October 16, 2018, 01:10:43 AM

Author Topic: Science Fantasy  (Read 286 times)

Offline NedMarcus

Science Fantasy
« on: September 25, 2018, 12:33:56 PM »
Are there any fans of science fantasy here? Of stories where magic and science compete or exist alongside each other? Or of hi-tech societies where magic exists?

This is one of my favourite genres. Anyone have any favourite authors in this sub-genre? Also, I'm just curious if there's anyone else out there :)

Offline Rostum

Re: Science Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 12:57:41 PM »
Julian May The saga of the exiles would by my favourite series

Offline Slaykomimi

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 06:40:34 PM »
I would definetly want to dig in into things like that too, always found the concept awesome but the only thing I´ve found yet that made it good and felt real was Shadowrun on the SNES.

Also I should admit that I never searched for anything like that since I thought nobody wants to do something like this since it is surely super easy to screw up.
Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.

-Edward d. Morrison

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 09:30:10 AM »
Julian May The saga of the exiles would by my favourite series
Thanks. I read some of his stories years ago but had completely forgotten about his work.

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 09:34:12 AM »
Also I should admit that I never searched for anything like that since I thought nobody wants to do something like this since it is surely super easy to screw up.
Why do you think it's easier to screw up than other kinds of fantasy?

Offline Rostum

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 01:02:28 PM »
Thanks. I read some of his her stories years ago but had completely forgotten about his her work.

fixed that for you and there are lots of great books, some pre intervention some post and of course the exiles chronologically before anything else.

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 01:14:31 PM »
Thanks. I read some of his her stories years ago but had completely forgotten about his her work.

fixed that for you and there are lots of great books, some pre intervention some post and of course the exiles chronologically before anything else.
;D I never knew that. It shows that I just focus on the stories!

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 01:54:14 PM »
I find I generally want different things from fantasy and SF, so don't tend to cross the streams. (This is also why I never know what to say when people ask for SF for fantasy readers or vice versa.)

There are plenty of stories where there are psychic powers, like the aforementioned Julian May, but it's basically treated like it's not fantasy. There are also stories - usually post-apocalyptic - where tech has reverted to primitive levels, and the stories can contain fantastical elements (there's been a bit of a run of books I'd call fantasy which are nominally set on a future Earth: Mark Lawrence's Jorg books, Joe Abercrombie's Shattered Seas, etc) or can feel like fantasy while actually still being SF (my go-to example here is Dreamsnake by Vonda N McIntyre). It's rarer just to see SF with traditional fantasy elements thrown in, as in Shadowrun or WH40K.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 09:17:41 PM »
I love science fantasy. I would say it's definitely more fantasy than science fiction. There may be technology, but usually it's not explained in great detail. It just makes the story more awesome.

Online Alex Hormann

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 11:42:54 AM »
I'm generally not a fan of Science Fantasy, as I prefer my SF at the harder end of the spectrum. That said, I think Warhammer 40,000 is the way to go. I prefer the military style of Gaunt's Ghosts and the Astra Militarum, but you might prefer Gav Thorpe's Eldar books. They're pretty much elves in space.

Peter Newman's Vagrant might also apply, as there's some pretty advanced tech in it.

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 01:30:17 PM »
I love science fantasy. I would say it's definitely more fantasy than science fiction. There may be technology, but usually it's not explained in great detail. It just makes the story more awesome.
I agree about science fantasy being more fantasy. Actually, I see it as a sub-genre of fantasy, not science fiction. The technology part isn't central, although sometimes the relationship between magic and science becomes important.