February 27, 2020, 04:50:10 AM

Author Topic: Name dropping popular authors  (Read 568 times)

Offline Bender

Name dropping popular authors
« on: December 02, 2019, 03:07:29 PM »
In reviews or blurbs....I find this so annoying.

New authors tend to do this to establish a parallel with a popular author, but reviewer's doing this is even more perplexing.

"Fans of Mark Lawrence, Joe Abercrombie and Brandon Sanderson would love this"
or
"Feels like Robert Jordan and GRR Martin sat down together to write this"

Every author has their own writing style and tagging multiple names just feels like cheap advertising and would not have any parallels to any one far less all mentioned authors.

"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Name dropping popular authors
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 03:08:26 PM »
Agree 100%!
Unless you know ME, stop telling me what I'll like :P
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline isos81

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 03:38:38 PM »
Nevertheless, I believe it works most of the time and that's why they continue to do it even though it annoys some readers :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 03:43:10 PM »
If a book tells me it’s like Mark Lawrence I would avoid it as it tells me the ending of the story is weak.

If a book tells me it’s like Brandon Sanderson I would avoid it as it tells me the writer more interested in a magic. system then plot.

If a book tells me it’s like Robert Jordan I would avoid it as I’ve got no interest in very long bath scenes.

If a book tells me it’s like GRR Martin I would avoid it as I’ve got no interest in unfinished series.

If a book tells me it’s like Joe Abercrombie I would avoid it as it be grim over plot.

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 03:45:44 PM »
What they really mean these days is: People who search for X will also hopefully find this.

Offline isos81

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 03:55:20 PM »
If a book tells me it’s like Mark Lawrence I would avoid it as it tells me the ending of the story is weak.

If a book tells me it’s like Brandon Sanderson I would avoid it as it tells me the writer more interested in a magic. system then plot.

If a book tells me it’s like Robert Jordan I would avoid it as I’ve got no interest in very long bath scenes.

If a book tells me it’s like GRR Martin I would avoid it as I’ve got no interest in unfinished series.

If a book tells me it’s like Joe Abercrombie I would avoid it as it be grim over plot.

Please write which writers you would not avoid :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Lu Kudzoza

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 04:22:26 PM »
In reviews or blurbs....I find this so annoying.

New authors tend to do this to establish a parallel with a popular author, but reviewer's doing this is even more perplexing.

"Fans of Mark Lawrence, Joe Abercrombie and Brandon Sanderson would love this"
or
"Feels like Robert Jordan and GRR Martin sat down together to write this"

Every author has their own writing style and tagging multiple names just feels like cheap advertising and would not have any parallels to any one far less all mentioned authors.

I think it's a good thing. It gives readers a point of reference from which they can start to understand what they're getting into. My wife says she loves famous author references because it helps her quickly narrow her reading list... but she does it just the opposite way @Eclipse does.  :)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 04:41:20 PM »

Please write which writers you would not avoid :)

@Justan Henner has never let me down yet. I’m pretty sure I will like his next book no pressure 😀

I read @cupiscent  and @Lanko reviews as I trust them the most for book reviews like 79% of the time😁
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 04:50:30 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 05:23:54 PM »

@Justan Henner has never let me down yet. I’m pretty sure I will like his next book no pressure 😀

If you love Justan Henner, you'll love Lu Kudzoza.

Offline Lu Kudzoza

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 05:27:44 PM »

If you love Justan Henner, you'll love Lu Kudzoza.

Lu Kudzoza likes to read. He hates to write. Oh, just like Justan RR Rothfuss.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 01:04:16 AM »
I read @cupiscent  and @Lanko reviews as I trust them the most for book reviews like 79% of the time😁

Awww, thanks. :D

When it comes to author comparisons, I prefer to know why the comparison is being drawn, because I saw waaaaay too many comparisons to Harry Potter that were nothing but "Oh hey, there's magic and we hope it makes us a lot of money." So that's the sort of comparison I tend to make in my reviews--not "this is like GGK!" but "the care taken with the character arcs and the big emotional pay-offs reminded me of GGK's work".

Though blurbs from other authors is another matter altogether. I vividly remember being uncertain about picking up Game of Thrones back in 1997--it just sort of sounded like yet another fantasy book and I was getting a bit jaded--until I found the author blurbs, which were literally eight HUGE names in fantasy, all saying it was great. And I went, "...eh, all right, I'll give it a go."

Oftentimes, I pay attention less to what the author blurbs say, and more to who's been picked to blurb it in the first place, because that tells me who the publisher is aiming at. If the publisher sought a blurb from, say, Max Gladstone, that suggests to me that this is pitched in my sort of interest range.

Online S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 03:59:48 AM »
This annoyed the hell out of me too. As coincidental as it sounds, like @Eclipse, I often found that the similarities tended to be at the weak of these new works to the works of those famous authors they'd referenced. I just went through this exact experience finishing Aurora Rising, which I was extremely hyped up when I started but ended up disappointed in the end.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 12:05:09 PM »
I think the more immediate concern is the use of blurbs and reviews given for one book being put on subsequent books. Yes your debut might have been excellent, that doesn't mean you get to reuse the rating for your sequel.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 12:54:46 PM »
I think the more immediate concern is the use of blurbs and reviews given for one book being put on subsequent books. Yes your debut might have been excellent, that doesn't mean you get to reuse the rating for your sequel.
100% this too!
Or worse, what they said about book 1 of an old trilogy being used in the new one!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Peat

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 08:43:10 PM »
Without wishing to downplay your collective ire, am I the only one who simply skips over all those things without really noticing?