June 18, 2019, 05:03:13 AM

Author Topic: Romance/Relationship in Fantasy  (Read 15136 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Romance/Relationship in Fantasy
« on: December 18, 2013, 05:37:21 PM »
How much Romance do you want in a fantasy novel ?

Which Couples are you Favourites in fantasy/sci-fi

At the minute I'm reading The Alchemist of Souls and I'm not particular enjoying Coby and Mal will there won't there relationship, it got me thinking which relationship in fantasy I do like it was quite hard to think which ones I do, I like this ones

Lois lane/Clark Kent
Captain Frey/Trinica,
Atticus/Granuaile
Captain/Amicia
Celia/ Marco

probably more but I cant' think at the moment
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 06:46:53 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Yuan François

• Godling
  • Love is a sweet poison, but it kills nevertheless.
    • View Profile
Re: Romance/Relationship in Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 06:49:32 PM »
I dont read enough to remember those perfect romances. But if you ask how much I want in fantasy? A lot!
Is the hero really the hero if he doesn't get the girl? I think not.
Romance adds just the right thing to most stories. Something hard to describe... A magnetic element? Zest, zeal?
"It seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come."
-Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare

http://enygmatickid.wordpress.com/

https://princeandprodigy.wordpress.com/

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 07:01:24 PM »
That's a tough call. I definitely like it when its done a certain way. But I don't like characters mooning or obsessing over each other. I want it to be ill fated and with lots of turmoil. Make my romancers suffer in the process of finding their way to one another. And once again, don't obsess about it in the process. So, definitely sub-plot. I also can't stand when romance comes on suddenly and redirects the characters motives. I want them to stay true to their original task, goals, motivations and only change if there are lessons learned in the process, not because they have suddenly fallen deeply and truly in love from a fluttering glance across the room. *gag*
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Yuan François

• Godling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 07:17:23 PM »
That's a tough call. I definitely like it when its done a certain way. But I don't like characters mooning or obsessing over each other. I want it to be ill fated and with lots of turmoil. Make my romancers suffer in the process of finding their way to one another. And once again, don't obsess about it in the process. So, definitely sub-plot. I also can't stand when romance comes on suddenly and redirects the characters motives. I want them to stay true to their original task, goals, motivations and only change if there are lessons learned in the process, not because they have suddenly fallen deeply and truly in love from a fluttering glance across the room. *gag*

Couldn't have said it better. That is, the perfect fantasy romance.
"It seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come."

Offline Fellshot

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 09:42:11 PM »
I like having a variety of romances and relationships in novels because otherwise I get bored. I'm okay with the ill fated lovers trope, but I don't want it to be the be all end all. I'm okay with the protagonist finally getting their dream lover, but it doesn't have to happen all the time. I want it to be an important character building subplot, not a prize.

What if the girl wants someone else? Sorry, that's a silly means of measuring heroic-ness without context. :P A hero can still be a hero and not get the girl. Or boy. Or whatever.

Offline Dan D Jones

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 10:03:07 PM »
I largely agree with Arry.  I certainly don't require romance in my fantasy, but I have no objection to it being there so long as it serves the story and is a believable extension of the character's personality.  I usually don't want the story to serve the romance - in other words, with rare exception, I don't really care to read a romance in a fantasy setting as opposed to reading a fantasy with a romantic subplot.

By coincidence, I'm currently reading The Alchemist of Souls as well. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm still early in the Mal/Coby scenario - Coby is just admitting to herself that she likes Mal and Mal still apparently has no idea she's a girl.  So I can't comment a whole lot on that relationship.  We'll see how it goes.

Romances I enjoyed:

Garion and Ce'Nedra  - The Belgariad, David Eddings.  That one goes way back to my teenage days, and will always have a soft spot in my heart.

Vlad and Cawti - Vlad Taltos novels,  Steven Brust. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm still rooting for them to somehow, someway patch things up.

Phèdre and Joscelin - Kushiel's Legacy,     Jacqueline Carey

Paul and Chani - Dune series, Frank Herbert

Vanyel and Tylendel - Last Herald-Mage, Mercedes Lackey.  Another one from my long-distant youth that stuck with me and actually changed my perspective on certain social matters.

Morgon and Raederle - Riddlemaster of Hed, Patricia A. McKillip

There's probably quite a few more that I could come up with but these spring immediately to mind.

Offline Yuan François

• Godling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 10:04:21 PM »
I like having a variety of romances and relationships in novels because otherwise I get bored. I'm okay with the ill fated lovers trope, but I don't want it to be the be all end all. I'm okay with the protagonist finally getting their dream lover, but it doesn't have to happen all the time. I want it to be an important character building subplot, not a prize.

What if the girl wants someone else? Sorry, that's a silly means of measuring heroic-ness without context. :P A hero can still be a hero and not get the girl. Or boy. Or whatever.

*Rubs head*
I was just rounding it off to the cliche. Not much thought to it.  =3

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 10:04:28 PM »
Some of my favorite romances from books (even though some ended badly, which is probably why I like them)

- Fitz and Molly (Farseer Trilogy)
- Morgan Leah and Quickening (Scions of Shannara)
- Jakkin and Akki (Pit Dragon series - surprisingly well written for YA)

Also, might as well include video games, since Final Fantasy actually does pretty good romances.

- Tidus and Yuna (ending of FFX gave me the feels)
- Celes and Locke (FF6)
- Trip and Monkey (Enslaved)

Offline AshKB

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 10:10:02 PM »

Exactly. If there's a love interest, I really don't think they (frequently 'she', because being an object to be fought over seems to be par the course for female characters here, and NATURALLY the hero of the piece is a guy) should be "got". They get together, or have a relationship, which is very different.

Back at the original question....hmm, at the moment, I'm just all for healthy, perfectly consensual relationships with no abuse or rape-y overtones. Not here for "twisted" or "dark". I also don't mind the level of romance - sometimes, I just want to read a romance. Sometimes I want to read something that has only background pairings. It just depends on the mood.

(If anyone has any recs of books that have healthy, equal relationships in them, I'd be glad to have them.)
The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be lighted - Plutarch

I not only use all the brains I have, but all that I can borrow - Woodrow Wilson

Offline Fellshot

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 10:47:05 PM »

*Rubs head*
I was just rounding it off to the cliche. Not much thought to it.  =3

Just chalk it up to my Marianas Trench worth of loathing for certain unhealthy tropes. :)

One of my favorite heroes never hooks up with anybody, but all of the character's friends seem to find someone to hook up with and there's always a lot of happy about it without being bitter.

Back at the original question....hmm, at the moment, I'm just all for healthy, perfectly consensual relationships with no abuse or rape-y overtones.

THIS. ALL OF IT.

(If anyone has any recs of books that have healthy, equal relationships in them, I'd be glad to have them.)

It's played for comedy, but I do mostly like how relationships are handled in Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate books, especially amongst the supporting cast. Cat and Bea (Spiritwalker Trilogy) and Joss and Marit (Crossroads Trilogy) from Kate Elliot's books are good too. Also Elfquest has a lot of good romantic partnerships in it.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 12:51:12 AM »

Romances I enjoyed:

Garion and Ce'Nedra  - The Belgariad, David Eddings.  That one goes way back to my teenage days, and will always have a soft spot in my heart.

Vanyel and Tylendel - Last Herald-Mage, Mercedes Lackey.  Another one from my long-distant youth that stuck with me and actually changed my perspective on certain social matters.

You and I have a couple in common there. With Ce'Nedra it could be because I've always thought she was the best character in the entire series and it would have been improved a lot if it had been told entirely from her point of view. The few scenes where things are looked at from her PoV are for me among the series' finest.

I'm going to throw Harry Dresden and Karrin Murphy in there.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Dan D Jones

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 03:23:46 PM »
Back at the original question....hmm, at the moment, I'm just all for healthy, perfectly consensual relationships with no abuse or rape-y overtones.

THIS. ALL OF IT.

So you really do want your fantasy to be fantasy and to divorce all associations with reality, huh?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 03:54:05 PM »
It's played for comedy, but I do mostly like how relationships are handled in Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate books

See, this is interesting. Parasol Protectorate is a series I felt would have been stronger if the romance had just been left out of it because I didn't care for how it was done.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline AshKB

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 08:47:46 PM »

THIS. ALL OF IT.

So you really do want your fantasy to be fantasy and to divorce all associations with reality, huh?

Would you care to rephrase that so I actually understand what you are saying? Because I'm reading one thing, and I'm sure you didn't mean it.
The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be lighted - Plutarch

I not only use all the brains I have, but all that I can borrow - Woodrow Wilson

Offline Yuan François

• Godling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 08:55:23 PM »

THIS. ALL OF IT.

Would you care to rephrase that so I actually understand what you are saying? Because I'm reading one thing, and I'm sure you didn't mean it.

I don't think he means what I thinks he means- That it should have aspects of realism and that abandoning romantic elements is unrealistic, or that an appreciation of the genre, devoid of that element,  is just an escape from reality?

If that's the case. I disagree. Romance is that extra ingredient, that is not loved by everyone, but loved my most people. You may even love it, but just need to take a break from it for a while(Like the extra cheese on the whopper =3), because of the effects it has on the plot and characterization of a novel.

'Fantasy is hardly an escape from reality. It's a way of understanding it.'

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 08:57:13 PM by Inextremis »