July 14, 2020, 07:34:48 PM

Author Topic: Software for Readers and Writers...  (Read 4608 times)

Offline Overlord

Software for Readers and Writers...
« on: April 02, 2015, 12:22:12 PM »
We've had a really cool series on the site these last few months 'Software for writers'.

So far we've had covered:

Scrivener, Aeon Timeline, Scapple, Calibre, Evernote, Sonar 3 and even DropBox.

I was wondering what software you guys use as readers (e-reading software, book database software) and writers (word processor, planning out a story, etc)? Have you used any of the above? What are your experiences of them?

Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Software for Readers and Writers...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 12:39:19 PM »
I was wondering what software you guys use as readers (e-reading software, book database software)

I use something that is very portable and feels very good in your hands. It looks great on shelves, can be personalised when you meet the author, and supports artists too. It's been around for a while, so you've probably heard about it.

It's called a PAPER BOOK ;D

(sorry, I just couldn't resist!!)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Davis Ashura

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 01:18:19 PM »
For reading, I have a preference for hardbacks followed by trade paperbacks. I just like the size. I don't like mass market paperbacks. They're small and don't look nearly as cool on the book shelf. In those cases where a book is only available as a mass market, I buy it on Kindle.

For writing, I used to use Word. It's the program I used for the first 8 books I wrote. And it worked, but it's not very easy to format into epub or Mobi. It also isn't as writer friendly, but I didn't know that at the time. I was (am) still learning the craft and didn't realize what I needed until I came across Scrivener. That's a much better program for writing fiction. I'm finishing off a trilogy that I started in Word, and all my notes and background stuff are in a binder, but I'm really curious how Scrivener will work when I shift to my next series for organization of the world-building.

I've also used Celtx for the one screenplay I wrote. I liked the program, and it was easy to use, but I don't enjoy screenwriting.
The crucible of tragedy teaches us the truth of our dharma: we sacrifice all so others need not. It is a weighty burden.

The Sorrows of Hume

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 01:26:47 PM »
We use yWriter for writing (though only for the last stage, Google Spreadsheets & Writer for all the planning and stuff), and plan to use Sonar3 for submission tracking. We also use Zim to create a local wiki so we can keep track of worldbuilding stuff.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 02:12:40 PM »
I was wondering what software you guys use as readers (e-reading software, book database software)

I use something that is very portable and feels very good in your hands...and supports artists too.

It's called a NOOK/KINDLE ;D

Sorry I couldn't resist either.  I used to be dead against e-readers but since I started traveling a lot for my job plus the convenience of using Overdrive (well kinda, my library's selection is awful but my mom belongs to a good system that I use) made me a convert.  I still love to have an actual physical book and my wife has promised me I can setup a little library when we move into a new house (hopefully) this year (I don't think she knows what she is giving me license to do), but for the pure convenience of it e-readers are the way to go for me.

BeardKing

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 02:13:45 PM »
I use Aldiko Book Reader on Android for ebooks.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 02:18:28 PM »
I use Aldiko Book Reader on Android for ebooks.
I used to use that but had some problems with it (can't remember what though since it was a while ago), now I use Moon+ Reader which I find a lot better. Think it has a lot more features available, even with the free version.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline wakarimasen

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Builder
  • Currently suffering multiple story disorder...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 02:18:47 PM »
Out of interest - has anyone ever used any speech recognition stuff to try and write. Such as the appropriately named (for fantasy) Dragon?  (http://www.nuance.co.uk/dragon/index.htm)

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 02:25:00 PM »
Out of interest - has anyone ever used any speech recognition stuff to try and write. Such as the appropriately named (for fantasy) Dragon?  (http://www.nuance.co.uk/dragon/index.htm)

How would that handle fantastic spelling? Try teaching it elvish :p

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 02:27:04 PM »
I use Google Sheets to track various things, like which books I own and haven't read (this one's over 1200 rows, quite a lot of it is free junk, but it's still pretty bad), my ebook purchases, various reading challenges and lists, and what I've read. I wish I had a better book database, to be honest - one that I could filter and sort more easily - but the one I used to maintain many years ago I lost when some hardware died, and I appreciate the cloud storage. I also use Calibre to manage my non-Kindle ebooks.

For my attempts at writing (which mainly consist of Nanowrimo once a year) I have used Google Docs and attempted to use Scrivener.

The Google stuff tends to be kind of limited, but has the massive advantage of being available pretty much everywhere I am.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 03:00:01 PM »
I'm a bit all over the place.

Reading: Kindle app on iPad, and physical books.

Writing:
Have been trying to use Scrivener, but keep swapping around between Pages and Word as well, because I tend to use whatever device is handy: PC, Mac, iPad. This goes to my inability to centralize on one cloud - though Apple is winning because I'm so deep in the walled garden with them.

I do use Excel exclusively when trying to develop things that just lend themselves well to tables, timelines, etc.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Rostum

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 03:18:23 PM »
Not sure whether it would be of any use at all for writing or creating fiction but One Note is my favourite tool at the moment for compiling information from multiple sources and setting it into a sensible format to create a technical document from  it can read text in an image file which can be useful if you only have the original data as say a jpg. My father who does write books (on athletics statistics) is at his wits end with word which seems to have lost any usefulness for tracking changes and merging versions.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 03:18:26 PM »
I use Scrivener for writing and used to use yWriter before that. I like yWriter more - more intuitive and fit me overall better - but it's not running very good on Linux and so I swapped to Scrivener, which is free for Linux.

I read on my Samsung Tablet with the Kindle and the Nook apps.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 03:24:58 PM »
Writing in Word. Worldbuilding with google sites to make a wiki. That way I share it with whomever I want, from this point on they will be referred to as "fangirls".

Reading usually in a pdf format or with good old paper.
I don't have an ereader. My phone is good enough.

BeardKing

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 03:38:01 PM »
I used to use that but had some problems with it (can't remember what though since it was a while ago), now I use Moon+ Reader which I find a lot better. Think it has a lot more features available, even with the free version.

Most excellent! Bought the pro version. Lots more features than Aldiko. Thanks! :)