October 14, 2019, 11:53:04 AM

Author Topic: New series suggestion  (Read 1975 times)

Offline SleeplessCT

New series suggestion
« on: November 24, 2018, 09:26:22 AM »
Good morning,

I'm new here and I would really like for advice for something to read.

The fact is that, since I finished the Wheel of Time, a few years ago (and because of some other events going on in my life), I just couldn't manage to really get into any other series, with the exception of the Night Angel trilogy and I eventually quit reading, so I thought I might ask you guys if you have any suggestion on the matter.

To give you an indication of what I like, my favorite series are: (obviously) the Wheel of Time, the Night Angel trilogy, a Song of Ice and Fire, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings (+ the Hobbit) and the Gentlemen Bastards.

Some other series I liked are: R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt series, Robin Hobbs's several trilogies, Sergej Luk'janenko's tetralogy.

Some series I couldn't really get into: Joe Abercrombie's the First Law, Markus Heitz's books, James Barclays's the Raven, Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn (sorry!), Steven Erikson's Malazan book of the Fallen.

Do you think you could help me with this? ^^

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: New series suggestion
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 02:16:04 PM »
I suggest the Copper Cat trilogy by Jen Williams, or the Riyria books by Michael J. Sullivan.
Also, if you liked Night Angel, then Weeks' other series might also be good for you :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Peat

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 10:37:39 PM »
What about the series that you liked did you like?
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 12:08:18 AM »
I'll throw Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn into the ring and Raymond Feist's Magician. Both a bit old school, but going on what you did like, you may enjoy those.

Offline SleeplessCT

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 09:49:59 AM »
First of all, thank you all for your help :)

I suggest the Copper Cat trilogy by Jen Williams, or the Riyria books by Michael J. Sullivan.
Also, if you liked Night Angel, then Weeks' other series might also be good for you :)
Yeah I thought about the Lightbringer series, but the problem is that it has not been translated to my language yet (and I don't know if it will ever be) and, while I have read books in English before, I'd prefer to read them in Italian because, depending on the author, sometimes I find it difficult to understand them.

For example I had very few problems with A Memory of Light (I just had to look up some words that I didn't know every now and then without slowing down too much), but when I tried to read Scott Lynch's the Republic of Thieves I found I spent more time looking up words than doing the actual reading :P

And the same problem goes with the Copper Cat trilogy, but I'll definitely look up Sullivan since the Riyria Revelations has 2/3 (or 4/6) books translated (yeah publishing industry is pretty slow over here).

What about the series that you liked did you like?
Honestly, I'm not sure, especially since I read most of them over 10 years ago. Probably the depth of the immersion into the respective worlds and the number of interesting main characters and different POVs.

I'll throw Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn into the ring and Raymond Feist's Magician. Both a bit old school, but going on what you did like, you may enjoy those.
I forgot to write them in my list, especially Feist's series, which I enjoyed a lot back when I read it!

Offline Peat

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 11:16:18 PM »
So big sprawling Epic Fantasy...

The Traitor Son Cycle by Miles Cameron was my first thought for a modern fantasy. I didn't love it myself but its got all the ingredients you like.

More old school, you might like David Eddings' books.

If you've read Feist's books, have you read the series he co-authored with Jannie Wurts?

Also... not conventional fantasy per se, and its got a 1st PoV narrator rather than multiple arcs, but I can see you really liking Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 05:32:14 AM »
I second Brent Weeks-- I've only made it through the first one but i really enjoyed it.

I haven't been able to get into it, but a lot of people on here really really really like Mazalan   just saw you mentioned that in the OG post-- I share your feelings.  About Sanderson too :)

No one else on here seems to like it, but enjoyed the Licanius Trilogy so far (last book comes out this feb).  If you haven't read Dune yet, you should.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:44:15 AM by J.R. Darewood »

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 10:30:39 AM »
There's only 2 books in it, but I think you'd like Nicholas Eames Kings of the Wyld and its sequel Bloody Rose.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline SleeplessCT

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 10:37:33 PM »
Hey, I've had connection problems for the last few days and couldn't log! I have just started the first book of the Chronicles of Dragonlance, mostly because that has been sitting on my bedside table for, like, the last 10 years  :P But I'm finding it hard to really get into the story and all...

Unfortunately, most of the books you mentioned have not yet been translated, so I think I'll wait for a bit before checking on them again :P

And that seems to be my go-to strategy, since I just found an old scrap of paper with a big list of books for possible future readings, so would you give me your opinion on the following?

-Paul Hoffman's Left Hand trilogy
-Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicle
-Joe Dever's Lone Wolf
-Anthony Ryan's Raven's Shadow
-R.A. Salvatore's Cleric Quintet
-Andrzej Sapkowski's the Witcher saga (I just started playing the 3rd, but never played the first 2)

...And, well, there are a lot more in that page, but this will do for now :D

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 02:32:31 AM »
Hey, I've had connection problems for the last few days and couldn't log! I have just started the first book of the Chronicles of Dragonlance, mostly because that has been sitting on my bedside table for, like, the last 10 years  :P But I'm finding it hard to really get into the story and all...

Unfortunately, most of the books you mentioned have not yet been translated, so I think I'll wait for a bit before checking on them again :P

And that seems to be my go-to strategy, since I just found an old scrap of paper with a big list of books for possible future readings, so would you give me your opinion on the following?

-Paul Hoffman's Left Hand trilogy
-Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicle
-Joe Dever's Lone Wolf
-Anthony Ryan's Raven's Shadow
-R.A. Salvatore's Cleric Quintet
-Andrzej Sapkowski's the Witcher saga (I just started playing the 3rd, but never played the first 2)

...And, well, there are a lot more in that page, but this will do for now :D

All hands recommendation for Kingkiller Chronicles, although don't get too anticipatory for book 3 just yet, hahah. I have book one of the Raven's Shadow series as well, haven't started it yet but heard it's pretty good. I have an interest in the Witcher series as well (mainly from playing the game too), heard that some of the books could be slow but overall rather a dark and interesting portrayal of central European folktales. I'd recommend reading The Last Wish as the first book.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 08:23:27 AM »
-Paul Hoffman's Left Hand trilogy --> no, no, no, simply NO, these books are AWFUL!

-Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicle --> yes, they're great, but ask Inky said, read the 2 on their own and don't expect the rest anytime soon

I haven't read the others.

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Peat

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 11:35:05 AM »
I wasn't a big fan of Left Hand. Very by the numbers YA for me with artificial feeling edginess.

I'm not a big fan of Rothfuss either but I recognise that I'm in the minority and he does fit what you've asked for.

That said, I think Sapowski's The Witcher is the best for what you want there... not that I was a very big fan of that either!

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 02:01:17 PM »
 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35018912-child-of-a-mad-god

Child of a Mad God
(The Coven #1)
by R.A. Salvatore

From R. A. Salvatore, the legendary creator of Drizzt Do’Urden, comes the start of abrand new epic journey.

When Aoleyn loses her parents, she is left to fend for herself among a tribe of vicious barbarians. Bound by rigid traditions, she dreams of escaping to the world beyond her mountain home.

The only hope for achieving the kind of freedom she searches for is to learn how to wield the mysterious power used by the tribe’s coven known as the Song of Usgar. Thankfully, Aoleyn may be the strongest witch to have ever lived, but magic comes at price. Not only has her abilities caught the eye of the brutish warlord that leads the tribe, but the demon of the mountain hunts all who wield the Coven’s power, and Aoleyn’s talent has made her a beacon in the night.

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline SleeplessCT

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 10:03:35 AM »
-Paul Hoffman's Left Hand trilogy --> no, no, no, simply NO, these books are AWFUL!

Hahah what happened?
I heard very good reviews when it came out but now it seems everyone agree that it's 100% bad :P

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2018, 10:14:07 AM »

Hahah what happened?
I heard very good reviews when it came out but now it seems everyone agree that it's 100% bad :P
Maybe in italian they're better written ::)
Honestly, it's very very badly written in the original english, and the story is super confusing and mixes a ton of earth references without making any sense.
Book 1 isn't *that* bad, but the others are firmly in the 'awful' category.