July 10, 2020, 07:34:19 AM

Poll

Please choose

At home - Toll the Hounds (Malazan 8 ) and then buy books 9 and 10 and finish
5 (45.5%)
At home - A time of blood (John Gwynne, book 2) and then wait for Oct to read book 3
0 (0%)
At home - Half of a yellow sun (Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie) something different/non fantasy
0 (0%)
Buy - The ruthless (Peter Newman, book 2) and then wait for April next year for book 3
0 (0%)
Buy - the Wounded Kingdom trilogy (RJ Barker)
1 (9.1%)
Buy - Turning Darkness into Light (new Marie Brennan)
4 (36.4%)
Just re-read something from my shelves, go on!
0 (0%)
Other (write below)
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: My turn to ask for help choosing a book  (Read 585 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
My turn to ask for help choosing a book
« on: May 25, 2020, 04:21:55 PM »
So, what should I read/get next?

Note that I normally like to read a trilogy in one go, so actually writing the options I've basically excluded in my mind the ones where I have to wait for book 3 ::)

You can vote for 2.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
Re: My turn to ask for help choosing a book
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 04:31:35 PM »
I've read most of that list. Finishing up on series would be my suggestion. I didn't enjoy the end of Malazan as much as the beginning, but it's definitely worth finishing. Gwynne didn't grip me enough to get the sequel trilogy either, but it seems on a par with his first.

something different/non fantasy
I understand each of these words, I do not understand the sentence.  :P

I enjoyed The Deathless, but haven't picked up the second yet. It pains me to see they've changed cover artist for that series too.

Wounded Kingdom I bailed out on book two, but since you're a Hobb fan I think you'll enjoy it a lot more than I did. Same focus on a put-upon character and covers a large span of his life.

Turning Darkness Into Life I absolutely recommend. Easily one of the best books I've read this year. It's fairly similar to the Lady Trent books, but is a standalone.

Save the rereading until your tbr is low, then alternate rereads and new books to stretch it out.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Peat

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 06:32:38 PM »
Turning Darkness Into Light is a wonderful read and something I heartily recommend to all but, maybe this is going to be a series and you'll be happier waiting?

The Wounded Kingdoms is my favourite trilogy of recent times by a long chalk. The second book is comfortably the worse in the series so Alex, if you enjoyed the first I'd do the third, but the second is still decent enough and the first is cracking and the third is awesome. The Hobbian comparison... I kinda buy it, as Girton the MC does make life more difficult for himself al Fitz style in book 2, but he's a fair amount angrier and in need of a slap from what memory recalls.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 06:37:14 PM »
Well, it seems you're confirming what I wanted to do in my mind ;D - I'll buy RJ Barker and Marie's books.
Peat, I think even if it's a series, it's the kind of plot that I don't really mind waiting (if it's similar to the other books).

Thing is, that will take at least a week to arrive, so I think in the meantime I'll reread something.
I might try to get them from the local independent bookshop, they say they're taking mail orders and it's a support of a small shop.

I will of course read the remaining Malazan, just not at the moment...

Offline isos81

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 06:47:15 PM »
Voted for Malazan and Turning Darkness into Light (though I didn't read it myself) :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Alex Hormann

• Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 07:57:11 PM »

The Wounded Kingdoms is my favourite trilogy of recent times by a long chalk. The second book is comfortably the worse in the series so Alex, if you enjoyed the first I'd do the third, but the second is still decent enough and the first is cracking and the third is awesome. The Hobbian comparison... I kinda buy it, as Girton the MC does make life more difficult for himself al Fitz style in book 2, but he's a fair amount angrier and in need of a slap from what memory recalls.

I didn't find a step down in quality, so much as a confirmation that the series wasn't for me. Too much focus on Girton's emotional wrangling. Same thing that turned me off Fitz.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 09:09:44 AM »
Oooh I liked Fitz, so I guess that'll be alright :D

Local shop replied that Marie's book is out of stock at the supplier but they're getting the Barker trilogy, to be delivered by the end of the week. I think they're actually going to bring it themselves, they live locally ;D

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 10:30:40 AM »
Even though I didn't read Malazan, I think continuing from your already reading series should be a good step in progression You could buy the next books instantly and read until the end of the series, so there's that, no waiting required.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 11:40:15 AM »
I get it, but I don't think I'm in the right frame of mind to read Malazan at the moment...
So bought the others, and will get to M some other time

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 09:32:10 AM »
HELP!

Open to ideas of books to buy, please recommend.
You know what I like ;)

(it must be available on paperback in the UK)

Offline Alex Hormann

• Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 01:10:18 PM »
Trying to think of character-driven stories, which is the opposite of what I like.  :P

City of Lies- Sam Hawke
Spoiler for Hiden:
I was seven years old the first time my uncle poisoned me . . .

Only a handful of people in Silasta know Jovan’s real purpose in life. To most, he is just another son of the ruling class. The quiet, forgettable friend of the Chancellor’s charming, irresponsible heir. In reality, Jovan has been trained for most of his life to detect, concoct and withstand poisons in order to protect the ruling family.

His sister Kalina is too frail to share in their secret family duty. While other women of the city hold positions of power and responsibility, her path is full of secrets and lies – some hidden even from her own brother.

Until now, peace has reigned in Silasta for hundreds of years. But when the Chancellor succumbs to an unknown poison and an army storms the gates, the so-called Bright City is completely unprepared. It falls to Jovan and Kalina to protect the heir and save their homeland – but first they must make their way through a new world of unexpected treachery, a world where the ancient spirits are rising . . . and angry. 

Nevernight- Jay Kristoff
Spoiler for Hiden:
Mia Corvere is only ten years old when she is given her first lesson in death.

Destined to destroy empires, the child raised in shadows made a promise on the day she lost everything: to avenge herself on those that shattered her world.

But the chance to strike against such powerful enemies will be fleeting, and Mia must become a weapon without equal. Before she seeks vengeance, she must seek training among the infamous assassins of the Red Church of Itreya.

Inside the Church's halls, Mia must prove herself against the deadliest of opponents and survive the tutelage of murderers, liars and daemons at the heart of a murder cult.

The Church is no ordinary school. But Mia is no ordinary student.

The Red Church is no ordinary school, but Mia is no ordinary student.
The shadows love her.
And they drink her fear.

The Court of Broken Knives- Anna Smith Spark
Spoiler for Hiden:
They’ve finally looked at the graveyard of our Empire with open eyes. They’re fools and madmen and like the art of war. And their children go hungry while we piss gold and jewels into the dust.

In the richest empire the world has ever known, the city of Sorlost has always stood, eternal and unconquered. But in a city of dreams governed by an imposturous Emperor, decadence has become the true ruler, and has blinded its inhabitants to their vulnerability. The empire is on the verge of invasion – and only one man can see it.

Haunted by dreams of the empire’s demise, Orhan Emmereth has decided to act. On his orders, a company of soldiers cross the desert to reach the city. Once they enter the Palace, they have one mission: kill the Emperor, then all those who remain. Only from ashes can a new empire be built.

The company is a group of good, ordinary soldiers, for whom this is a mission like any other. But the strange boy Marith who walks among them is no ordinary soldier. Marching on Sorlost, Marith thinks he is running away from the past which haunts him. But in the Golden City, his destiny awaits him – beautiful, bloody, and more terrible than anyone could have foreseen. 

And if you're open to Steampunk

Boneshaker- Cherie Priest 
Spoiler for Hiden:
Ezekiel Blue’s father committed a crime, unleashing a deadly menace into steampowered Seattle. And his bereaved family has paid the price. Now, Ezekiel is determined to clear his father’s name, risking death and the undead in the attempt.

Sixteen years ago, as the American Civil War dawned, gold brought hordes to the frozen Klondike. Fanatical in their greed, Russian prospectors commissioned Dr Leviticus Blue to create a great machine, to mine through Alaska’s ice. Thus the Incredible Bone-Shaking Drill Engine was born. But the Boneshaker went awry, destroying downtown Seattle and unearthing a subterranean vein of blight gas. Anyone who breathed its fumes turning into the living dead.

The devastated city is now walled in to contain the blight. But unknown to Briar, his widowed mother, Ezekiel is going in. His quest will take him into a city teeming with ravenous undead, air pirates, criminal overlords, and heavily armed refugees. And only Briar can bring him out alive.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 01:13:19 PM »
Thanks Alex.
I'm going to be picky though...

I've got Anna Smith-Spark's, didn't like it enough to buy the others.
Nevernight sounds too much like Mark Lawrence's Book of the Ancestor.
I don't mind steampunk, but much prefer english one.
Sam Hawke's looks good, though ;D

Offline Alex Hormann

• Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2020, 01:23:57 PM »
Nevernight and Red Sister are almost identical in concept. And both came out at about the same time.

Since you liked Adrian Tchaikovsky's Echoes of the Fall trilogy, you could try Shadows of the Apt, though it another long series if you're halfway through Malazan. He's also written a standalone called Guns of the Dawn, which is a sort of Jane Austen war story.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2020, 09:33:13 PM »
Some names I got from FF's best of lists (2017-19) and old reccs for new stuff - what are your opinions?

- Thousand names, Django Wexler
- Ruin of kings, Jenn Lyons
- Rage of dragons, Evan Winter
- Foundryside, Robert Jackson Bennett

I'll get these for sure, sooner or later:

- Turning darkness into light, Brennan
- Ruthless, Peter Newman
- Republic of thieves, Lynch
- Boneships, RJ Barker

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2020, 09:42:58 PM »
I think you'd enjoy Foundryside a lot. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)