October 25, 2020, 02:52:57 AM

Author Topic: Moving House - how to move books!  (Read 7263 times)

Offline Cherie

Moving House - how to move books!
« on: January 28, 2020, 10:51:32 PM »
I may have to pare down my library some before moving house.

Or I could be selfish and move them all. Does anyone have an educated guess on how many boxes I'll need for just under books, (6.5 Billy bookcases worth) roughly 46/54 paperbacks to hardbacks. It's a good job I'll have help ...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 03:22:16 PM by ScarletBea »

Offline Bender

Re: Re: Miscellaneous Musings about Books
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 11:02:23 PM »
A lot?  ;)

You really can't stuff it all in else it'd be too difficult to move and would rip bottoms off. I'd say about 15-20 medium boxes.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Peat

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 11:04:44 PM »
I may have to pare down my library some before moving house.

Or I could be selfish and move them all. Does anyone have an educated guess on how many boxes I'll need for just under books, (6.5 Billy bookcases worth) roughly 46/54 paperbacks to hardbacks. It's a good job I'll have help ...

Depends how strong the person moving them is. About 40/50 paperbacks was the amount I'd put in a box before remembering I had to pick the damn thing up. I dunno how much on a billy bookcase tho.

I gave away a lot of books when moving out from my parents. Like... I kinda feel a little down thinking about it. But then I'm probably emigrating relatively soon in my life, and that's a complete killer. If you're going to move, and then not move much for a while, keep your books.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Cherie

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 11:27:44 PM »
A lot?  ;)

You really can't stuff it all in else it'd be too difficult to move and would rip bottoms off. I'd say about 15-20 medium boxes.
A lot is as far as I've got!

When we moved in here, I had 13 archive boxes, of mostly paperbacks. That filled 2 and a bit bookcases (had to buy a 3rd). I've doubled the bookcases, and have more hardbacks and slipcased editions now. This is going to take some organising!

Depends how strong the person moving them is. About 40/50 paperbacks was the amount I'd put in a box before remembering I had to pick the damn thing up. I dunno how much on a billy bookcase tho.

I gave away a lot of books when moving out from my parents. Like... I kinda feel a little down thinking about it. But then I'm probably emigrating relatively soon in my life, and that's a complete killer. If you're going to move, and then not move much for a while, keep your books.
Lots of small boxes. It's the number to get that I'm struggling on. IKEA do some small boxes, with a double layered bottom that should be good.

I'll have 2 people helping the move at least, one I know is pretty strong, provided his back doesn't go, and his gf should be strong - she plays rugby.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 07:38:57 PM by Cherie »

Offline Peat

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 11:42:33 PM »
His back's gonna go. Trust me on this.

How are you moving? If you're renting a van, getting a driver who can help isn't much more.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline isos81

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 06:55:22 AM »
That's hell lot of books Cherie :) I used to do the same but then I bought ebook reader and all my problems were solved in an instant :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 07:56:44 AM »
Cherie, that's amazing :D :D :D
Sorry you're having to move from that, hope you manage to replicate it somehow in your new place.

I kept all my books when I moved, I used a removal company.
I probably had around 400?
Not sorry, they managed 8)

I bought some proper removal cardboard boxes and they were fine (I think on the site it said they were good for books, hehe)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Cherie

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 10:26:44 AM »
That's hell lot of books Cherie :) I used to do the same but then I bought ebook reader and all my problems were solved in an instant :)
Oh I have my kindle as well, so it's not as bad as it could be!

Cherie, that's amazing :D :D :D
Sorry you're having to move from that, hope you manage to replicate it somehow in your new place.

I kept all my books when I moved, I used a removal company.
I probably had around 400?
Not sorry, they managed 8)

I bought some proper removal cardboard boxes and they were fine (I think on the site it said they were good for books, hehe)
I hope I can too. Given the choice I wouldn't be moving, but well, I haven't been given a say in the matter.

I'm not likely to be moving far, so if I can get away with just hiring a 3.5T van, then I'll do that. It's what we did to move here, and with an extra pair of hands we were fine. I might even be able to rope even some of the lads from work as well. There are plans to put quite a lot into storage once everything is near to the end, so it won't be absolutely everything on the day.

We just need someone to buy this house, then I can find a new one, and get planning and packing.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 01:23:48 PM »
I underestimated the weight of books when I last moved, and tried to use boxes that were much too big. I ended up having to take books out and pad them with lighter stuff (which is how my old big-box PC games managed to survive the move). If I moved again I think I'd get rid of most of them. I almost never re-read anything, and quite a lot of my books have become sun-damaged. The ones on the front row, at least.

Honestly, I've been trying to slim down the collection over the last few years, but one or two books to charity every few weeks doesn't go very far. Not when I come back with more some of the time.

Offline Cherie

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 02:28:42 PM »
Even the archive boxes I used last time were a bit big for the weight of the books in them. I had to reinforce most with packing tape. I've come across these in Ikea, which look to be a good size for books, I may end up with lots of them, but at least they will be easy to carry.

Last move: 13 boxes, 500 or so books, and 1/3 of the shelves I have now.

I'm not really looking forward to moving them all!

Offline Bender

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 03:07:13 PM »
See if you can hire a couple of poly box trucks. Dump all in, wheel it to next place and unload directly. Saves a bunch of effort. Moving companies usually have some for hire.

"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 03:18:22 PM »
I got boxes from this company https://www.removalboxes2u.co.uk/

Medium Removal box (book) 18" x 12" x 12" Pack of 10, £16.50
Large Removal box 18" x 18" x 12" Pack of 10, £19.99

(prices 2 years ago)

They were strong enough for books, looking at the Ikea ones, they seem to be light (they mention 'paper', not really 'books'/heavies)

EDIT: I've split these posts from the other place, as I think this deserves its own thread - you're not the first to ask, you won't be last ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 03:23:02 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Cherie

Re: Moving House - how to move books!
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 05:07:27 PM »
I've had a look at the Ikea ones in person, they are quite small, so I would only be able to fit maybe 3 of my larger Folio books in at a time, and the base is a double layer. They're heavy books, so I wouldn't want to carry more than that at once anyway. Regardless, for £1 each, I can grab a few, and can always use them for something else if they don't get used for books.

EDIT: I've split these posts from the other place, as I think this deserves its own thread - you're not the first to ask, you won't be last ;D
That was a good idea!

That's not a bad idea @Bender, but we're probably not going to use a removal company. We're too stubborn and stubbornly independent!

Offline Bender

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2020, 05:28:47 PM »
but we're probably not going to use a removal company.

I meant try hiring the wheeled boxes from removal company, not hire the company themselves.  ;)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 08:04:27 PM »
I can absolutely recommend those banana cardboard boxes. They hold 17kg of bananas usually and are strong enough for heavy books and have a handy size.
Last time we moved we had about 150 banana boxes (just ask your local super market to save them for you). If you fill them completely with books they're heavy but manageable but it's better to fill them up with pillows, clothes, etc.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)