October 20, 2019, 10:49:38 PM

Author Topic: Self Published Books - Do you read them?  (Read 10138 times)

Offline Roxxsmom

Re: Self Published Books - Do you read them?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 07:26:05 AM »
Hey readers, if you have some time I'd truly appreciate you answering the following questions:

How many Self Published books you have read.

What ratio of Self Published Books do you read vs Traditional.

Do you feel there is a difference in the quality of Self Published books vs Traditional Quality books?

In terms of pricing, would you pay the same for a Traditional book vs a Self Published book?

1. Almost none. I've purchased a couple from authors I knew from online sites and wanted to support, and one that was a free promotion from B&N. but they didn't appeal much to me, so I didn't finish them. They weren't bad or anything, just not my taste.

2. The ratio of trade published to self published is almost infinite for me, in that the overwhelming majority of books I've read and want to read are trade published.

3. The ones I read were close in quality, because the authors had paid for professional editing, covers and book design, but overall, no. Most of the ones I've scanned online don't seem very well done.

4. No, I wouldn't overall, unless I had reason to believe it was an unusually good self-published book.

The main thing, though, is that I have this huge stack of books I want to read already, either by authors I know and love, or by new ones who are a similar style of fantasy to what I'm writing and querying. So anything self published will go to the bottom.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 07:27:56 AM by Roxxsmom »

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2015, 09:18:05 AM »
I've only read a few self-published books, and then only ones where either the first book was made available for free (and I heard enough about it to pick it up) or the author reached out to me on Goodreads in exchange for a review. My reason being: I don't buy books unless I know I'm going to enjoy them. If it's not an author whose work I know I love, I borrow them from the library. (And then if I enjoy them, I buy them.)

In general, both the self-pubbed books I've read, and the books I've read that started out as self-pubbed before getting picked up by traditional publishers, have left me underwhelmed. Then again, I am a really tough crowd, and there's also plenty of traditionally published fantasy that makes me make the same face. I suspect, however - indeed, I expect - that there's a wide morass of poor-quality self-pubbed stuff that I'm completely unaware of because I don't venture into that arena at all. And that expectation makes venturing out there less attractive.

Given my problem with buying books cold, price is a complete non-issue in terms of buying or not buying trad- vs self-published books. If I've determined that a book is something I do, will or am likely to enjoy, I'll buy it. The problem for self-pubbed books is convincing me of that, given they have basically no library coverage, and extremely limited chances to get my attention elsewise. I'd probably need to hear buzz through reviewers/blogs and have some way of getting hold of a free first book or significant sample in order to actually shell out anything - even 99 cents - to acquire the thing. (I'm not someone who just picks up free digital everything. Digital clutter aggravates me even more than physical clutter, because at least I can sort through physical clutter more easily.)

Offline Rostum

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 02:24:42 PM »
I will make an an exception for this one, my next Ebook.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013M2CQ5O

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 02:43:14 PM »
I will make an an exception for this one, my next Ebook.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013M2CQ5O

Wow @Rostum, thanks for that  :) I really hope you find it worth your time!

I only just self-published my book, so I don't really have much to say as an author yet. As a reader, like many others, I have read books that were self-published but only after they were picked up by traditional publishers. It's not something I've actively chosen, but my TBR pile grows based on the opinions of people I know and blogs I read, and traditionally published titles tend to draw more attention than self-published ones.

Maybe things will change in the coming months, as I get more familiar with this world.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 03:35:35 PM »
I think I'm going to add something:

I will be willing to read self-pub if I know the writers, and have seen examples of their writing skills :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline YordanZh

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 03:47:25 PM »

I will be willing to read self-pub if I know the writers, and have seen examples of their writing skills :D

Well, that's a bit circular. ;D

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 03:49:00 PM »

I think she means know them personally, rather than know of them.  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 03:52:51 PM »

I would only buy/read them if there had 500+ posts on F-F  ;)
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2015, 03:56:16 PM »

Sounds like a good cut-off point to me!
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline YordanZh

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2015, 04:08:48 PM »

500? *Gulp!* Ok, it's spam time!  ::)

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2015, 05:36:07 PM »
Recommendations are the key to most of the books I buy and read.

Has it been talked about on Fantasy-Faction? (Difficult for a lot of self-pub'd authors to break through here)

Has it been reviewed by a blogger, magazine, channel I like and trust? (Difficult for a lot of self-pub'd authors to break through here)

Are my friends, my social media contacts, talking about it? (Easier for a self-pub'd author to gain a little traction here, not easy, but easier)

The #SPFBO has been a good experience for a number of Self-Pub'd authors - we await the notification of this site's chosen one (the list is down to three) and it is worth looking out for those who received good reviews here. Scores on the doors from Bookwormblues.net suggest there are some very good self-pub books out there.

Amazon reviews (I know they are not totally reliable) or Goodreads reviews - just looking at them gives some ideas.

Finally, there is the Amazon Look Inside feature (which I really must make more use of) which is a bit like browsing in a book shop.

But above it all, recommendations, word of mouth, that casual mention of a good book. "You might like this...", "I've just read <insert book here> and thought it was...", "Have you read <insert book here>? It's great. I really liked the..."

(It'll take me years to get to 500 posts, but I do write articles for the site - that has to count for something :P )
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2015, 05:53:46 PM »
My 500 posts comment was jokey  ;D but I'm more likely to pick a book if I see an author post here but not if he or she just post's in the Small Press & Self-Published

Saraband, G_R_Matthews, YordanZh I see that you post in different area's of the forum where I can see your humour and other stuff come shinning through and see that you are active and part of the community here, so I'm more likely to pick you novels up then just a guy who posts only in Small Press & Self-Published

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline YordanZh

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2015, 05:55:01 PM »

Has it been reviewed by a blogger, magazine, channel I like and trust? (Difficult for a lot of self-pub'd authors to break through here)

Tell me about it. In the last 4-5 days I wrote to a total of 350-400 bloggers and reviewers (I'm not exaggerating). So far only 15 of them have asked me to give them my book. And unlike most indies, I'm already published abroad, professionally translated, edited, with successful CF campaign, etc, etc. It's insane! I completely understand it of course, their TBR piles must be higher than my house, but yeah - it's hard

Are my friends, my social media contacts, talking about it? (Easier for a self-pub'd author to gain a little traction here, not easy, but easier)

I don't really see how this is easier. How am I, as a writer, supposed to get to your circle of friends? And if I sell so much that a lot of people know about me (including your friends), then that pretty much means that I've already reached my goal.

The #SPFBO has been a good experience for a number of Self-Pub'd authors - we await the notification of this site's chosen one (the list is down to three) and it is worth looking out for those who received good reviews here. Scores on the doors from Bookwormblues.net suggest there are some very good self-pub books out there.

Wait, the SPFBO is over right? It isn't still going? Sorry, as a foreigner I tend to miss a lot of these things... it's hard doing everything on two languages at the same time, including just staying up to date with such events.

My 500 posts comment was jokey  ;D but I'm more likely to pick a book if I see an author post here but not if he or she just post's in the Small Press & Self-Published

Too late now, the spam is already on the way.  8)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 06:00:42 PM by YordanZh »

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 06:00:43 PM »
Too late now, the spam is already on the way.  8)

@Jmack loves spam!  ;D

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 06:03:15 PM »

Wait, the SPFBO is over right? It isn't still going? Sorry, as a foreigner I tend to miss a lot of these things... it's hard doing everything on two languages at the same time, including just staying up to date with such events.

It's 'over' in the sense that submissions have closed about 3 months ago, but the review and voting is just coming to the end of phase 1, where the 10 sites/bloggers choose their favourite out of the 26-27 they read.
Phase 2 is for each of the 10 sites/bloggers to read the other 9 top books chosen.
Then out of this you get the final winner.
:)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams