July 18, 2019, 06:01:43 AM

Author Topic: Series Suggestion  (Read 1962 times)

Offline isos81

Series Suggestion
« on: May 07, 2019, 09:29:43 PM »
Hi all,

I am new in this forum and very much excited to be among you guys. I have been reading fantasy books for a very long time and I think I'm becoming more and more picky lately. That's why I need your help.

• Here are some books I enjoyed: Malazan, First Law, Wheel of Time, Lightbringer, Dark Elf Books, Eddings Books, Demon Cycle, Dark Tower, Harry Potter
  • Here are some books I was OK with: Mistborn, Acts of Caine, Earthsea, Long Price Quartet, Inheritance Trilogy (the 3rd book was very bad), Sword of Shannara
  • Here are some books I could not even finish: The Broken Earth, Prince of Nothing, Sword of Shannara, Magicians

There might be others I might have missed but this pretty much sums it all. I love epic fantasies with magic involved. What should I read next?

Thanks everyone
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: Series Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 11:53:51 PM »
One title recommendation : Kings of The Wyld.

Go in blind, thank me later.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 01:55:16 AM »
How do you feel about Game of Thrones / Song of Ice and Fire? There's a Daniel Abraham (who wrote the Long Price) series that starts with The Dragon's Path that has that same politics / mercantile / action blend as GoT, but packs it into a tight five-book (finished) arc. Now, look, I loved the Long Price Quartet, but I appreciate that it isn't for everyone. This series has a lot more zing, but the same sort of great character and worldbuilding work.

Otherwise, I think our tastes might be largely opposite, so I'm not sure how much help I can be. :) But some evergreen recommendations that I don't see on your list there would include: Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora; Joe Abercrombie; and maybe Anthony Ryan (I was underwhelmed with the Raven's Shadow books, but really enjoyed The Waking Fire, your mileage may of course vary).

Offline Peat

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 03:34:13 AM »
What is it that's separated the stuff you've enjoyed from the stuff you were okay with? There's some fairly similar stuff in both columns.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline isos81

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 07:15:56 AM »

Thanks for the reccomendation, will give it a go :)

But I think this series is not finished yet, is it? How many books will be?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 07:42:42 AM by isos81 »
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline isos81

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 07:34:27 AM »
How do you feel about Game of Thrones / Song of Ice and Fire? There's a Daniel Abraham (who wrote the Long Price) series that starts with The Dragon's Path that has that same politics / mercantile / action blend as GoT, but packs it into a tight five-book (finished) arc. Now, look, I loved the Long Price Quartet, but I appreciate that it isn't for everyone. This series has a lot more zing, but the same sort of great character and worldbuilding work.

Otherwise, I think our tastes might be largely opposite, so I'm not sure how much help I can be. :) But some evergreen recommendations that I don't see on your list there would include: Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora; Joe Abercrombie; and maybe Anthony Ryan (I was underwhelmed with the Raven's Shadow books, but really enjoyed The Waking Fire, your mileage may of course vary).

Actually, I didn't read GoT books but watched the series and loved it. I'll check Dragon's Path (the name is very intriguing  :) )

I started Lies couple of days ago but the terminology was hard for me so I had to drop it for the moment. Reading in a foreign language is a challenge in itself and most of the fantasy books are not translated into Turkish :(

BTW, I read Abercrombie's First Law series. I mainly prefer finished series.

Offline isos81

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 07:39:50 AM »
What is it that's separated the stuff you've enjoyed from the stuff you were okay with? There's some fairly similar stuff in both columns.

I'm not sure to be honest. Started Grossman's Magicians series with great hopes but that was a total disappointment. Jemisin's Broken Earth was the same.

Started Demon Cycle and Lightbringer with no hope at all, but enjoyed very much. Wish I knew :)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 07:59:43 AM »
I see you haven't tried Mark Lawrence yet: any of his 3 trilogies are very good, with the last one being quite different from the other 2.

Jen Williams' books are also great. She's got a full trilogy out (starting with "The copper promise"), and the last book of the second trilogy is out next week.

Robin Hobb is also super - start with "The royal assassin" and enjoy the 16 books' ride, hehe

(and welcome, by the way!
Tell us stuff about you, here, or in the Introductions section :) )
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 08:06:17 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline isos81

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 08:05:48 AM »
I see you haven't tried Mark Lawrence yet: any of his 3 trilogies are very good, with the last one being quite different from the other 2.

Jen Williams' books are also great. She's got a full trilogy out (starting with "The copper promise"), and the last book of the second trilogy is out next week.

Robin Hobb is also super - start with "The royal assassin" and enjoy the 16 books' ride, hehe

I recently added Broken Empire Books to my ebook reader but did not start it yet. I also read Robin Hobb :)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 08:06:12 AM »

Thanks for the reccomendation, will give it a go :)

But I think this series is not finished yet, is it? How many books will be?
There’s a sequel to Kings of the Wyld, Bloody Rose, it’s also really good. It’s a duology, so once you’ve read the 2 you’re done. Quite refreshing really. You could go old school and give Tad Williams’ Memory, Sorrow and Thorn a go.

Offline isos81

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 08:13:59 AM »
(and welcome, by the way!
Tell us stuff about you, here, or in the Introductions section :) )

Thanks! I looked for introduction pages but could not find.

I am Ismet from Ankara, Turkey. 38 years old, computer engineer. Married, 2 kids (twins) :)

I love fantasy books because I always dream that I'm not reading a book but living a life. That's why I prefer magic books mainly :)

Anything specific I should tell about myself?

Offline isos81

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 08:16:54 AM »
There’s a sequel to Kings of the Wyld, Bloody Rose, it’s also really good. It’s a duology, so once you’ve read the 2 you’re done. Quite refreshing really. You could go old school and give Tad Williams’ Memory, Sorrow and Thorn a go.

Isn't there a 3rd book on the way? Saw it on goodreads.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 09:35:08 AM »
Kings of the Wyld and Bloody Rose work as complete standalone books so don't worry there. I would also recommend The Divine Cities series by Robert Jackson Bennett, The Ninth Rain by Jen Williams (series will be complete in about a week from now) and Blackwing by Ed McDonald.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 11:20:40 AM »

Isn't there a 3rd book on the way? Saw it on goodreads.
He signed for 3 books, but gave strong indications that story and the characters are done. May set something else in the same world, but I’d personally like to see what else he can do.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Bender

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 11:34:35 AM »
Stormlight Archives
Kingkiller Chronicles
The Magician (Raymond Feist)
Black Company
Not all those who wander are lost