October 16, 2018, 12:45:32 AM

Author Topic: Old Favourites which have gone to the suck fairy 🧚???  (Read 983 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: Old Favourites which have gone to the suck fairy 🧚???
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2018, 10:41:53 PM »
I will re-read LotR at least twice more before I die, even if I know see flaws and think that Malayan, Soong of Ice & Fire ne others may actually be better reads. It’s just got an unassailable place in my heart.

Suck fairy? Some Heinlein, maybe Asimov. I won’t re-read Fiyndation, etc. simply for fear of the suck fairy. Sconah, I think. Definitely Edgar Rice Burroughs. I was addicted to ERB as a teen; can still read him if I’m in a particular mood for sexist cultural imperialism- which is rare and getting rarer.
It's a good point you make about Burroughs, I never read him as a teen, but I read his first Tarzan book a few years ago as an adult and I was stunned by the casual racism and sexism within the book. I doubt it would have even been published if he wrote it now, the same with the Barsoom series.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2018, 10:28:50 AM »
I think I brought up the 'Edge Chronicles' series in another thread once. I adored those books as a child and I've spent the last month rereading them. A few of them still hold up. Some of them don't. The world is fantastic, but a lot of the main characters are pretty flat and boring. I wouldn't go as far to say that any of them suck, but there are one or two I might have given a pass due to childhood nostalgia.

The world has a character arc in the overall series, which is great, but unfortunately that arc is more compelling than that of the main characters.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 08:35:18 PM »
It's a good point you make about Burroughs, I never read him as a teen, but I read his first Tarzan book a few years ago as an adult and I was stunned by the casual racism and sexism within the book. I doubt it would have even been published if he wrote it now, the same with the Barsoom series.

Tarzan of the Apes was published in 1912 and set in 1888, while I sympathize we are looking at it from a 100 years on (depending on you publication) and a very different world and through a different societal lens.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 08:37:38 PM by Rostum »

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2018, 10:41:43 PM »

Tarzan of the Apes was published in 1912 and set in 1888, while I sympathize we are looking at it from a 100 years on (depending on you publication) and a very different world and through a different societal lens.
I do get that, Rostum, but I've read other books from that time, which didn't have the same effect on me. I think it was compounded by the fact that I found Burroughs to be a pretty poor writer in general.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Rostum

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2018, 04:41:12 PM »
I am not a fan of Burroughs and do not think he was a good writer a bit like Niven he was an ideas man at best and would have benefited from someone else setting them down in ink. Even with kids books I have seen some  fairly heavy editing in reprints to make them acceptable to the current audience and I haven't looked into it but guess there will be geographical differences to acceptable at any given point in time.