The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester
1 (2.9%)
The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey
2 (5.9%)
A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: October 01, 2020, 06:59:58 AM

Author Topic: Sci-Fi Reading Order  (Read 821 times)

Offline isos81

Sci-Fi Reading Order
« on: September 24, 2020, 06:59:58 AM »
Hi all, hope you are doing great in these hard times.

Some of you might already know that I was always into fantasy, and not much into Sci-Fi. I don't know why, but I want to read Sci-Fi for the rest of the year (after completing the series I've already started).

I want to ask you people, what to read and in what order. And the best way seemed like a poll. Who doesn't like polls, right? :)

Below are some nominees I could find thorugh my research. Some of them were suggested by you, so it may look familiar. Pelase vote 3 books. I'll start with the highest, and then switch to the lowest. Or maybe follow the results, didn't decide yet. :)

Thanks!

OK, here we go. :)

Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
Re: Sci-Fi Reading Order
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 07:51:02 AM »
I go with bobiverse

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 08:04:17 AM »
I voted for the only 3 I read, although you shouldn't really rely on me for this ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline isos81

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 08:17:46 AM »
I go with bobiverse

What's that?

I voted for the only 3 I read, although you shouldn't really rely on me for this ;D

No problem, you can vote for the books you didn't even read :) And, you can also modify your choices.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 08:23:10 AM »

We Are Legion We Are Bob (Bobiverse, #1)

Refreshing new take on sci-fi where all protagonists are clones of same person. A new take on future of humanity angle and written in a funny yet thoughtful manner. Stretches a bit, even for sci-fi but overall a nice read.

7/10

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline hexa

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 08:36:38 AM »
I voted for Philip K Dick

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 10:52:15 AM »
Old Man's War, Hitchhiker's Guide and Long way to a small angry planet. 4th option would've been Imperial Radch.
Impossible Times isn't SciFi imho but nevertheless cool and reading some classics like Dick, Asimov or Herbert can't hurt either.
So all in all, three votes wasn't enough. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Bender

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 01:16:54 PM »
Old Man's War and Expanse definitely. Can add Murderbot here too.
Foundation and probably Bobiverse next
Heard good stuff about Red Rising, but haven't read. Same with Memory called Empire.

I'd leave Hyperion and Three Body Problem for last. Three Body is especially really hard sci-fi.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 01:33:20 PM »
I voted for Dune as it’s one of those staple books, Hitchikers because I’ve always loved it, should also listen to the original radio play if you can, and Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, because it’s superlative writing by a potential superstar of the genre.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 01:41:16 PM »
@Elfy told me I wasn’t allowed to “down vote” Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy,  >:( >:(

Alternative to Foundation by Asimov are the Robot series, starts with The Caves f Steel, and eventually dovetails into Foundation.
And if you do read the Foundation series, do it in publication, not chronological order (basically, start with Foundation, not Prelude to Foundation).

And a recommendation that isn’t on the lost, The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 01:44:35 PM »
And a recommendation that isn’t on the list, The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin.
Oh, I read this one too! It's super interesting :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2020, 01:52:01 PM »
And a recommendation that isn’t on the list, The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin.
Oh, I read this one too! It's super interesting :)

I read it for Year 12 (final year of high school) English.  The theme that year was Changes, it was a really interesting book to read, I loved it.  It’s one of the few books from high school that I remember fondly (or at all, if you don’t count Shakespeare, which my friends and I read for fun outside of compulsory class- assigned text).
Another book for that year was The Inheritors by William Golding (who also wrote Lord of the Flies).  That was interesting, but I didn’t love it the same.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline isos81

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 01:56:16 PM »
I can't change the vote count :( But, I can create a new one with a vote count of up to 5 (or 10?) if you'd like.

I would also add some books mentioned here that I forgot to add to the list.

You decide :)

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 02:22:43 PM »
I can't change the vote count :( But, I can create a new one with a vote count of up to 5 (or 10?) if you'd like.

I would also add some books mentioned here that I forgot to add to the list.

You decide :)

Nah, if you add more vote choices, it dilutes the results - having to pick 3 means we have to be sure of the favourite/best, rather than filling up spaces with just “okay” stuff.  (And by okay I meant personal choice, not that the book is generally considered that way).

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 03:55:40 PM »
Oh boy. I could witter on about Sci Fi recommendations all day long (and have a blog where I do just that  :P )

I'm not a great believer in literary canons where you must read the classics before going onto newer works, but I fully recommend Foundation and Dune. Foundation is a fairly short read and, in my opinion, the best piece of SF out there. Dune meanwhile is probably the perfect way to transition from fantasy to SF, as it employs many of the same tropes.

In newer works, Old Man's War and Expanse are both easy to get into and generally sustain their quality throughout. I might suggest Scalzi's Interdependency trilogy as an alternative to Old Man's War, as I feel it's a lot stronger.

I think the main thing to decide is -why- you want to read science fiction. if you want great worldbuilding, Dune or A Memory Called Empire are great places to start. If you want strong characters, Becky Chambers has that. if you want to go right into the deep end of complicated fictional science, Cixin Liu is your man. I think Three Body is one of the best series of the past few decades, but its certainly not easy to wrap my head around.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex