November 18, 2019, 04:44:42 AM

Author Topic: Recommendations?  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Recommendations?
« on: December 10, 2014, 02:00:46 PM »
Hi, I've been lurking on the site for a few weeks now, only just signed up. People seem to give some pretty good recommendations here, so I thought I should ask, particularly because we're about to buy some brand new shelves and need new books to fill them!

Generally what I'm looking for is very high quality fantasy set outside the medieval Europe cliché, without the traditional binary good/evil dichotomy, but without the over-done "gritty"/"dark" stuff like rape, sex and torture that seems pretty common these days. Examples that really hit the spot for me are the Long Price Quartet and most of Brandon Sanderson's cosmere.

My favourite fantasy series in no particular order:
Long Price Quartet
Realm of the Elderlings (Liveships in particular)
Cosmere (Emperor's Soul)
Riyria Revelations
His Dark Materials

Others that I liked:
Old Kingdom Trilogy
Alvin Maker

Thanks in advance!  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 05:04:37 PM »
Welcome!
The qualification of
high quality
will be entirely up to you and your tastes, hehe, but for

fantasy set outside the medieval Europe cliché, without the traditional binary good/evil dichotomy, but without the over-done "gritty"/"dark" stuff like rape, sex and torture
I suggest:

* Anne Lyle's trilogy, starting with Alchemist of souls - not medieval, rather later in the historical period
* William Horwood's Hyddenworld collection (4 books), starting with the book of the same name
and if you like Sanderson, then I suggest Brent Weeks, who for me writes stories as exciting but with slightly better quality and depth (in my opinion)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 06:57:45 PM »
Maybe give Glenda Larke's The Last Stormlord a try. It's set in a desert society, not a Medieval Europe analogue. The general reviews on it are mixed, but I loved it.

If you like Sanderson, you might also enjoy Weeks, as mentioned above. His Lightbringer series, starting with The Black Prism, has a non-Medieval setting. It's a gunpowder fantasy.

Along the lines of gunpowder fantasy, I'd also suggest Brian McClellan and Django Wexler. McClellan was actually a student of Sanderson's, and you can see the influence in his work (and that's a good thing).

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 11:21:50 PM »
If you enjoyed The Long Price Quartet, I'd recommend Daniel Abraham's current series The Dagger and the Coin, one if the best epic series currently in progress. They're played for laughs to an extent, but Barry Hughart's Master Li and Number Ten Ox books are set in ancient China and are wonderful. Saladin Ahmed's The Throne of the Crescent Moon is an Arabian Nights style urban fantasy. I'd also recommend checking out Kameron Hurley's The Mirror Empire, which is something that may influence how epic fantasy is done from now on and for me marks a significant shift in the sub genre.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 01:56:18 AM »
@Raptori, I too love non-Euro-medieval fantasy settings, and plots based on intricacy, and I thought Dan Abraham's Long Price was amazing. I second the recommendation for his Dagger and Coin series. It is a lot more "Euro", but it's concentrating more on a later, Renaissance-y period, with banking sitting as a central force in the story, and it's just as intricate and riveting.

Perhaps also consider:
 - Megan Whalen Turner's Queen's Thief series (starting with The Thief) can seem like it's for younger readers, but it has a subtlety and intricacy to its characters and their sharp-edged interactions that makes it an outstanding read. The setting is an alterni-fantasy ancient(ish?) Greece.
 - NK Jemisin's Killing Moon (and its sequel The Shadowed Sun) is set in an alterni-fantasy ancient Egypt, with ninja dreampriest assassins and wonderful relationships between fascinating characters.
 - Amanda Downum's Necromancer chronicles, starting with The Drowning City (though my favourite is the second book, The Bone Palace), take place across a variety of diverse settings (tropical jungle and desert), with diverse and complex characters, some of whom go from antagonists to allies (and vice versa) over the course of the series.
 - Max Gladstone's Craft Sequence, starting with Three Parts Dead, is set in a modern-day alternative earth where mankind went to war with the gods. Soul is currency and law is sorcery and it's all mind-blowingly great. Also with wonderful diversity in the characters!

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 09:10:37 PM »
Thanks everyone, loads of stuff for me to go read, some of it sounds exactly what I'm looking for. Really appreciate it! :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.