October 20, 2020, 07:01:57 AM

Author Topic: Priest of Bones by Peter McLean  (Read 587 times)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
Priest of Bones by Peter McLean
« on: January 03, 2020, 01:58:12 PM »
I’m really enjoying this one , quite a small novel.

It’s a cross between low town/black company and Peaky Blinders.

[/Sixty-five thousand battle-shocked, trained killers came home to no jobs, no food and the plague. What did Her Majesty think was going to happen?'

Tomas Piety takes his duties seriously: as a soldier, as a priest of Our Lady of Eternal Sorrows and as a leader of men. He has come home from the war to reclaim his family business, to provide for his men and to ensure the horrors of Abingon can never happen in Ellinburg.

But things have changed: his crime empire has been stolen and the people of Ellinburg - his people - have run out of food and hope and places to hide. With his best friend Bloody Anne, his war-damaged brother Jochan and his new gang, the Pious Men, Tomas sets out to reclaim what was his.

And as Tomas is dragged into a web of political intrigue by the sinister Queen's Men, forced to work against the foreign infiltrators lurking in the backstreet taverns, brothels and gambling dens of the Stink, one thing becomes clear.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 02:00:01 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline The Sword in the Tome

Re: Priest of Bones by Peter McLean
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 07:03:05 PM »
I have a copy and plan to read it sometime in March, possibly before.  The blurb and reviews suggested the world and story was gritty and dangerous, which is just how I like my fantasy.  :)
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 09:53:59 AM »
It's a great book. I really enjoyed and highly recommend it and the sequel, Priest of Lies. Pete is also a really great guy, which makes me even happier to recommend it :)

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline eclipse

• Dragonrider
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 08:22:19 AM »
Onto the short novel Priest of Lies I recommend this if you like Low town.

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline eclipse

• Dragonrider
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 06:42:15 PM »
Making a tv show, I don’t know if two books is enough to make a show. I’m still waiting for the Black company tv series.

https://www.tor.com/2020/09/30/peter-mcleans-priest-of-bones-is-being-adapted-for-tv/
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 06:43:47 PM by eclipse »

Offline Bender

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 10:07:43 PM »
Lots of drama, good scenes for violent and bloody action. Not enough sex in book, but they'll probably add in the show. Very low magic.

I probably won't watch.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 09:23:17 AM »
I haven't read the book yet, but already have the first two books at my house (waiting to buy the third one once it's out and read them all in one go). If the production and writing is any good though, I'll definitely be devouring this one.