April 10, 2020, 04:20:22 AM

Author Topic: Reading SFF is escapism  (Read 744 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: Reading SFF is escapism
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 10:46:04 PM »
I certainly read SFF becauce I need a little of the Fantastical in my life and I will accept that as escapism, now those who watch end to end soap operas, play RPG's, read lifestyle magazines or who support teams should probably own up as well. Having something that takes you out the mundane isn't a bad thing.

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2020, 08:16:47 AM »
For me... eh... kind of.

Escapism certainly isn't the main reason I read or write. I prefer fiction to be a reflection of the real world than an escape from it. I feel like the purpose of art should be to try and motivate us to deal with the world's problems, as well as to entertain...

But, I would be lying if I said a lot of what I seek out to read and write wasn't a thinly veiled attempt to read about corrupt government figures and others getting knocked off their pedestals. It's not so much that I want to escape to a better world, rather I want to see a world just as bad or worse where things are still put right to an extent.

Although real life hasn't had all that much in the way of cool monsters for the last few million years, so that also plays a part.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2020, 11:21:52 PM »
But, I would be lying if I said a lot of what I seek out to read and write wasn't a thinly veiled attempt to read about corrupt government figures and others getting knocked off their pedestals. It's not so much that I want to escape to a better world, rather I want to see a world just as bad or worse where things are still put right to an extent.

May I suggest Iain Banks  book Complicity to you?

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 05:53:45 PM »

May I suggest Iain Banks  book Complicity to you?

My TBR pile is a little large right now, but when it is smaller I shall be sure to check it out! Thanks!