August 25, 2019, 11:35:55 PM

Author Topic: Six-Figure Deal for Fantasy Novelist John Gwynne  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Kazreemo

• Acolyte of Aktu, God of Goats
  • Soulfinder
  • Hate will keep you alive where love fails #Jorgism
    • View Profile
Six-Figure Deal for Fantasy Novelist John Gwynne
« on: May 13, 2015, 01:02:04 PM »
Massive congratulations to John Gwynne for landing this big fish! I'm such a huge fan of this guy and am really pleased that the end of his current series The Faithful and the Fallen will not be the last we see of him!

I regard him as on of the best modern fantasy authors, up there with Mark Lawrence, P.V Brett and Joe Abercrombie.

This is copied from the link that will follow. A bit about his new series.

This new standalone trilogy will be set in the same stirring Celtic-inspired world as John’s first quartet, the Faithful and the Fallen. Here, the Banished Lands now seem at peace. However, guardians appointed to enforce it have their own agenda, and mankind will suffer. One central character, Rae, is part-guardian and part-human. And if she can prevail through conflict, crisis and adventure, she may hold the key to humanity’s ultimate freedom.

The full announcement can be found at http://www.johnjarrold.co.uk/news/1185/six-figure-deal-for-fantasy-novelist-john-gwynne/

Congrats John!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 01:30:15 PM by Kazreemo »
I'm the best at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice

Offline Overlord

Re: Six-Figure Deal for Fantasy Novelist John Gwynne
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 02:14:07 PM »
I posted on the main page too:

http://fantasy-faction.com/2015/new-deal-for-john-gwynne

One thing I would like to point-out about this announcement is that it is yet another ‘six-figure’ deal for an author based here in the UK. We’ve had a few of them these past few months. Off the top of my head: Laura Lam, Mark Lawrence and now John Gwynne have all picked up an undisclosed ‘six-figure’ advance. I’m not sure whether deals for a second series / six-figure deals for these second series’ would have been anywhere near as common for authors who emerged in the 90s/00s. Indeed, many of my writer friends who published books during this time were doing so with full-time jobs and I really don’t think that is right. Writing isn’t a part-time job and I feel that authors who are talented enough to be with a big six publisher should at very least be paid enough to live comfortably. I guess it would be easy to look at the likes of A Game of Thrones for pushing the demand and, therefore, payments for genre fiction up, but I like to think that it is a cumulative effort by the many authors pushing the genre in a new more widely appealing dark/historical/magical direction too. Whatever it is, it doesn’t matter, I just hope we see more of it. Authors across the UK, Europe, US, Australia, etc, etc should, in my opinion, continue to get offered deals that are at least equal to a full-time wage.
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Kazreemo

• Acolyte of Aktu, God of Goats
  • Soulfinder
  • Hate will keep you alive where love fails #Jorgism
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 02:23:10 PM »
Enjoyed reading that  :) And I'll admit its prettier than mine ;) It truly is a great time for British authors and it's fantastic to see them pulling in some high figures. Lets hope Game of Thrones starts a trend and we see some tv/film adaptations (done right of course).
I'm the best at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 02:28:52 PM »

;D I like the style!

These books were already in my wishlist, now my decision is: do I read the first 2 now, and wait for the others, or do I wait for the 4 to be published before reading them all? It seems he doesn't really need my purchases to get a deal anymore hehe

And yes, a 6-figure deal is great, and sounds amazing, but as you included in the comment, it could be just £33k/year/book, and this is gross (lots of deductions still to come...). And I don't think you get it all in one go/per year, the publishers might just drag it along in bits and pieces, so I do hope they have some extra support while writing :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Overlord

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 03:41:17 PM »

;D I like the style!

These books were already in my wishlist, now my decision is: do I read the first 2 now, and wait for the others, or do I wait for the 4 to be published before reading them all? It seems he doesn't really need my purchases to get a deal anymore hehe

And yes, a 6-figure deal is great, and sounds amazing, but as you included in the comment, it could be just £33k/year/book, and this is gross (lots of deductions still to come...). And I don't think you get it all in one go/per year, the publishers might just drag it along in bits and pieces, so I do hope they have some extra support while writing :)

I think actually that is the advance and so you'd be paid that in a lump sum and then you'd start picking up royalties after that number had been met. So, in some ways although you may end up only getting £33k a year if you perform well you could smash past that quite comfortably. At the same time, if you didn't then at least you've got your advance in the bank. I imagine authors like George R.R. Martin's royalty figures are incredible because they've got so many books out there being re-released, etc :)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 04:47:01 PM »
That's good to know.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 05:02:53 PM »
Glad to hear it. Valor was one of my favorite books I've read this year.

Offline Francis Knight

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 06:38:41 PM »
I think actually that is the advance and so you'd be paid that in a lump sum and then you'd start picking up royalties after that number had been met. So, in some ways although you may end up only getting £33k a year if you perform well you could smash past that quite comfortably.

To earn out 33k per book is quite a feat (you'd need pretty high sales!)

Also as stated, there would be deductions -- 15% to agent, tax etc. And you don't get it all at once. Usually it is one third on signing, one third when you hand in a finished book (ie after edits) and one third on publication. Which actually can be beneficial re tax....

Basically, it's not a fortune really, it's not coming all at once and you never ever expect to get any more than the advance (though if you do, then that's a bonus!

That aside, congrats to the author. A very nice deal.
My tongue has been in my cheek for so long, I've eroded a new mouth.

Duellists Trilogy (as Julia Knight) coming soon from Orbit!

http://www.juliaknight.co.uk/

Offline Davis Ashura

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 07:37:46 PM »

Also as stated, there would be deductions -- 15% to agent, tax etc. And you don't get it all at once. Usually it is one third on signing, one third when you hand in a finished book (ie after edits) and one third on publication. Which actually can be beneficial re tax....

Basically, it's not a fortune really, it's not coming all at once and you never ever expect to get any more than the advance (though if you do, then that's a bonus!

Great news for John! I loved the first book in the series and am waiting for the third so I can read book 2 and book 3 back-to-back.
As for the advance, Francis' breakdown is how I've always read that advances are given out. But since this is an advance against a trilogy, I'm not sure the rules might be slightly altered. Do they give 1/3 on signing and then some portion with each book submitted and then some more when each book is published? I would bet that might be the case since it would help the publisher's cash flow, and they might even be able to get out of paying for the last book if the first two don't sell out over their advance.
The crucible of tragedy teaches us the truth of our dharma: we sacrifice all so others need not. It is a weighty burden.

The Sorrows of Hume

Offline Francis Knight

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 08:15:52 PM »
Do they give 1/3 on signing and then some portion with each book submitted and then some more when each book is published?

Pretty much -- each book has an individual amount apportioned as its advance usually.
It may vary slight on publisher/contract but with my first series I got 1/3 of the advance for each book on signing, and at the same time I got the 1/3 for the first book finished (I think anyway...yes, pretty sure -- we got underway editing while contract was being hammered out so...) and then 1/3 of each book advance each time I turned in the next two books.

With my next series, as book one was not written/finished when I signed, then I got 1/3 of the advance for each book up front (so 1/3 of the total advance, as it was for three books) and got the 1/3 of the individual book advance when each book was finished.

they might even be able to get out of paying for the last book if the first two don't sell out over their advance.
It helps their cash flow (and can help with tax for the writer as it spreads it over tax years) but no, they can't not pay you the advance*. Besides by the time it came to that, they'd probably already given you 2/3s of that books advance.

*Well, not because they just don't feel like publishing anyway! If you break your contract then yes they can withhold, but otherwise they are in breach/ However this ofc depends on the wording of your contract which is one reason to read them very carefully because you wouldn't want to sign one which allowed a publisher to just yank your book and not pay the money they promised -- I've not seen a contract that even hints at that afaia, but I suspect more unscrupulous pubs my try it

ETA I would note that many, many novels do not earn out (the vast majority iirc) but they don't need to earn out for the pub to make a profit. The advance is calculated on what they think they'll probably sell, and they won't be aiming to break even on the deal.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 08:24:33 PM by Francis Knight »
My tongue has been in my cheek for so long, I've eroded a new mouth.

Duellists Trilogy (as Julia Knight) coming soon from Orbit!

http://www.juliaknight.co.uk/

Offline Overlord

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 08:29:36 AM »
I think actually that is the advance and so you'd be paid that in a lump sum and then you'd start picking up royalties after that number had been met. So, in some ways although you may end up only getting £33k a year if you perform well you could smash past that quite comfortably.

Huge thank you for the insight and clarification :)