October 21, 2020, 10:43:53 PM

Author Topic: Reddit top fantasy novels  (Read 844 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
Reddit top fantasy novels
« on: June 02, 2020, 11:54:54 AM »
Reddit top fantasy novels 2019:
https://www.listchallenges.com/rfantasy-2019-top-novels

How many have you read?

@Peat, here it is!

I've read 51 (including series I haven't finished) and, wow, some really strayand weird names on that list :o
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 01:02:10 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline isos81

Re: Reddit too fantasy novels
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 11:56:03 AM »
27 including DNF series. I'm way behind you :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Peat

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 12:25:34 PM »
Thanks Bea!

Including DNFs I'm at 67, which seems respectable, particularly considering the amount of Sci-Fi that I'm not interested in that's strewn in. It's a very idiosyncratic list, that's for sure, although I do like there's a few web-serials and the like on there.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Cherie

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 12:51:47 PM »
I think I must have missed some the last time, as I've got 60 this time around! I know there's two that I selected that I didn't before, because I read them many years ago, when was in my early teens.

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
Re: Reddit top fantasy novels
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 01:13:09 PM »
Read 60, though a fair few I didn't enjoy or carry on with the series.

Seem to be a fair bit of webseries and fan work there. I wouldn't count some of these as novels, but I suppose they're bound to crop up in internet community based lists like this. Makes me wonder what a list made by physical book shoppers would look like.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Skip

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 04:33:59 PM »
Thirty-eight. But what a goofy list. The Foundation trilogy is not fantasy, nor are several other books there. And if we're going to include SF, then a whole bunch of books got left out. It also skews very modern, leaving out some classics. *shrug* whaddyagonnado
Visit Altearth

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 01:21:18 AM »
I got 86, including DNFs, which is mostly a sign of a well-spent youth - so many of those were books I picked up when I was a teenager and attempting to read absolutely everything on my library's list of fantasy. (A list that included a now-surprising amount of US-only publications for a small town in Australia.)

Does anyone know how this list was put together? Voted from the r/fantasy community? That might explain some of the bizarre inclusions.

Offline Bender

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 03:03:23 AM »
Does anyone know how this list was put together? Voted from the r/fantasy community? That might explain some of the bizarre inclusions.

The first line on the link says:

R/Fantasy 2019 Top Novels
r/Fantasy 2019 top novels list is a list of the top fantasy novels according to r/Fantasy.
 4,267 users · 11,220 views

from reddit.com · made by Chris Decker

;D
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 08:38:08 AM »
28 including DNFs. It's a pretty typical list, I guess, what with most of the books I've heard of or in my tbr pile already too.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 01:45:42 PM »
Yes, it was an open vote, I think. I seem to remember that you get to nominate ten books and the results are a count of the total nominations. I'm not sure; I've never taken part myself. I think the results on r/fantasy include the number of votes, so it's probably possible to check how few people needed to mention something for it to get on the list.

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 02:49:24 PM »
I read 70 of 147 on that list some were DNF through.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 05:47:42 PM »
Whoops lol

To be fair though, I've ticked series where I only read the first, or didn't finish (only read up to book 8 or 9 of wheel of time, etc) and clicked on a couple I DNFed too.

Dang it Eclipse, Cupiscent! Got to work on it to catch up! Though some I'll never read because I just know I find them trash... Some I own but haven't got around to. I'm pleased to see Sunshine in the list... There are a few I planned on reading, so it's a good reminder/kick in the butt.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 05:50:55 PM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 03:56:06 AM »
Dang it Eclipse, Cupiscent! Got to work on it to catch up! Though some I'll never read because I just know I find them trash... Some I own but haven't got around to.
LOL  8) But that's a very good point about not reading now because you know you won't like it - a lot of the books on that list, and a lot of other "classics"*, were books I read when I was still a teenager and figuring out what I liked or didn't like, or just before I realised I was "allowed" to DNF a book.

* Also a lot of not-classics. I remember struggling through at least one Hugh Cook book, of which there were, I think... 10? And my library had them all. Does anyone even remember his name these days? Though I just looked him up on wikipedia and apparently his series pitch involved twenty books in the first cycle, to be followed by another two cycles of twenty books each. Sixty books, no wuckers! oh my god.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 08:24:32 PM »
Hah, @Nora. ;D

62 of 147  ·  42%
You did better than 96% of users on this list
Your rank: #178 of 4.687 users on this list
You beat the avg. score of 27

But I too included series I didn't finish.
Not sure if I like the way this was done. For example that Discworld is one entry but there are multiple books by other authors....
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 09:12:27 PM »
Hah, @Nora. ;D

62 of 147  ·  42%
You did better than 96% of users on this list
Your rank: #178 of 4.687 users on this list
You beat the avg. score of 27

But I too included series I didn't finish.
Not sure if I like the way this was done. For example that Discworld is one entry but there are multiple books by other authors....

Yes, I wouldn't take this too seriously. It'd be best if only the first book in each series was represented. it'd change nothing really, since we all voted for series we tried but didn't finish.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty