September 21, 2020, 01:25:48 AM

Author Topic: Pet Peeves: What makes you put a book down/never pick it up in the first place?  (Read 15726 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
If the first woman to turn up is inexplicably naked (happens surprisingly often) - especially if they're naked and evil.
Wait. What? There something wrong with that?
 ;)  ;D
Funnily I had to think of Traitor's blade (again). First female we see is naked and evil...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
If the first woman to turn up is inexplicably naked (happens surprisingly often) - especially if they're naked and evil.
Wait. What? There something wrong with that?
 ;)  ;D
Funnily I had to think of Traitor's blade (again). First female we see is naked and evil...
And that'll teach me to joke about something I actually dislike. I really hated the treatment and view of woemn in that book.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Takoren

Curious what the problem was. I haven't read it but it looked good and it's rated pretty high on goodreads.
"The battle's won easy and the war's won cheap
My lords seem to trust me but I'm just 18
So I'll hang their hides from the bannisters
When I take my revenge on the Lannisters
Got engaged to a Frey so I could win a free pass
Can't get with Talisa but damn dat ass
Hey, hey, I wanna be Robb Stark..."

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Curious what the problem was. I haven't read it but it looked good and it's rated pretty high on goodreads.
We did it as a book club read a few months ago. I enjoyed a lot about it. But as to women:

Spoiler for Hiden:
One is forced to have sex with a noble to save her husband
One is a holy prostitute who has sex with our hero to save his soul
One is the naked assassin
One is a conniving evil noble
One is an arrogant, but clueless innocent
One is a brave little girl whose father slept with many women to ensure he would have many children... in order to save the kingdom
Every straightforward positive charcater is... wait for it... a guy   :o

I just think that's overall weird. Now, I think the author has it set up for more positive women charcaters in the next books, but I'm afraid he lost me completely with this. Funny thing is, I say lots of crap stuff on the forum and people often agree, disagree, etc. I've mentioned this a bunch of time about Traitors Blade and can't recall anyone saying anything in response.

(crickets)
See that?
Really?!  ;) ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Yora

What's a "peeve"?
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
"pet peeve" is an expression for those things that annoy you, that be logical or not.

For example, a pet peeve of mine is people walking with their heads down looking at their phones, and then assuming I will move out of their way if we cross.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Yora

But what's a regular peeve?
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
You made me laugh ;D
I checked the online dictionary and it says a peeve is the same as pet peeve (a cause of annoyance).
Dunno why we always add 'pet' to it...

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/peeve :)

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
But what's a regular peeve?
Those are the wild peeves that were never domesticated. They tend to be bigger and more destructive than pet peeves. For example, a wild peeve would be hating people with two nostrils or people who breathe. Imagine though if someone had wild peeves like that; there would be blood and teeth on the floor. Which, by the way, is a pet peeve of mine. Clean up after your brawls, everyone. I mean, really.  ;D
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
You made me laugh ;D
I checked the online dictionary and it says a peeve is the same as pet peeve (a cause of annoyance).
Dunno why we always add 'pet' to it...

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/peeve :)

You are both making me laugh ;D ;D
You could think of a "pet" peeve as one that really annoys you personally and smoke comes out of your ears, but a peeve just makes you grumble quietly to yourself.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
You could think of a "pet" peeve as one that really annoys you personally and smoke comes out of your ears, but a peeve just makes you grumble quietly to yourself.

After Jmack's post I'd say:
- peeve = regular grumble, outspoken, generally shared by all
- pet peeve = your personal grumbles, might be quirky
- wild peeve = the really big deals that are outrageous, make you scream, and have the smoke and all
 ;D

Offline Hedin

We did it as a book club read a few months ago. I enjoyed a lot about it. But as to women:

Spoiler for Hiden:
One is a brave little girl whose father slept with many women to ensure he would have many children... in order to save the kingdom

I just think that's overall weird. Now, I think the author has it set up for more positive women charcaters in the next books, but I'm afraid he lost me completely with this. Funny thing is, I say lots of crap stuff on the forum and people often agree, disagree, etc. I've mentioned this a bunch of time about Traitors Blade and can't recall anyone saying anything in response.

(crickets)
See that?
Really?!  ;) ;D

I don't remember #1 and 2 on that list and isn't #3 and #4 the same person (or am I totally remembering it wrong)?  I always find it interesting when people see novels differently than how I see them, all of that was present but I did not give it a second thought.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty

After Jmack's post I'd say:
- peeve = regular grumble, outspoken, generally shared by all
- pet peeve = your personal grumbles, might be quirky
- wild peeve = the really big deals that are outrageous, make you scream, and have the smoke and all
 ;D

Well done both, I love all those peeves and shall practise and now Yora knows all about peeves, however this is very important:

When someone British says "I was a bit peeved about that, but never mind, it doesn't matter."

Translation

"Someone sat in MY seat on the train today and I want to kill them and will never forgive them and tomorrow I shall go twenty minutes early and stand on the edge of the platform and get my seat first and give you a cold haughty stare for the rest of the journey when you're not looking."
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Tales of Starlit Lands

Spoiler for Hiden:

(crickets)
See that?
Really?!  ;) ;D

I don't remember #1 and 2 on that list and isn't #3 and #4 the same person (or am I totally remembering it wrong)?  I always find it interesting when people see novels differently than how I see them, all of that was present but I did not give it a second thought.

Number 3 and 4 are:
Spoiler for Hiden:
daughter and mother

And if you don't recall number 1, it's probably because I left out something important:
Spoiler for Hiden:
One had sex with a noble to save her husband and then was raped to death by the noble's minions
Because, of course.

And the frustrating thing is that the book is pretty good and a lot of fun in many places.
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Takoren

Spoiler for Hiden:

(crickets)
See that?
Really?!  ;) ;D
That's a shame. It does seem like a good series and there are plenty of great reviews out there for it, so I was kind of excited about reading it (also, while its sequel definitely does fall under the category of "bland titles", the title of the series itself and probably the first book really don't.)

The treatment of women in a pseudo-medieval time period is always tricky. No matter what, you risk angering someone. Leave them out completely and you're not an equal-opportunity writer. Write women who kick ass and take names, and you're accused of being "unrealistic" (as if it's not a world you created, seeing as it's fantasy) and just writing the women as just "men with breasts". Write her to have a more traditional role in that sort of society and you're a sexist pig. If she's portrayed as not enjoying such a role, she's a victim and you're still sexist for writing her that way. If she's powerful but a villain, you're threatened by powerful women. If she's powerful and heroic, she's a Mary Sue, and etc., etc.

But there is a difference between placing women in a traditional role for the setting vs. taking seeming pleasure in demeaning them. That was one of the (many) reasons I could not bring myself to finish the Prince of Nothing series. All the main female characters exist mainly so that the male characters can get laid. They're all prostitutes or concubines, seemed very weak-willed and victimized/manipulated by everyone. Oddly enough I've seen women defend that series.

That said, I've always held that there is a difference between depiction and celebration. Broken Empire has a protagonist that does a lot of horrible things, rape included, but Mark Lawrence clearly doesn't expect us to approve or excuse it because Jorg is a truly bad guy. I kept waiting for Thomas Covenant to receive some comeuppance and when it became clear he wasn't going to get any, I quit reading.
"The battle's won easy and the war's won cheap
My lords seem to trust me but I'm just 18
So I'll hang their hides from the bannisters
When I take my revenge on the Lannisters
Got engaged to a Frey so I could win a free pass
Can't get with Talisa but damn dat ass
Hey, hey, I wanna be Robb Stark..."