some years ago they were making a Deadhouse Gate movie...sadly I don't think we'll ever see it.  I would love to see the whole series done in animation.  It would be sweet!

Totally agree. Its the only way they could do it.
I saw them on the shores
the deepening pits of their gaze
vowed immortal war
against the sighing calm
of Jaghut seas . . .

Gothos’ Folly
Gothos (b.?)

Offline DDRRead

« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2013, 02:09:31 PM »
I'm about 29% through Toll of the Hounds (so no spoilers please) and I'm finding it perplexingly dull. I've loved each of the previous novels, and with each consecutive novel I've gotten more and more into the Malazan setting. But the opening to Toll of the Hounds feel really turgid, there's not much story or conflict going on, and there seems to be a lot omniscient 'ahh, gentle reader, but would the god ever suspect . . .' type foolishness that wasn't in previous novels.

I'm sure it''ll pick up, and there's no question of me not finishing it, but I found the difference jarring, just wondered if anyone else felt the same about the beginning when they got to 'Toll' or if it's just me?

Offline DDRRead

« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2013, 04:08:23 PM »
Just me then.  ;D

Offline Gothos

« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2013, 11:22:20 PM »
I can't rememeber how I felt about TtH at this point. All I know is TtH was my favourite Malazan book next to Memories of Ice and Midnight Tides. I felt it all came together at the end and worked quite well.
I saw them on the shores
vowed immortal war
against the sighing calm
of Jaghut seas . . .

Gothos’ Folly
Gothos (b.?)

Offline DDRRead

« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2013, 01:31:46 PM »
I can't rememeber how I felt about TtH at this point. All I know is TtH was my favourite Malazan book next to Memories of Ice and Midnight Tides. I felt it all came together at the end and worked quite well.

Right, so it is just me then.  ;D

Memories of Ice and Midnight Tides are two of my favourites, but I'm finding TtH very meh. I'm about 70% in now. It has picked up the pace, but it's my least favourite in the series so far. I'm not enjoying the omniscient/Kruppe? voice (in the past I really liked Kruppe). There are only a couple of story strands I'm finding  interesting and some of my favourite characters from previous novels seem to be involved in very so-so storylines.

Offline Jon Sprunk

« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2013, 12:02:04 AM »
Erikson is one of my new favorite authors. I just finished House of Chains. Loved it thoroughly.

Offline Gothos

« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2013, 03:22:24 PM »
Erikson is one of my new favorite authors. I just finished House of Chains. Loved it thoroughly.

HoC is a cool book and it only gets better from there. Midnight tides is easily one of my favourites in the series but its the Bonehunters that steal's the show.

Out of interest, what was your favourite part in HoC?
I saw them on the shores
vowed immortal war
against the sighing calm
of Jaghut seas . . .

Gothos’ Folly
Gothos (b.?)

Offline Jon Sprunk

« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2013, 11:12:08 PM »
Hmmm, hard to pick a favorite part. The Malazans crossing the desert was wonderful and evocative.

As for characters, I can't believe how much I liked Karsa Orlong. By the end, I was seriously rooting for him. I wanted to see more of Kalam, too.

Offline Gothos

« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2013, 04:24:48 PM »

As for characters, I can't believe how much I liked Karsa Orlong. By the end, I was seriously rooting for him.

He's definitely one of Erikson's most well written characters. I can't wait for the day that Erikson gets round to writing the Toblakai Trilogy. It will be epic in so many ways.
I saw them on the shores
vowed immortal war
against the sighing calm
of Jaghut seas . . .

Gothos’ Folly
Gothos (b.?)