September 30, 2020, 06:49:38 PM

Author Topic: Most creative and imaginative books of the last 20 years  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Bender

Re: Most creative and imaginative books of the last 20 years
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 12:23:20 PM »
Divine Cities Trilogy deserves a mention here. Quite novel and I don't recall having read anything similar.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Peat

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 08:23:44 PM »
I would not only second Gladstone's The Craft trilogy, but am actively considering creating clone accounts to third, fourth, fifth and sixth it as well.

My second nomination would honestly be for Going Postal (within last twenty years innit), which I'd consider pretty off the wall for a fantasy even today, nevermind when it was published.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 08:56:23 PM »
I'm reading Blackwing by Ed McDonald right now, and I'd say it qualifies.

Offline Dark Squiggle

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 02:11:15 AM »
Here's my list.
Anything Ted Chiang (short stories, though)
Niel Gaiman (but I wouldn't tell you touch American Gods or Coraline with a ten foot pole).
Harry Turtledove's Between the Rivers.
Keri Hulme's Bone People (only barely fantasy)
Terry Pratchett's enormous Discworld series (A huge amount of variation, more than I've ever seen anywhere else, and has no real order.)

Also anyone who has read and didn't get on with Perdido, I'd urge you to give the second New Crobuzon book, The Scar, a go. Much more traditional in its plot and in many ways a better book (PSS is my personal favourite) but a lot of people give up on Mieville after Perdido, which is a shame.

I probably second this. I've tried to read PSS about three times, and failed every single time, but I have read The Scar. I didn't think it was All That, but I enjoyed it.

i read King Rat, and liked it, but it was too close to Gaiman's Neverwhere and not quite as good. I read The Scar, and while I loved the world and writing, I hated the MC, the ending, and the untrue slur on Isambard Kingdom Brunel (my personal thing, noone else should care.)  Is PSS different enough that I should read it?

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2018, 11:13:51 AM »
Can I second third and fourth Going Postal?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 01:07:49 PM »
If I had to pick a book right now, and just the one, I'd be a bit torn, but in the end I would say The Library On Mount Char is my choice. You read that and just can't believe it all fit in someone's head.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty