October 01, 2020, 08:11:38 PM

Author Topic: Seeking lengthy modern fantasy series  (Read 6131 times)

Offline ChristinaJL

Re: Seeking lengthy modern fantasy series
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 08:18:25 PM »
Apparently there are going to be 10 before he starts another arc in the same world :)

Oh, I wonder what direction he'll take after the next 3 then?  And what I want to know, is how come he can write so quickly, yet produce great work when other writers take years and years?   :D

Offline Overlord

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 09:44:10 AM »
Apparently there are going to be 10 before he starts another arc in the same world :)

Oh, I wonder what direction he'll take after the next 3 then?  And what I want to know, is how come he can write so quickly, yet produce great work when other writers take years and years?   :D

He said there would be a time shift... but no more than that :P

I asked the same thing about writing quickly!

He said he doesn't actually write quickly, he'd just written a lot before he was actually picked up. He said now though it has caught up with him and he will be reducing the rate down to around one a year :P
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Drying Ink

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 11:50:13 AM »
That's similar to Sanderson's statement - though an epic fantasy per year (or two!) is still incredibly fast, considering slower releases like Martin's ASOIAF and Rothfuss'.

Offline Overlord

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 02:10:05 PM »
That's similar to Sanderson's statement - though an epic fantasy per year (or two!) is still incredibly fast, considering slower releases like Martin's ASOIAF and Rothfuss'.

Agreed! And yeah, reminded me of what Sanderson said ;) Although that makes me wonder if perhaps they are just saying that so they don't have any pressure added onto them :P
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 12:07:53 AM »
I think it really comes down to different authors work different ways. Sanderson seems to outline everything before he starts. Erikson seems to do the same and I'm not sure about how Abercrombie works, but he manages to average a book a year as well. Rothfuss thought he'd finished Wise Man's Fear a couple of times only to have it sent back and be told that it required more editing and polishing. Martin's delays with A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons were largely due to a shift in his thinking. He works with a rough (very rough) outline (how I have no idea with a story as complex as A Song of Ice and Fire) and he originally planned to start A Dance with Dragons after a 5 year gap after the end of A Storm of Swords, 18 months into the process he scrapped that idea and then the story just grew beyond anything he'd ever envisaged, and it took time to sort the whole mess out. Hopefully he can now get back to a more regular schedule of releases, although his age (he's 63) and involvement with other things may impact this, let's not talk about his insistence that he can only write fiction on an ancient word precessor using an equally ancient operating system. Then of course we come to Scott Lynch, who started off in a blaze of glory, but has since been in the grip of a crippling mental illness (he suffers from depression), but the recent news there is encouraging and hopefully he's got that under control now.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com