November 13, 2019, 03:14:40 AM

Author Topic: SFF books with spiders in them  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
SFF books with spiders in them
« on: September 08, 2015, 07:17:56 AM »
Seeing as I thought we probably should stop hijacking the What Are You Reading thread with images and stories about spiders (we're probably also freaking out the arachnophobes as well), I thought I'd put this one up here for us to talk about books with spiders in them. The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, The Spellsinger series are 4 that immediately spring to mind for me.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Re: SFF books with spiders in them
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 08:13:02 AM »
@D_Bates's Ciara: A Faun's Tale
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ClintACK

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 11:38:52 AM »
Some of the Drizzt do'Urden books (Forgotten Realms AD&D books) have spiders -- not surprising as the Drow are a theocratic society worshipping Lolth, the spider queen demon.

And something completely different -- the third Xanth book, Castle Roogna, has a spider as a one of the protagonists.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 11:42:04 AM »
Doesn't The Dagger and the Coin by Daniel Abraham have some too? I swear I read the first couple of chapters of it, and someone had spiders inside their blood. When they got a cut, tiny little spiders crawled out of the wound.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 12:36:44 AM »
The City Stained Red by Sam Sykes has a city that makes all its money by its gigantic spiders that spin silk. Huge/towering spiders! They are revered and guarded because without them, the city would be nothing.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 01:29:16 AM »
Doesn't The Dagger and the Coin by Daniel Abraham have some too? I swear I read the first couple of chapters of it, and someone had spiders inside their blood. When they got a cut, tiny little spiders crawled out of the wound.
I think one of the societies in The Dagger and the Coin worship spiders, I remember the same scene. Aren't there also spiders in the Empire series by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurtz? The main character had to do a deal with them. I forgot one well known novel that has a spider in it and that's Charlotte's Web, it's probably one of the few where the spider is actually a hero of sorts.

Offline ClintACK

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 02:32:17 AM »
Aren't there also spiders in the Empire series by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurtz? The main character had to do a deal with them.

The Cho-ja (sp?) -- sort of sentient centaur/giant-ant things that spin silk and live in underground hives and can't break their word -- which some unscrupulous humans take advantage of.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 08:33:34 AM »
The Iron Ghost (briefly)has giant spiders.

I got bitten by a wolf spider last week. A very rare occurrence in the UK and no ill effects unlike the stuff our Australian and some American posters have to deal with, And no spidypowers either.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 08:25:41 PM by Rostum »

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 10:38:22 AM »
There are theories that the inclusion of Shelob in The Hobbit and LotR was caused by Tolkien being bitten by a baboon spider in Africa as a child. Tolkien himself refuted that, saying that he had little memory of the incident and that he bore spiders overall no ill will for it.

Offline leterile

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 01:28:00 AM »
I don't know if It is technically SFF, but at the end you find out Pennywise's true form is a giant spider. Also, in Heroes Die, someone gets tortured by having spider eggs implanted under their skin. Gave me the willies for days after I read that.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 04:39:32 AM »
I don't know if It is technically SFF, but at the end you find out Pennywise's true form is a giant spider. Also, in Heroes Die, someone gets tortured by having spider eggs implanted under their skin. Gave me the willies for days after I read that.
I'd call It SFF. It probably qualifies as dark fantasy.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 06:47:03 PM »
One of the very early Xanth books (when they were still fun) is called Castle Roogna, if I'm remembering properly (looked it up, it's book 3). The book centers around an adventure of Prince Dor and his buddy, Jumper.

So, short explanation, Dor enters a magical tapestry that is actually time travel (or a recreation of history) and a tiny spider who is on the tapestry gets sucked in with him and becomes a huge spider (like horse size) because Dor is made small size in the tapestry. This spider is named Jumper, and he can talk, and he's pretty chill (for a spider) so Dor and Jumper team up to save (past) Xanth from an invasion - or something like that. It's been awhile since I read the book.

I know that there are like 80 books in the Xanth series now (I'm exaggerating) and I stopped reading around 15-16 (that was many years ago) but the early books were really addictively fun. So, I'd recommend this one, as I can't think of a book that features a spider character more prominently.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 01:24:45 AM »
Weren't the main baddies in Codex Alera spiders or at least spider-like?

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 02:04:29 AM »
The Bad Thing from Feist's Faerie Tale was rather spider like, certainly the picture on the cover of my copy made it look that way.