September 21, 2020, 05:16:10 PM

Author Topic: Recommend book with group dynamic  (Read 4872 times)

Offline Brother of the Sixth Order

• Godling
  • Cleverness..to be able to remember to tell a story
    • The Grim Dark Files
Re: Recommend book with group dynamic
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 07:04:22 PM »
The Mistborn trilogy is a great series with a group dynamic,
There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man

Offline Luke Matthews

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 12:30:18 AM »
The First Law books by Joe Abercrombie have a great group dynamic. You see the story from multiple perspective and the group continually splits and reforms and shifts throughout the trilogy.

I'll throw my hat into the ring of recommendations for Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards series. The books do follow the primary protagonist for the most part, but you do get to see things from other characters' points of view as well.

Although not fantasy, I'd also recommend the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.
CONSTRUCT, Book I of The Chronicler Saga, is available now on Amazon, B&N, Kobo, and iBooks.

Check it out at ChroniclerSaga.com!

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
Re: Re: AW: Re: Recommend book with group dynamic
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2020, 11:18:13 AM »
Some really good recommendations here. Traitors Blade was really fun, but only one perspective. One I haven't seen mentioned:

Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding would be an excellent choice. Really great group dynamics with the crew of the Ketty Jay
second this! No idea why I didn't think of it before. :)
Thirding. Adore that series a ridiculous amount. :)

Forthing
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2020, 02:21:02 PM »
Considering that this thread was started over 6 years ago I’m hoping that the OP found what they were looking for. On the chance that they didn’t or that of course others are looking for books with this, I’ll throw a couple in the ring for consideration. The Band series by Nicholas Eames, 2 books so far (Kings of the Wyld and Bloody Rose) and Jon Hollins’ Dragon Lords series. Some of the Dresden Files do it too, as the books now have a cast of thousands for Harry to bounce off.

Offline Bender

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2020, 02:32:52 PM »
Paternus, Orconomics and Even Book of Ancestors (Gray and Holy Sister at least) have good team dynamics.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2020, 12:22:00 AM »
I'm rewatching Leverage right now, and thinking a lot as I go about the great strengths in group dynamics that are exhibited in that show - not just the synergy of the whole team, but each character having relationships with the others that are nuanced and developed and shifting. A great group dynamic requires a lot of space to really do proper justice to.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2020, 04:47:23 AM »
Definitely the first book of the Gentlemen Bastards for sure, but after that it's more like a duo thing.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2020, 05:37:25 AM »
They're pretty old and not all that well regarded these days, but most of the Eddings' books had this, as did Terry Brooks' The Sword of Shannara for all of it's LotR similarities. Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's Dragonlance books were also the band of adventurers up against a dark power type thing.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Bender

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2020, 12:41:09 PM »
I'm rewatching Leverage right now, and thinking a lot as I go about the great strengths in group dynamics that are exhibited in that show - not just the synergy of the whole team, but each character having relationships with the others that are nuanced and developed and shifting. A great group dynamic requires a lot of space to really do proper justice to.

That's a great show. It was a phase, Leverage, Burn Notice, White Collar, Psych.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2020, 04:11:44 AM »

That's a great show. It was a phase, Leverage, Burn Notice, White Collar, Psych.

I used to watch Leverage, White Collar, and Psych. Leverage is definitely my favorite, though.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2020, 05:40:14 AM »

I used to watch Leverage, White Collar, and Psych. Leverage is definitely my favorite, though.
Burn Notice was my favourite of those. Next to Leverage it came the closest to having a genuine group dynamic. Pysch and White Collar were more duo type situations.  Whereas in Burn Notice Michael had a number of people he could and did work with closely. As an aside to Inky, if you like Dresden, then you'd probably enjoy Burn Notice, no magic, but lots of P.I type shenanigans.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2020, 06:03:26 AM »
Burn Notice was my favourite of those. Next to Leverage it came the closest to having a genuine group dynamic. Pysch and White Collar were more duo type situations.  Whereas in Burn Notice Michael had a number of people he could and did work with closely. As an aside to Inky, if you like Dresden, then you'd probably enjoy Burn Notice, no magic, but lots of P.I type shenanigans.

Now, I love Burn Notice, I found it hilariously good fun and I have loved Gabriel Anwar since The Three Musketeers. But I don't think it was a group dynamic. Lots of characters had relationships with Michael, but their relationships with each other weren't so developed. (Then again, I think I only watched two series of it, so perhaps I missed later development!) Whereas Leverage develops the relationships of all characters with all others, and looks at how shifts or pressures on one impact the whole group.

Online Peat

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2020, 02:03:21 PM »
White Collar is pretty awesome, but I agree it's not a group dynamic. And I like cupiscent's point about group dynamics at their purest requiring every member of the group having their own dynamic with every other member. To use an example...

They're pretty old and not all that well regarded these days, but most of the Eddings' books had this, as did Terry Brooks' The Sword of Shannara for all of it's LotR similarities. Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's Dragonlance books were also the band of adventurers up against a dark power type thing.

In the Belgariad, what Silk thinks of Hettar and what Hettar thinks of Mandorallen just doesn't really matter. They're there for their relationship with Garion. Sword of Shannara is in a similar position.

But what Dragonlance does well is that everyone has a different relationship with Raistlin. Everyone has a different relationship with Tanis, everyone with Sturm... the group feels alive. I don't have a lot of time for that series but I do admire what they did there.

And I'm trying to think of something more modern that did that an am coming up short a little. I guess Kings of the Wyld, but I don't think it really runs as far as it could for want of space. I suspect if I kept up with Jen Williams' series, I'd have a good example.

My only personal choice would be some of the Discworlds - Pratchett did it rather well with the Witches, and even better with the City Watch.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2020, 12:57:59 AM »
My only personal choice would be some of the Discworlds - Pratchett did it rather well with the Witches, and even better with the City Watch.

I think this is a great example, yes, especially in the later Watch books, where Vimes is still a focus, but there are lots of relationships/character arcs going on without him at the centre. I'm thinking specifically of Cherry, Angua and Carrot - Cherry and Carrot as "dwarves", Cherry and Angua as women, Angua and Carrot as a romantic relationship, and none of it directly related to Vimes. (Though Colon and Nobby never quite fit into that group dynamic, they're always sort of their own little bubble.)

Online Peat

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2020, 01:24:27 AM »

I think this is a great example, yes, especially in the later Watch books, where Vimes is still a focus, but there are lots of relationships/character arcs going on without him at the centre. I'm thinking specifically of Cherry, Angua and Carrot - Cherry and Carrot as "dwarves", Cherry and Angua as women, Angua and Carrot as a romantic relationship, and none of it directly related to Vimes. (Though Colon and Nobby never quite fit into that group dynamic, they're always sort of their own little bubble.)

Yasss.

Although even with Carrot and Angua - iirc sometimes you'll see her suggest something but Vimes wouldn't do it, so Carrot wouldn't; and I think there's other times where their relationship with Vimes bleeds through (particularly since Carrot and Angua personify elements of Vimes personality - Carrot his sense of duty, Angua his cynicism).

It even filters down to the minor characters - nobody is Visit's best friend, but he gets on Reg Shoe's nerves most. And even with Colon and Nobbs - there's a sort of friendship between Nobbs and Angua. Colon's closer with Carrot, who at least fits his idea of what an officer should be like.

I almost want to draw a diagram now.

Btw, have I ever shown you the feminist critiques of Pratchett's character development?
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/