July 04, 2020, 12:52:27 AM

Poll

Which one do you think I would like the best?

The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire #1) by Mark T. Barnes
1 (4.2%)
Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch #1) by Ann Leckie
2 (8.3%)
The Emperor's Blades: Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, Book 1
2 (8.3%)
Prince of Fools (The Red Queen's War #1) by Mark Lawrence
8 (33.3%)
The Thousand Names (The Shadow Campaigns #1) by Django Wexler
5 (20.8%)
Heroes Die (The Acts of Caine #1) by Matthew Woodring Stover
3 (12.5%)
Smiler's Fair (The Hollow Gods #1) by Rebecca Levene
3 (12.5%)
False Hearts (False Hearts #1) by Laura Lam
0 (0%)
Age of Iron (Iron Age #1) by Angus Watson
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Pick my new series for me!  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Pick my new series for me!
« on: October 02, 2016, 12:40:25 PM »
Which one do you think I would like the best?

Garden of Stone

Spoiler for Hiden:
An uneasy peace has existed since the fall of the Awakened Empire centuries ago. Now the hybrid Av?n share the land with the people they once conquered: the star-born humans; the spectral, undead Nomads; and what remains of the Elemental Masters.

With the Empress-in-Shadows an estranged ghost, it is the ancient dynasties of the Great Houses and the Hundred Families that rule. But now civil war threatens to draw all of Shr?an into a vicious struggle sparked by one man’s lust for power, and his drive to cheat death.

Visions have foretold that Corajidin, dying ruler of House Erebus, will not only survive, but rise to rule his people. The wily nobleman seeks to make his destiny certain—by plundering the ruins of his civilization’s past for the arcane science needed to ensure his survival, and by mercilessly eliminating his rivals. But mercenary warrior-mage Indris, scion of the rival House Näsarat, stands most powerfully in the usurper’s bloody path. For it is Indris who reluctantly accepts the task of finding a missing man, the only one able to steer the teetering nation towards peace.

Ancillary Justice

Spoiler for Hiden:
On a remote, icy planet, the soldier known as Breq is drawing closer to completing her quest. Once, she was the Justice of Toren - a colossal starship with an artificial intelligence linking thousands of soldiers in the service of the Radch, the empire that conquered the galaxy. Now, an act of treachery has ripped it all away, leaving her with one fragile human body, unanswered questions, and a burning desire for vengeance.

The Emperor's Blades

Spoiler for Hiden:
The circle is closing. The stakes are high. And old truths will live again . . . The Emperor has been murdered, leaving the Annurian Empire in turmoil. Now his progeny must bury their grief and prepare to unmask a conspiracy. His son Valyn, training for the empire's deadliest fighting force, hears the news an ocean away. He expected a challenge, but after several 'accidents' and a dying soldier's warning, he realizes his life is also in danger. Yet before Valyn can take action, he must survive the mercenaries' brutal final initiation. Meanwhile, the Emperor's daughter, Minister Adare, hunts her father's murderer in the capital itself. Court politics can be fatal, but she needs justice. And Kaden, heir to an empire, studies in a remote monastery. Here, the Blank God's disciples teach their harsh ways - which Kaden must master to unlock their ancient powers. When an imperial delegation arrives, he's learnt enough to perceive evil intent. But will this keep him alive, as long-hidden powers make their move?

Prince of Fools

Spoiler for Hiden:
First in a brand new series from the author of The Broken Empire Trilogy.

The Red Queen is old but the kings of the Broken Empire dread her like no other. For all her reign she has fought the long war, contested in secret, against the powers that stand behind nations, for higher stakes than land or gold. Her greatest weapon is The Silent Sister—unseen by most and unspoken of by all.

The Red Queen’s grandson, Prince Jalan Kendeth—drinker, gambler, seducer of women—is one who can see The Silent Sister. Tenth in line for the throne and content with his role as a minor royal, he pretends that the hideous crone is not there. But war is coming. Witnesses claim an undead army is on the march, and the Red Queen has called on her family to defend the realm. Jal thinks it’s all a rumor—nothing that will affect him.

But he is wrong

The Thousand Names

Spoiler for Hiden:
Enter an epic fantasy world that echoes with the thunder of muskets and the clang of steel—but where the real battle is against a subtle and sinister magic....

Captain Marcus d’Ivoire, commander of one of the Vordanai empire’s colonial garrisons, was resigned to serving out his days in a sleepy, remote outpost. But that was before a rebellion upended his life. And once the powder smoke settled, he was left in charge of a demoralized force clinging tenuously to a small fortress at the edge of the desert.

To flee from her past, Winter Ihernglass masqueraded as a man and enlisted as a ranker in the Vordanai Colonials, hoping only to avoid notice. But when chance sees her promoted to command, she must win the hearts of her men and lead them into battle against impossible odds.

The fates of both these soldiers and all the men they lead depend on the newly arrived Colonel Janus bet Vhalnich, who has been sent by the ailing king to restore order. His military genius seems to know no bounds, and under his command, Marcus and Winter can feel the tide turning. But their allegiance will be tested as they begin to suspect that the enigmatic Janus’s ambitions extend beyond the battlefield and into the realm of the supernatural—a realm with the power to ignite a meteoric rise, reshape the known world, and change the lives of everyone in its path.

Heroes Die

Spoiler for Hiden:
Rife with magic and adventure, this extraordinarily ambitious fantasy chronicles the adventures of Hari Michaelson--merely a popular actor on Earth, but a renowned and deadly assassin known as Caine, the Blade of Tyshalle, on the planet Overworld.

Smiler's Fair

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yron the moon god died, but now he's reborn in the false king's son. His human father wanted to kill him, but his mother sacrificed her life to save him. He'll return one day to claim his birthright. He'll change your life.

He'll change everything.

Smiler's Fair: the great moving carnival where any pleasure can be had, if you're willing to pay the price. They say all paths cross at Smiler's Fair. They say it'll change your life. For five people, Smiler's Fair will change everything.

In a land where unimaginable horror lurks in the shadows, where the very sun and moon are at war, five people - Nethmi, the orphaned daughter of a murdered nobleman, who in desperation commits an act that will haunt her forever. Dae Hyo, the skilled warrior, who discovers that a lifetime of bravery cannot make up for a single mistake. Eric, who follows his heart only to find that love exacts a terrible price. Marvan, the master swordsman, who takes more pleasure from killing than he should. And Krish, the humble goatherd, with a destiny he hardly understands and can never accept - will discover just how much Smiler's Fair changes everything

False Hearts

Spoiler for Hiden:
Orphan Black meets Inception: Two formerly conjoined sisters are ensnared in a murderous plot involving psychoactive drugs, shared dreaming, organized crime, and a sinister cult.

One night Tila stumbles home, terrified and covered in blood.

She’s arrested for murder, the first by a civilian in decades. The San Francisco police suspect involvement with Verve, a powerful drug, and offer her twin sister Taema a chilling deal. Taema must assume Tila’s identity and gather information – then if she brings down the drug syndicate, the police may let her sister live. But Taema’s investigation raises ghosts from the twins’ past.

The sisters were raised by a cult, which banned modern medicine. But as conjoined twins, they needed surgery to divide their shared heart – and escaped. Taema now finds Tila discovered links between the cult and the city’s underground. Once unable to keep secrets, the sisters will discover the true cost of lies.

Age of Iron

Spoiler for Hiden:
LEGENDS AREN'T BORN. THEY'RE FORGED.

Dug Sealskinner is a down-on-his-luck mercenary travelling south to join up with King Zadar's army. But he keeps rescuing the wrong people.

First, Spring, a child he finds scavenging on the battlefield, and then Lowa, one of Zadar's most fearsome warriors, who's vowed revenge on the king for her sister's execution.

Now Dug's on the wrong side of that thousands-strong army he hoped to join ­- and worse, Zadar has bloodthirsty druid magic on his side. All Dug has is his war hammer, one rescued child and one unpredictable, highly-trained warrior with a lust for revenge that's going to get them all killed . . .

It's a glorious day to die.

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Pick my new series for me!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 12:46:06 PM »
You know I have to vote for Mark Lawrence ;) but I'm actually not sure if it's really your style.
I also voted for Smiler's Fair, because I really enjoyed that.

And I haven't read the others.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 12:49:28 PM »
I've only read Mark Lawrence, Django Wexler and Brian Staveley off of the list, and Mark Lawrence os the only one I read the whole series of. So. Easy choice for me.  :)
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 12:49:44 PM »
Always good to have second,third,forth opinion etc on books  ;D

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 12:57:03 PM »
I rated all 3 books of Unhewn Throne with 5 stars. So...I kinda liked them.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 01:03:02 PM »
I've only read the first three.

Emperor's Blades - Way overrated and quite ordinary, but still enjoyable as a run-of-the-mill fantasy epic. I've got the second one and I'll happily read it, but I'm not in a great rush.

Garden of Stones - A bit different and interesting. Not that great a story. Again, I'll probably read the second one sometime.

Ancillary Justice - Very enjoyable galactic empire adventure, with a couple of thought-provoking ideas. Not everyone gets on with it, but I thought it was great. I have read the second one of these, which I also liked a lot, and I just bought the last one a few days ago.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 10:59:42 PM »
Didn't read any of those, but read Prince of Thorns, so I voted Prince of Fools.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 05:35:17 AM »
The only one of that list I've read is Prince of Fools, but hope you would enjoy it. Different from Thorns, in general lighter and quite funny in places. ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 08:44:38 PM »
Thousand names ofc. You're a sucker for military fantasy. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 09:53:22 PM »

I nearly put just read  more Malazan on the poll.

Looks like it the Prince of Fools then been putting off as I didn't much care for the last book in Thorns.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 01:49:52 PM »
put them all aside. Pick up The many Coloured land by Julian May assuming you haven't already?

Offline Hedin

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 04:39:06 PM »

That's the only one I put down for him as I feel like it would be right down his alley (plus its one of my favorite active series).

Looks like it the Prince of Fools then been putting off as I didn't much care for the last book in Thorns.

Fools and Thorns are a bit different, Jalan is a wholly different character than Jorg.  I do feel like I've picked up on more of the world in the Fools books and I have found that part interesting.

The only other ones on the list I've read are The Emperor's Blade and Age of Iron.  Both were perfectly fine but I didn't find either that memorable or made me eager to read on.

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 04:49:48 PM »
Btw I didn't much care for powder mage it was a dnf so if Thousand names is similar to that I might not like but if its more like black company and malazan I would probably love it

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 04:53:47 PM »
Btw I didn't much care for powder mage it was a dnf so if Thousand names is similar to that I might not like but if its more like black company and malazan I would probably love it
It's a similar setting, but it takes a different approach to the magic side of things. Which bits didn't you like in Powder Mage?
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 06:30:56 PM »
Can't remember long time ago just wasn't for me