July 19, 2019, 09:47:44 AM

Author Topic: robin hobb  (Read 52351 times)

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: robin hobb
« Reply #165 on: February 16, 2015, 08:31:18 PM »
I would like to see those dots all linked up as well. Isn't the city that Fitz, Verity and crew all visited in Assassin's Quest Kelsingra? The city where the Rain Wilders and the dragons settle?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 16, 2015, 08:33:06 PM »
Yep, it definitely is - for example they mention the broken window in the map tower in one of the Rain Wilds books.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Annomander Matt

« Reply #167 on: February 17, 2015, 05:05:31 AM »
I'm hoping at some point Fitz needs to escape a dire situation and uses a Travel Stone to Kelsingra... and finds it inhabited with living Elderlings and dragons as opposed to memories!

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 17, 2015, 07:10:56 AM »
Yeah that'd be a cool way of doing it :D
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 17, 2015, 09:54:19 AM »
The timings intrigue me as well. We know the Farseer trilogy comes first and that there is just under 20 years between that trilogy and the Tawny Men. The Liveships is set in the period in between.  If I remember rightly the gap between Liveships and Rainwilds is not as big. A decade? But timing of the new trilogy is hard to place - as the events of the first book take place over several years. So I assume events in the six duckies are now a few years ahead of where we left.things in the Rain Wilds.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 17, 2015, 10:38:05 AM »
Yeah I think it's safe to assume it's a few years after the Rain Wilds books. It should be pretty easy to work out the timing of the new trilogy in terms of Fitz's chronology actually, based on...
Spoiler for Hiden:
the ages of Molly and Burrich's kids.
Might be worth creating a timeline with year zero = Fitz's birth - the Fitz books would be very easy to place, so it should give some pretty clear time ranges for Liveships and Rain Wilds.

I do wonder about the gap between Liveships and Rain Wilds now that you mention it, I always took it to be relatively small since
Spoiler for Hiden:
the dragons have barely changed at all in that time
- a couple of years at most. The problem there is how that ties in with the Tawny Man trilogy, since they'd be extremely close together...  :-\
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:55:54 AM by Raptori »

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 17, 2015, 10:48:06 AM »
Think we have entered spoiler territory.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Selden visits the six duchies in Golden Fool as an emissary for the dragon. In Fool's Fate obviously Tintalgia meets the dragon in the ice, who becomes her mate, and disappears. At which point Selden goes off on his own looking for her, only to be captured later in Chalced. So it does all tie in.  (And this is why people shouldn't read Tawny Men before Liveships.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 17, 2015, 10:55:28 AM »
Think we have entered spoiler territory.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Selden visits the six duchies in Golden Fool as an emissary for the dragon. In Fool's Fate obviously Tintalgia meets the dragon in the ice, who becomes her mate, and disappears. At which point Selden goes off on his own looking for her, only to be captured later in Chalced. So it does all tie in.  (And this is why people shouldn't read Tawny Men before Liveships.
Good point, spoilered out a couple of bits in my post!

Yeah that's right, I wonder if it mentions how old he is when he visits, since that'd be a very clear way of placing both Liveships and Rain Wilds in context. Yup, you definitely miss out on a lot of stuff if you ignore Liveships :)

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 17, 2015, 12:22:55 PM »
Well actually:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The beginning of Dragon Keeper has Thymara being taken to see the dragons hatched as an infant (so 5 or 6) which is just a few months after the ending of the Liveships Trilogy, and then she of course become a dragon keeper as a teenager (15 or 16) so I think we can confidently say the Rain Wilds novels take place a decade later.  And that makes sense as would be viable that Malta has been trying for about 10 years to get pregnant with no success.

What isn't clear is how long after the Farseer trilogy, that the Liveships are set.  I think they come closer to the Tawney Men events than the Farseer set of events.  When the retinue visits the six duchies (another reasons why people should read Liveships before Tawnymen) the war with Chalced seems very recent, the characters haven't aged much, and Bingtown is newly independent and looking for alliances.  Also the events of the Liveships Series adds real urgency to the Fool reuniting with Fitz, as the Fool realises events are centred around him,no one else.   I wonder if events from the Liveships took place at the furthest two years before, but might even have been mere months before Fool's Errand. 

In that case the Rainwilds novels take place again 7 - 9 years after Fool's Fate - which mean that Fitz is married with Molly and living a life of a gentleman.  But the first fateful failed visit from one of the Fool's messengers in Fool's Assassin takes places shorty after the dragons attack on Chalced.  And the kidnapping of his daughter 5 years after.... ?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 12:24:43 PM by Gariath »
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 17, 2015, 12:35:30 PM »
Well actually:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The beginning of Dragon Keeper has Thymara being taken to see the dragons hatched as an infant (so 5 or 6) which is just a few months after the ending of the Liveships Trilogy, and then she of course become a dragon keeper as a teenager (15 or 16) so I think we can confidently say the Rain Wilds novels take place a decade later.  And that makes sense as would be viable that Malta has been trying for about 10 years to get pregnant with no success.

What isn't clear is how long after the Farseer trilogy, that the Liveships are set.  I think they come closer to the Tawney Men events than the Farseer set of events.  When the retinue visits the six duchies (another reasons why people should read Liveships before Tawnymen) the war with Chalced seems very recent, the characters haven't aged much, and Bingtown is newly independent and looking for alliances.  Also the events of the Liveships Series adds real urgency to the Fool reuniting with Fitz, as the Fool realises events are centred around him,no one else.   I wonder if events from the Liveships took place at the furthest two years before, but might even have been mere months before Fool's Errand. 

In that case the Rainwilds novels take place again 7 - 9 years after Fool's Fate - which mean that Fitz is married with Molly and living a life of a gentleman.  But the first fateful failed visit from one of the Fool's messengers in Fool's Assassin takes places shorty after the dragons attack on Chalced.  And the kidnapping of his daughter 5 years after.... ?

Ahh true! Could do with reading them again to work it all out, can't quite remember the chronology to be honest.

Yeah it could definitely be a very short time period between those two series - though would that fit with how the Fool changes? I can't remember how big a difference there is between the two...

I don't remember the messengers having any specific times, must've missed/forgotten that. Sounds like a helpful marker for sure.

I'm tempted to skim-read through them all and note down anything time related... really don't have the time to do anything like that though  ;D

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 17, 2015, 12:47:43 PM »
Spoiler for Hiden:
I would need to reread to be certain but do remember Fitz talks about years passing after the first messenger, before Molly's  two year pregnancy, Molly's children getting married, and having their own children growing older, and of course the childhood of Bee and the sad death of Molly.

Which makes it all the more bizarre there isn't any discussion of dragons attacking Chalced!   (As this clearly would have taken place during those years. - I suspect quite early on. 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 17, 2015, 01:48:03 PM »
Spoiler for Hiden:
I would need to reread to be certain but do remember Fitz talks about years passing after the first messenger, before Molly's  two year pregnancy, Molly's children getting married, and having their own children growing older, and of course the childhood of Bee and the sad death of Molly.

Which makes it all the more bizarre there isn't any discussion of dragons attacking Chalced!   (As this clearly would have taken place during those years. - I suspect quite early on. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
Yeah I remember the discussion of years passing, but not anything about dragons attacking - unless it's mentioned somewhere, perhaps the new trilogy is taking place at roughly the same time as the Rain Wilds series? That would explain the lack of knock-on effects at least. I wonder if there's anything that would contradict that, Selden or Tintaglia's location perhaps... too many tiny details to take into account without reading the books again I guess. Maybe it's something someone can ask Hobb herself when she next does an AMA!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:06:35 PM by Raptori »

Offline Annomander Matt

« Reply #177 on: February 17, 2015, 03:59:43 PM »
Farseer starts with Fitz being 6 and ends with him being 20. 15 years pass before the beginning of the Tawny Man trilogy because the Prince is now 15 and Nettle is 16. I think only about 2 years at most pass from the beginning to the end of the Tawny man series.

As for Live ships, it took place in entirety between Farseer and Tawny, but at least half a dozen years after Farseer, maybe more. How long the fool lingered in Bingtown before meeting Fitz in the cabin I'm not sure.

At the beginning of Dragon Keeper the Independent Alliance of Traders is formed since the dating goes from "Year the 6th of the Reign of Satrap Cosgo" to " Year the 7th of Csogo/Year the First of the Alliance". By the end of Blood of Dragons they are are in year the 7th of the Alliance. The dragons were born in year one so they are 7 at the end of Rain Wilds.
We know Tintaglia finds Icefyre about halfway through RW, and Tawny takes place during the beginning half of RW.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 17, 2015, 04:16:21 PM »
Farseer starts with Fitz being 6 and ends with him being 20. 15 years pass before the beginning of the Tawny Man trilogy because the Prince is now 15 and Nettle is 16. I think only about 2 years at most pass from the beginning to the end of the Tawny man series.

As for Live ships, it took place in entirety between Farseer and Tawny, but at least half a dozen years after Farseer, maybe more. How long the fool lingered in Bingtown before meeting Fitz in the cabin I'm not sure.

At the beginning of Dragon Keeper the Independent Alliance of Traders is formed since the dating goes from "Year the 6th of the Reign of Satrap Cosgo" to " Year the 7th of Csogo/Year the First of the Alliance". By the end of Blood of Dragons they are are in year the 7th of the Alliance. The dragons were born in year one so they are 7 at the end of Rain Wilds.
We know Tintaglia finds Icefyre about halfway through RW, and Tawny takes place during the beginning half of RW.
That looks perfect to me, can't remember anything that would conflict with that at all. Completely forgot about the dates being marked in the RW books, they're a huge help. Now all we need is to find the chronology-related statements in Fool's Assassin and we should be able to combine the two timelines - I'm pretty sure Fitz and Molly's ages are specifically mentioned, and possibly Nettle's as well.  :D

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 17, 2015, 04:19:20 PM »

Much more precise than me. Well done. Forgotten about the dating on the pigeon letters! But I d still place events of Liveships closer to Tawney Men than Farseer. Also Tintalgia meets Icefyre in between the eggs hatching and the RW council deciding to move the Dragon infants on -hence why they decide to move on as they haven't seen Tintalgia for a few years. But otherwise thanks. That was really helpful.
The Real Powers That Be