August 25, 2019, 05:04:01 PM

Author Topic: Really quick book advice needed  (Read 239 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Really quick book advice needed
« on: July 22, 2019, 06:02:09 AM »
Hello folks, I've got a promo code for my usual online bookstore that lasted only until 24 of this month (2 more days), so I need some really quick suggestions on what should I get. I'm planning to order Retribution Falls (Ketty Jay #1), One Word Kill by Mark Lawrence, and one another book, but I had a real hard time deciding what it should be from a pretty big list. Here goes:

1. Priest of Bones by Peter Mclean
2. Blackwings by Ed Mcdonald
3. The Painted Man by Peter V. Brett
4. Greatcoats by Sebastian De Castell
5. Copper Cat by Jen Williams
6.  The Tower of Living and Dying by Ana Smith Sparks?

To be frank, I actually had a habit of DNF'ing a lot of grimdark that didn't suit my taste, which could really vary from time to time. I like the Broken Empire but not Promise of Blood. I immensely doesn't like Godblind. I don't really like the Grimdark parts in Night's Angel trilogy and only finished it due to the action. I'm alright with ASOIF and Blood Song. I love the Gentlemen Bastards. I DNF'd Senlin Ascends. I'm kind of moderate with Court of Broken Knives. I kind of like the Riyria series, but the ponderous writing sometimes almost put me to sleep and I had to skipped almost half of the first book to finish it.

From these preferences which book from the list should I choose? I have already DNF'd a lot of books and each time that became quite a waste of money since I prefer paper copies. Thank you so much for the assistance! 

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: Really quick book advice needed
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 06:20:06 AM »
I go for 7. The Amulet of Samarkand
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Matthew

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 06:58:34 AM »
I've been meaning to read blackwings and the copper cat myself but I have read Greatcoats and quite enjoyed it. I was always fond of the three musketeers and it has that sort of vibe (except with low magic and some grit).

I will say, Tales of the Ketty Jay that's already on your list... woooo. Love that series and it doesn't get enough attention.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 07:52:22 AM »
Inky, definitely get Jen's books :D

I fear that Blackwing would be a little too grimdark for you, and even more Anna's series.
The Greatcoats series is very fun at first, but it goes a bit serious and difficult in book 3.
And Painted Man is good, but the series as a whole (the 5 books) not so much - you still should read them, just some day in the future.

(note, my comments are directly linked to what I know of you, rather to my specific experience of the books)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 07:56:34 AM »
Copper Cat is really fun, if you get it, you’ll be hard pressed not to get the other 2 in the series.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline isos81

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 07:57:28 AM »
3. The Painted Man by Peter V. Brett

I've only read this book in your list and I loved it. Of course there were ups and downs but I never got bored while reading it. Check other comments on the books and decide based on your preferences. It is really hard to choose a book nowadays :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 07:57:57 AM »
Copper Cat is really fun, if you get it, you’ll be hard pressed not to get the other 2 in the series.
Seconded.
And get her other published series very soon too ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 08:22:36 AM »
Inky, definitely get Jen's books :D

I fear that Blackwing would be a little too grimdark for you, and even more Anna's series.
The Greatcoats series is very fun at first, but it goes a bit serious and difficult in book 3.
And Painted Man is good, but the series as a whole (the 5 books) not so much - you still should read them, just some day in the future.

(note, my comments are directly linked to what I know of you, rather to my specific experience of the books)

This is definitely  the kind of advice I'm looking for, the advice itself based on my preferences. Thank you so so much Scarlet!  :D :D

And alrighty, in the end I went and ordered the first book of the Copper cat along with the other books. Thank you so much everyone!

Offline isos81

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 09:03:26 AM »
Copper Cat is in my TBR list. Let us know what you think about the books after you finish them :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 01:12:50 PM by isos81 »
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 11:07:06 AM »
Copper Cat is in my TBR list. Let us know that you think about the books after you finish them :)

Sure thing! I can't even remember most of the books in my TBR, hahah.  ;D

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 04:17:25 PM »
Is it to late to say Copper Cat? ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)