February 25, 2020, 03:45:43 AM

Author Topic: Must-read portal fantasy  (Read 3285 times)

Offline RandomCamel

Must-read portal fantasy
« on: May 19, 2015, 12:56:13 AM »
I didn't know that portal fantasy was a controversial, for want of a better word, sub-genre of fantasy until I came to this site.
I realised I don't think I've ever actually read any portal fantasy, are there any really great examples that I should read?
Age-rating isn't an issue.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
Re: Must-read portal fantasy
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 12:59:17 AM »
For adult portal fantasy, three classics come to mind: The Thomas Covenant books by Stephen R. Donaldson, the Amber books by Zelazny, and the Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay. They all have different takes on the sub-genre and are quite well regarded (though many readers can't stand Covenant as a main character).

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 01:26:24 AM »
Narnia is one of the best known portal fantasies, but it's been around for a long time and plenty of other books have elements of it. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass are effectively portal fantasy, it could be argued that Oz is as well. Harry Potter has elements of portal fantasy in it (Platform 9 and 3 quarters anyone?). Clive Barker's Weaveworld is a portal fantasy (the world is embedded into a carpet), as is Tad Williams' The War of the Flowers. Lev Grossman's The Magicians has elements of it as well.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 01:37:02 AM »
Would His Dark Materials class as portal fantasy? Don't think I've read anything even remotely related other than that.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 01:57:14 AM »
Why do I always forget about The War of the Flowers. I really enjoyed that one (and Tad Williams in general). You could also argue that his Otherland series (though it's science fiction) reads more like a portal fantasy at times.

Isn't The Magicians a portal fantasy, at least in part?

Offline Davis Ashura

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 02:39:02 AM »
I remember that there used to be a lot more portal fantasies back in the 80s and 90s. There was Jack Chalker's Changewinds series. Joel Rosenberg had his Guardians of the Flame series back then. Stephen Donaldson is most famous for Thomas Covenant but he also had Mordant's Need. And there is also Dave Duncan's Seventh Sword. Even J.V. Jones had a portal fantasy with The Barbed Coil.

And those are just the ones of the top of my head.
The crucible of tragedy teaches us the truth of our dharma: we sacrifice all so others need not. It is a weighty burden.

The Sorrows of Hume

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 03:26:46 AM »
Some YA:

DJ MacHale's Pendragon series. Lovely social commentary spanning a ten book series. Kinda dragged on near the end, but I remember it being my second favorite series until I found this site, and the recommendations henceforth.

Suzanne Collins's The Underland Chronicles. Perfect 5 book series about a boy who finds a kingdom underground. (Yes, I read Suzanne Collins before it was cool.) Also my favorite interpretation of prophecy, but do with that what you will.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline ChrisW

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 08:05:14 AM »
Would Stover's "Acts of Caine" series qualify?

Which reminds me I should really reread and catch up on those books....

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 08:28:49 AM »
Magic Kingdom For Sale/Sold by Terry Brooks is a huge amount of fun, and definitely one of the best things Brooks has ever written. Wouldn't bother with the sequels, but absolutely read that one.
Make Another World.

Offline ChrisW

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 09:30:29 AM »
The Paradise War series by Stephen Lawhead is pretty good from what I remember. Lots of Celtic Mythology.

Offline DDRRead

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 10:43:13 AM »
Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger series is a light-hearted take on portal fantasy; and a great read.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Must-read portal fantasy
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 11:36:21 AM »
Lev Grossman's Magicians is definitely portal and a very good read.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 12:33:59 PM »
In SF, I see times tavel as a form of portal story. Connie Willis's The Domesday Book is wonderful. Dickson (?) had a book about a soldier going in back in time to Roman period; it was quite fun.

Back with F, Stephen Donaldson had a second portal series starting with Through a Mirror Darkly. My daughter couldn't stomach Thomas Covenant, but she loved this duology.

SF writer David Brin had an interesting F book, The Practice Effect, in which objects get more powerful the more they are used.

I have no issue with portal fantasy, or any sub genre really. Tell me  a good story.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 01:19:02 AM »
I'll second Spellsinger and John De Chancie did the Castle series in the '80's which was about a castle that had 1,000's of doors, each one opened onto a different world. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster is another classic portal fantasy aimed at younger readers.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com