August 25, 2019, 01:47:39 AM

Author Topic: Orbit, we need to talk...  (Read 8232 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Orbit, we need to talk...
« on: February 25, 2015, 04:06:54 PM »

Anyone spots my problem? ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Hedin

Re: Orbit, we need to talk...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 04:59:13 PM »
I don't know if we need a talk with Orbit but we need a talk with you about putting things in alphabetical order....

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 05:04:55 PM »

That's horrible! I guess we've been lucky, most of our books are pretty standardised. We have three full shelves in total where all the books are exactly the same.  That includes 15 from Orbit, so no idea what's up with yours!

Spoiler for Hiden:

Incidentally, I find that this is by far the best way to choose which book to read next:

Spoiler for Hiden:

:D

I don't know if we need a talk with Orbit but we need a talk with you about putting things in alphabetical order....
Pshh Alphabetical. We generally sort our books by preference (i.e. authors we like the most in the same place), then chronological within that author's works. It makes sense that way when you're looking for a specific book, because the ones you're most likely to want are in the most convenient position within the bookshelf ;)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 06:41:01 PM »
That's because you're mixing normal paperbacks with trade paperbacks!
You definitely need to pay attention to the formats, that would *really* bug me... (my first 2 books by Jasper Fforde have got a different format and cover, since they were given by my sister, and I hate looking at that bit of the shelf, even if one is signed, hehe)

I'm not sure how you manage to get those Night Angel sizes, though. My editions are exactly the same (I think) and the books are all the same height (I've just confirmed, hehe) - ah, actually not. Just noticed that your 1 and 3 are "Orbit fantasy" (see the symbol), while mine are all from the symbol without 'fantasy'.

And yes, alphabetical order by author's surname. Within the fantasy section of course. The other sections follow the same rule.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:44:19 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Hedin

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 07:23:05 PM »
And yes, alphabetical order by author's surname. Within the fantasy section of course. The other sections follow the same rule.

I don't have enough different type of fiction books to separate genres (I do separate non-fiction and fiction) but I think it would still bug me if everything wasn't in order.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 07:24:17 PM »

That photo could drive someone with OCD to the edge of madness :)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 08:34:48 PM »
Oh, don't worry. That's a posed photo. ;)
(I still don't have them in alphabetical order - I prefer to sort by colours. ;D Just kidding. ;) I sort by genre (YA, Grimdark, Weird, ...))

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
You're really lucky! Double, with a beautiful and obviously helpful cat like that one. :) (I can only see your pics if I copy them into my browser, btw.)

You definitely need to pay attention to the formats, that would *really* bug me...

Just noticed that your 1 and 3 are "Orbit fantasy" (see the symbol), while mine are all from the symbol without 'fantasy'.
What kind of b*llsh*t is that? We don't have two kinds of paperbacks in Germany and since I have to order most books online, I can't find out if it's trade paperback or paperback. I just checked on amazon and not even there is a distinction visible. I could measure the book I have and look what format the next one has there but if it's the wrong one, I have no way to get the right one...

It's hard enough to not mix American and British editions, because that's sometimes hard to find out too...  :-\

And really. Having a book released as "Orbit fantasy" and "Orbit" with the same cover but one 5mm longer than the other is really mean-minded.

That photo could drive someone with OCD to the edge of madness :)
You do realize that most users here have a tendency in that direction? ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 08:42:26 PM »
We don't have two kinds of paperbacks in Germany and since I have to order most books online, I can't find out if it's trade paperback or paperback. I just checked on amazon and not even there is a distinction visible. I could measure the book I have and look what format the next one has there but if it's the wrong one, I have no way to get the right one...

Yep, measure it, that's what I do when buying online. And you can see by the release date and price too, the smaller/normal paperbacks are cheaper and released later.
Not many publishers do trade paperbacks, though - and I think they stop selling those once the normal paperback is released *

And I split my books into 3 groups: non-fiction, fantasy and everything else (i.e. normal fiction hehe)

And while I recognise that OCD *is* an illness and I don't have it, I admit I am quite anal with sizes, formats and everything matching ;D

* Edit: I think I've just confirmed that. From the books in your shelf I couldn't find a single one showing trade paperbacks on Amazon, they were all just selling the smaller one, but now I found an example. A.J. Dalton's Tithe of the Saviours was first released last year, but instead of hardcover, they just published the trade p/b. The smaller p/b is being published now, and you can still see both on Amazon - click on "See all 3 formats and editions" and you see 2 paperback prices (and then there you can see the different sizes)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tithe-Saviours-Chronicles-Cosmic-Warlord/dp/0575123230/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=1-1&qid=1424897173
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 08:50:20 PM by ScarletBea »

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 08:51:35 PM »
You're really lucky! Double, with a beautiful and obviously helpful cat like that one. :) (I can only see your pics if I copy them into my browser, btw.)
Well that sucks. I'll try a different image host - do these work?

And yeah, she's a little angel. Except when she's busy opening doors and stealing everyone else's food that is...

You definitely need to pay attention to the formats, that would *really* bug me...

Just noticed that your 1 and 3 are "Orbit fantasy" (see the symbol), while mine are all from the symbol without 'fantasy'.
What kind of b*llsh*t is that? We don't have two kinds of paperbacks in Germany and since I have to order most books online, I can't find out if it's trade paperback or paperback. I just checked on amazon and not even there is a distinction visible. I could measure the book I have and look what format the next one has there but if it's the wrong one, I have no way to get the right one...

It's hard enough to not mix American and British editions, because that's sometimes hard to find out too...  :-\

And really. Having a book released as "Orbit fantasy" and "Orbit" with the same cover but one 5mm longer than the other is really mean-minded.
Yeah we get that too, no way of choosing what the cover version is or anything. We've been ridiculously lucky so far that all our Sanderson books have matching covers, not so lucky with a couple of other series like ROTE though.  :-\
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Online Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 10:22:14 PM »
Yes, the mixing up of the various formats is a pet peeve of mine, too. I think we have the Newsflesh trilogy in a different format for each book. Yes, that's an Orbit as well. It's highly possible others do it, but it seems to centre around Orbit's publications. I sometimes wish they'd never discovered trade paperback or B formats.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 11:53:19 PM »
All my books are the same size on my Kindle.   ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 07:59:59 AM »

shooooo those aren't real books :P

You can't show them ;D

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 11:59:54 AM »

You can't show them ;D
This is a marital bliss strategy.  I can buy them, she doesn't see them  ;)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 12:39:54 PM »
Yes, the mixing up of the various formats is a pet peeve of mine, too. I think we have the Newsflesh trilogy in a different format for each book. Yes, that's an Orbit as well. It's highly possible others do it, but it seems to centre around Orbit's publications. I sometimes wish they'd never discovered trade paperback or B formats.

And changing the cover art part-way through a series also bugs you a lot.  :)
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/468304061223075719/ Jasper Fforde is 3rd shelf down, and on either side of the divider.  Two sizes AND different cover art  ???

I think our Parasol Protectorate are different sizes too, which is annoying.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/468304061223075709/ (middle of the pic, the Newsflesh is the bottom right, and you can see the different sizes of them as well)

And just because - the Pratchetts are a lovely mixture of sizes and types, and cover art (but that is due to Josh Kirby's death) https://www.pinterest.com/pin/468304061223075729/

(Grr, tried to insert the pictures, but they were sodding enormous, hence the links...)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 12:47:44 PM by Lejays17 »
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline Hedin

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 01:05:04 PM »

You can't show them ;D
This is a marital bliss strategy.  I can buy them, she doesn't see them  ;)

Yes yes yes.  I don't want to imagine my wife's reaction if I had physical copies of all of  my ebooks.