August 13, 2020, 06:14:56 PM

Author Topic: Sex  (Read 10605 times)

Offline Dan D Jones

Re: Sex
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2011, 06:49:22 PM »
Hmm, Overlord, could this be a future Writing Challenge topic?

Offline Overlord

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2011, 07:27:44 PM »
Hmm, Overlord, could this be a future Writing Challenge topic?

How would we judge it? *Grin*
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2011, 07:37:48 PM »
I really want to answer the last question but dont wanna sound childish and pervey!

The size and length of the wood given?:$
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Dan D Jones

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2011, 08:18:52 PM »
I really want to answer the last question but dont wanna sound childish and pervey!

The size and length of the wood given?:$

That method's a bit misogynistic, isn't it?

Offline Overlord

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2011, 08:51:42 PM »
LOL - I will suggest it to Jennie...

Erm... wow... everything on this thread sounds wrong! I meant as a topic for the writing competition.
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2011, 09:02:54 PM »
LOL - I will suggest it to Jennie...

Erm... wow... everything on this thread sounds wrong! I meant as a topic for the writing competition.

I'm thinking no...  ;)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2018, 06:38:20 AM »
TMI, boys and girls! Besides, Reubens wouldn't agree...

As I've said, I think less is more, on the whole. I don't need to see the minute details of a torture (yes, I'm looking at you, Scott Lynch) to be appalled by the torturer's actions, I don't need to see all the anatomical details of a sex scene in order to understand how these characters feel about one another.

It's perfectly possible to write a sex scene that's neither fade-to-black nor erotica - but if there are few examples in the genre, how are new writers going to learn what's possible and/or acceptable?

I must've linked this three or four times now, but I really rate Sophia McDougall's blog posts about writing sex scenes. (Appropriately, we're about to publish a very steamy short story from her, too. She practices what she preaches.)

I can't wait to meet you in real life and find out what you actually do!!!

Great blog article and perhaps the best title for a blog post ever:
'Let’s write about sex, baby!'

I never see much sex scenes in the Fantasy I read  if I do it’s mostly badly written, that’s probably why there’s a lot of  fade to black.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2018, 04:18:54 AM »
That's some serious thread necromancy, congrats!

A hypothesis: sex scenes in standard, mainstream (by which I mean: non-romance) fantasy are often disappointing because romance development is deprecated in standard mainstream fantasy and therefore the sex scenes are missing key elements and context that elevate tab-a-in-slot-b mechanics into something meaningful and compelling.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2018, 02:28:12 PM »
When I was thinking about the complaints of romance, I wonder if that writing advice to show only the most important things and events in a character's life for pace and etc has something to do about it.

Most people usually end up with various partners during life, each with its various upsides and downsides, great moments and lessons learned and, happy memories and regrets, etc.

But nope, that would be too boring to read all those relationships and maturing. Even older characters in stories only ever had one serious partner, and he/she either is still with them or died some time ago. There may be mentions of prostitutes for more extroverted characters, but usually it's just one person that really marks/marked them.

Then comes the standard story and that writing advice of just writing was relevant and important on the MC's life. So the hero sets up to destroy established and super powerful evil Empire that it's centuries or thousands of years old and that smashed any previous attempt of rebellion.
It would be too boring to go through decades of that, so he/she will do it in the span of a few days, or some weeks maximum.

During that, he/she will of course find the love of their lives, since finding that person it's a very relevant thing in their lives. In the first case, it's almost sure that they both are nice and that'll be love at first sight, but something will get in their way (shyness, social position, etc) but they'll be together by the end.

In the second case they both are repelled by each other and they pass most of the story arguing and etc. If MC is male, eventually he breaks the ice and conquers the girl. If MC is female, she'll find the hottest super Alpha around. Too bad he'll also be an extremely arrogant ass, and that will initially repel the female MC... but hey, it's the hottest Alpha around! After much pushing and pulling (usually through various volumes), eventually the Alpha will change his ways because of the girl.

Anyway, in a few days/weeks, Evil is defeated, heroes meet and marry and live happily ever after in perfection without any kind of problem and also while giving everyone else eternal peace and prosperity.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2018, 12:20:22 AM »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2018, 01:32:33 PM »
Yes please.
The Real Powers That Be