July 06, 2020, 02:08:12 PM

Author Topic: Prince of Thorns - Book Discussion (SPOILERS)  (Read 4458 times)

Online xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: Prince of Thorns - Book Discussion (SPOILERS)
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2015, 07:31:26 PM »
I don't think Jorg is "good at everything he does". It's his ruthlessness that makes things work for him.
Like when he killed his cousin in the middle of his own army. Nobody could have expected him to do that and that's why it worked.
He's ruthless, he doesn't fear consequences and he never plays by (society's unwritten) rules.
Everybody can kill a master swordsman in a duel if they grab a crossbow and shoot him at arms length.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2015, 08:08:38 PM »
Eh, I'll admit I wasn't actually the biggest fan of Prince of Thorns (and haven't read the sequels). I didn't exactly hate it and I suppose I understand what Lawrence was trying to achieve (making a series where the protagonist is unsympathetic from the start but remains an interesting character to follow) but the  book never really clicked with me. Not so much because of the premise, but because Jorg never really became interesting enough for me to make up for his general douchebaggery.

I don't know, maybe I've been spoiled growing up on anime and British comedies like Blackadder, where the villains are either delightfully witty or several hundred shades of crazy awesome, but Jorg felt vaguely lukewarm in comparison. He wasn't that funny, he wasn't that cool and his plans were never ingenious or crazy enough to make me sit up and pay attention. The one point he did was at the very beginning when he stares down that ghost and makes it back down through sheer will but he never once reaches that height throughout the rest of the book (and it retroactively turns out he was helped anyway).

I think the big point as to why I'm not fond of PoT comes near the end of the book, after Jorg has been stabbed by his father and is on the brink of dying. I read all that and realized that not once did I give a crap about whether he lived or died. Maybe part of that was because I knew he would make it because of unresolved plot threads and sequels, but if he genuinely had died, I think my reaction of an overwhelming 'meh' wouldn't really have been any different. Not happy or upset. Just meh.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the book is that bad and it's competently enough written. It just didn't gel with me. I doubt I'll read the sequels unless I'm particularly bored and there's nothing else to read.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 01:04:24 AM »
What makes Jorg do seemingly impossible things with ease is because he focuses solely on his objectives, his wants and his needs, without a single thought for anything else.

What restrains you from achieving things, nowadays? You follow the law, you think about the other people in society, you have a sense of what you can and cannot do.
Jorg ignores all that.

You want to be rich? Just kill the people with money and get their stuff. Or rob a bank, and keep destroying everyone who comes after you.
You want that Ferrari in the shop? Just enter and take it.
You want to fly to New York tonight? Just go to the airport and highjack a plane.
See? Perfectly easy, if you forget all society rules you've been taught or are seemingly innate.

Edit: oops seems that this is basically what Xia said in different words...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 01:10:58 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!