August 20, 2019, 11:05:05 AM

Author Topic: Post your Grim Gathering Review :)  (Read 7048 times)

Offline Overlord

Post your Grim Gathering Review :)
« on: April 12, 2015, 02:15:59 PM »
Hey guys,

If you were able to make The Grim Gathering, it would be great if you could write a short review of how you thought it went - just so I can use it to spread around and promote the next one ;)

Here is an amazing Grim Gathering review:

"There's a queue outside a f**king bookshop"

http://tomunro.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/grim-gathering-ii-aka-theres-queue.html
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 02:19:00 PM by Overlord »
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Overlord

Highlight in pictures, once more :D

PANEL:

SIGNING:

PUB:

BREAKFAST:

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: Post your Grim Gathering Review :)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 03:06:03 PM »
@TOMunro, what a great blog post! Loved the "dogs owners, cats staff, reptiles bodyguards" summary.  ;D

I also think the idea that Grimdark is a label of convenience used by each person for their own ends rings so true, and is true abiut most categories in most analysis. Most useful is the 0-100 scale for happy endings and the stuff in between beginning and ending. My April writing contest story is definitely on the horror end of Grimdark by that definition, while my March story is more to the 60ish end of things and would not be grimdark at all.

Thanks!

Also, Marc @Overlord, I want to strongly echo the request for F-F t-shirts even for non-staff (like me!).
Of course, if the t-shirts take 6 months to not arrive (Ping about my copy of the anthology)...  ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 03:18:33 PM by Jmack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 03:16:57 PM »
it would be great if you could write a short review of how you thought it went

I'll have to get back to you on that, Marc, hehe
It wouldn't be short or good for the future - I suppose my "ohmygawd ohmygawd it was the best night of my life in a long time" doesn't count ;) :-[
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Rostum

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 04:18:03 PM »
it would be great if you could write a short review of how you thought it went

Best signing I have attended. Is that short enough Marc?

Usually I would have decided it was too far for a signature and not gone or done the stress of the travel finding where I need to be, queued then said something stupid while getting my books signed and gone home. Usually with the post trip is that it blues.
Instead I got to do all that then continue to make a fool of myself with authors while alcohol was involved, meet lots of people who actually understand why I read SFF and are accepting of it if not absolutely passionate about the same books. Then talk too much over breakfast. A truly memorable event. My thanks to all those who organised it and made it so.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 05:13:53 PM by Rostum »

Offline Heyjude

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 05:43:09 PM »
I had a great time at The Grim Gathering  :)
It was well worth the 380 mile round trip! Met lots of lovely people who all made me very welcome (I had been a little apprehensive, coming alone) The panel was interesting and fun, the pub was even more interesting and lots more fun! And now look at me, in my first ever forum!  I particularly enjoyed the chance to chat with the authors and indeed the other Gatherers at the pub, numerous questions came to me, drink in hand, that I'd not thought of earlier!  I made lots of new friends and probably quadrupled my to read pile.
Breakfast was great too, even with a slight hangover. Can't wait for the next one

Offline Overlord

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 07:15:07 PM »
Review by Peter Newman:

"I wasn’t planning on writing any more posts until after the launch but the Grim Gathering was so fantastic I couldn’t resist..."

http://www.runpetewrite.com/the-grim-gathering-2015/

Post by Peter V. Brett's assistant, Meg:

http://www.petervbrett.com/2015/04/11/the-skull-throne-tour-the-grim-gathering/

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 07:26:11 PM »
Sounds like you all had a lovely time. Sad I didn't make it now - but Bristol is a bit of a trek. Should be more events held in London - nothing fantasy related ever happens here.  :'( (I am joking before someone takes me to town.)

Heard a bit of the Vagrant a couple of weeks ago at SRFC and seems like its going to get a lot of buzz on these forums.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 07:48:55 PM »
Heard a bit of the Vagrant a couple of weeks ago at SRFC and seems like its going to get a lot of buzz on these forums.

I was at the SRFC too!
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 07:53:30 PM »

I was at the SRFC too!

Ooooohhh. Who were you?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 07:57:49 PM »
Sounds like you all had a lovely time. Sad I didn't make it now - but Bristol is a bit of a trek. Should be more events held in London - nothing fantasy related ever happens here.  :'( (I am joking before someone takes me to town.)

The cover is so striking, I wonder how much that is supporting/driving the buzz?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline TOMunro

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 08:00:14 PM »
Thanks @Jmack for the comments.  Writing the review gave me something to do while I wasn't able to be at breakfast (sniff) so I'm glad people liked it.

Also it was good to meet people and I'm sorry to have missed some, There were fellow short story competitors I didn't get to catch up on such as @ScarletBea and others (I think) I did get to chat to @Heyjude, guessing at a name behind a handle

A great time had by all, I heard mention of rumour of another possible event in August?  well have airport will travel count me in.

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 08:03:45 PM »

The cover is so striking, I wonder how much that is supporting/driving the buzz?

I am indifferent to covers.  The passage Peter Newman read at SRFC really drew us all into the story - hence why everyone at SRFC is buzzing about the book.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Overlord

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 08:12:41 PM »

A big part of the 'pre-release' buzz is the fact that it is Voyager who are publishing it. What I've come to notice is that when Voyager pick up an author they tend to do so because they are fairly certain he/she is going to do well or at least that their marketing team can ensure they put all their effort into making sure they do. I presume this is because with authors like George R.R. Martin, Robin Hobb, David Eddings, Janny Wurts and Raymond Feist on their lists they don't want to water themselves down. In fact, I think the last Harper Voyager Epic Fantasy debut was Mark Lawrence (2011)? Gollancz, in contrast, had 6 debuts last year.

And, as Dom says, the book is very good and does draw you into it quite quickly - the mystery of it means it is very hard to put down until you relieve yourself of the burden of confusion.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 08:19:32 PM »
I am 250 pages in. I believe this book will do very well and suspect there will be a best newcomer award if nothing else for Peter. It has been a Wonderfulstrange book so far.