August 13, 2020, 09:19:20 AM

Author Topic: Reddit's top 105 fantasy series - how many have you read?  (Read 11493 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
Re: Reddit's top 105 fantasy series - how many have you read?
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2015, 12:34:51 PM »
If you look at the original voting, quite a lot of the books only had single-figure numbers, with several making the list on just 2 votes. For all that, it's not a terrible list. It includes some flavour-of-the-month fan favourites and some stuff that doesn't seem to belong, but it's hard to come up with really major series that are missing.

Then again, I tend to have a problem where I only really remember the stuff that's always being mentioned.

Edit: I have just now noticed that Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser are missing, for instance.

MIA:
Chronicles of Prydain, by Lloyd Alexander (won the Newberry)
Deryni Chronicles
Yeah, totally heard of those.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2015, 01:50:16 PM »
Oddly enough I just bought Deryni Rising about a week ago, and hope to get to it soon. I don't really know anything about the Lloyd Alexander.

A couple more I've thought of, which I think are important if not actually good:

Shannara - I gave it up after Sword, but it's popular and influential and seems a surprising absence.
Icewind Dale - I've never read them, but I think they're another significant gateway drug.

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2015, 02:02:41 PM »
I've heard of Deryni Rising not heard of Chronicles of Prydain through

Ivewind dale is Forgotten Realms like Dragonlance it got me into reading fantasy, I probably wouldn't enjoy them as much now if I read them today. My favourite author was Roger.E Moore he only seemed to do short stories through.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 02:06:09 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2015, 03:14:58 PM »

Ivewind dale is Forgotten Realms like Dragonlance it got me into reading fantasy, I probably wouldn't enjoy them as much now if I read them today. My favourite author was Roger.E Moore he only seemed to do short stories through.

right?!?  i'm terrified to go back and re-read icewind dale and dragonlance.  they were AMAZING.

they completely set me on my current path and everything.  well, those two series, savage sword of conan magazines, and garfield (yeah, the cat.  no, not kidding.) have probably been the biggest influences on my adult creative career.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2015, 10:52:11 PM »

Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander is a children's classic (Disney made The Black Cauldron from them, although that's an awful adaptation), it was inspired by the Mabinogion, although it's not a retelling.
When we're talking about books beloved by younger readers Alan Garner's work didn't get a mention either. I suspect it's due to their age, same with Fafrhd and the Grey Mouser, I also can't remember seeing any Moorcock there. It's a sad reality of the current age of fantasy that there's so much shiny and new stuff out there that we often forget what came before.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Ben

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2015, 02:17:26 AM »
31 for this guy.

Offline DDRRead

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2015, 11:12:46 AM »
42 if I count all the ones I've dipped into. Plenty on my TBR pile including some classics. My count is high because they have a lot of Abercrombie, Hobb, and GGK on the list.

Offline Elvraie

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2015, 01:08:19 PM »

More importantly what is missing!?

I'd say Wars of Light and Shadow by Janny Wurts could do with a nod among some others.

I've read around 20 or 25 on the list. Some in the list I think are quite unkown (The Fantom Tollbooth, War for the Oaks) and of discutable merits (The Sword of Truth, The Redemption of Athalus), in my opinion and they have omitted The Birthgrave and the Tale of the Flat Earth by Tanith Lee, both masterpieces.
We sometimes reward writers for their work. Why we never punish them?
Jules Romain

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2015, 01:19:07 PM »
When we're talking about books beloved by younger readers Alan Garner's work didn't get a mention either. I suspect it's due to their age, same with Fafrhd and the Grey Mouser, I also can't remember seeing any Moorcock there. It's a sad reality of the current age of fantasy that there's so much shiny and new stuff out there that we often forget what came before.
Alan Garner was another one I thought of, but I figure there's quite a lot of children's fantasy out there, and it's quite hard to know where to draw the line.

Elric was in the list for Moorcock, I seem to remember.

I'm currently engaged in an exercise to read an SF book published in every year from 1950-1999, based on a set of nice historical overviews compiled by James Wallace Harris ( http://auxiliarymemory.com/2013/04/04/the-defining-science-fiction-books-of-1950s/ ), and I'd love it if there was something similar for fantasy.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2015, 01:39:05 PM »
I'm currently engaged in an exercise to read an SF book published in every year from 1950-1999, based on a set of nice historical overviews compiled by James Wallace Harris ( http://auxiliarymemory.com/2013/04/04/the-defining-science-fiction-books-of-1950s/ ), and I'd love it if there was something similar for fantasy.

What a great site. Just scanning the 1950s page, I've read a number of the books mentioned, though by no means a majority.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2015, 02:02:53 PM »

More importantly what is missing!?

I'd say Wars of Light and Shadow by Janny Wurts could do with a nod among some others.

I've read around 20 or 25 on the list. Some in the list I think are quite unkown (The Fantom Tollbooth, War for the Oaks) and of discutable merits (The Sword of Truth, The Redemption of Athalus), in my opinion and they have omitted The Birthgrave and the Tale of the Flat Earth by Tanith Lee, both masterpieces.
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster is another children's classic, it was also made into an animated film by Chuck Jones. The author wasn't happy with it, and it didn't do that well at the box office, although it did get fairly good reviews. I saw it before reading the book and really liked it, well enough to find the book anyway. It still regularly appears on recommended reading lists for children and has even been referenced on recent shows like Parks and Recreation and New Girl, so I don't think it's really that unknown.
I do have to agree about The Redemption of Althalus, one of the worst books I've read.
You have to remember that this is a popular list, and they're always quite subjective. Two people could do a list of their 'best' novels and come up with two very different lists, because it's dependent on personal taste.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline jefGoelz

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2015, 03:49:22 AM »
40, but for some of the series I only read a single novel.

Offline Corvus

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2015, 06:57:11 AM »
I come in at around 28 that I've read or mostly read - there are a number of series that I haven't finished yet.  Maybe some day I will.
The Lands of Mist and Shadows - http://mistandshadows.com/
Tales from a Thousand Worlds - http://talesfromathousandworlds.com/

Offline madfox11

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2015, 09:14:01 AM »
22, although admittedly, I have not read all Discworld books and I never finished the last part of the Mistborn series (I got halfway before getting fed up with it, flipping to the epilogue and got even more fed up with it). Definitely books/series in there that I would not put in the top 100 list.

Offline Jeni

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2016, 11:53:04 PM »
Love a list   :)

26 completed, another 18 started (only read first one or two in series so far),  and a further 17 ready to be picked off mount tbr  :D