August 21, 2019, 06:51:07 AM

Author Topic: Most anticipated books of 2014?  (Read 65479 times)

Offline Ashes

Most anticipated books of 2014?
« on: July 24, 2013, 04:49:03 PM »
2013 brought us some amazing books whether they're sequels or debuts, still more yet to come of course. So I thought I'd give us all a head start on seeing some of the books coming next year.

Some that might not arrive in 2014: The Skull Throne, The Doors of Stone.

A few that I'll be preordering:

The Crimson Campaign - Brian McClellan

Sword of the North - Luke Scull

Sworn in Steel - Douglas Hulick

Half a King - Joe Abercrombie
"The first of three standalone but interconnected novels aimed at younger readers – will be published in summer 2014. A classic coming-of-age tale, set in a brilliantly imagined alternative historical world reminiscent of the Dark Ages with Viking overtones, the book tells the story of Yarvi, youngest son of a warlike king. Born with a crippled hand, he can never live up to his father’s expectations of what a real man should be and his destiny is not the throne but the Ministry, not the sword and shield but the book and the soft word spoken.

But when his father and brother are killed, Yarvi is propelled to kingship and must sit in the Black Chair, between gods and men, and half a man must find a way to rule as half a king. Thus begins a gripping switchback ride of a tale that will carry Yarvi far beyond his kingdom, from the heights of royalty to the depths of slavery, during the course of which he must find better ways to fight than with a sword, and learn the lessons that will make him a man."

Prince of Fools - Mark Lawrence
"This is the first book of a planned trilogy titled The Red Queen’s War.

These books are set in the Broken Empire and cover the same two decades that we dipped into during Jorg’s tale [see Broken Empire trilogy]. The trilogy is stand-alone, i.e, it's not required that you read the Broken Empire trilogy first.

The story follows the fortunes of Jalan Kendeth, an arrogant and cowardly womanizer, a bully and a cheat. Our ‘hero’ has lived his life in luxury and plans to continue doing so. Things start to go wrong when poor judgement entangles him in the adventures of an axe-wielding barbarian from the frozen north...

Prince of Fools shows us the world of the Broken Empire with a thicker vein of humor than Jorg’s tale, but it’s the same bloodstained place and from time to time we catch a glimpse of Jorg and his friends in the background."

So far just one debut that I'll have a good look at.
The Emperor's Blades - Brian Staveley

Keep an eye out for any news about. Anne Lyle, Francis Knight, Stella Gemmell, Stephen Deas, Peter V brett (novella), Joe Abercrombie (shot stories), A certain anthology in memory of David Gemmell that I've seen mentioned here and there.
And there are a few authors that I need to start reading again so I can get hyped about their coming books. Brandon Sanderson, Brent Weeks and many more.

Go on, post some of yours!
“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the persuit of evil.” David Gemmell

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
Re: Most anticipated books of 2014?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 05:49:42 PM »
So 2014 will be the year of sequels and new beginnings? :P

You forgot one, which I *think* has a set date of March 1, 2014.

The Bastards and the Knives - Scott Lynch

Other than that, I'm not exactly sure what to expect next year, 'cept the ones you've already mentioned. I'm sure we'll see more excitement at the end of the year from newbies and more sequels, like you've shown us.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 07:13:25 PM »
You forgot one, which I *think* has a set date of March 1, 2014.

I doubt it - that looks like an Amazon set date to me. Until you hear it from Scott and/or the publishers, take that with a fistful of salt.
Make Another World.

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 07:55:54 PM »
Half A King by Joe Abercrombie

(Hopefully)Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch

Murder by Sarah Pinborough

The Copper Promise by Jennifer Williams

Various anthologies where we will hopefully find the 4th Dunk 'n Egg novella, ant least 4 new First Law set short stories.

To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline Ashes

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 08:06:42 PM »
Isn't Republic of Thieves out this year?
“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the persuit of evil.” David Gemmell

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 08:19:37 PM »
Isn't Republic of Thieves out this year?

Yep, in October. And it is amazing.  :P

Still dubious, but the date probably has more weight than the SL book:

The Casual Angel - Hannu Rajeniemi
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 08:55:21 PM »

The Copper Promise by Jennifer Williams

You are, you realise, my new best mate  ;) Can't wait to have a cover to show you!!
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline wybaugh

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 08:06:17 PM »
I really enjoyed Promise of Blood so cannot wait for the new book.  Along with Daniel Abraham series this has me very excited for the future.

Offline DiscoGobbo

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 09:59:38 PM »
Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive #2) has a fake January 21st, 2014 release date on Amazon, though that's based on the publisher's estimate. Given Sanderson's current writing firmware and how much that series is being pushed to be Tor's new flagship, a Q1 release for it seems reasonable.
My debut fantasy novel, Valkwitch, is now released in ebook form! Neato!
You can find more info and the first two chapters Here.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/M_L_Watson

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 10:16:46 PM »
Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive #2) has a fake January 21st, 2014 release date on Amazon, though that's based on the publisher's estimate. Given Sanderson's current writing firmware and how much that series is being pushed to be Tor's new flagship, a Q1 release for it seems reasonable.

I've read that that's the date his publisher is pushing, and that's what he's going for. Who knows, though?

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 01:43:49 PM »
After a Twitter exchange with Adam Christopher I'm belatedly adding the following.

Hang Wire by Adam Christopher - ancient gods & serial killers in San Francisco.

To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline Noona

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 04:29:56 PM »
For me it's The Causal Angel by Hannu Rajaniemi and The Dark Defiles by Richard Morgan - neither have an official date I don't think, but are supposedly 2014.

Offline Overlord

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 04:16:17 PM »
Kickstarting this because we are soon going to do our ever popular 'Most Anticipated of 2014' list.

So people, which books are you looking forward to most in 2014?
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Phil the Drill

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 04:27:24 PM »
Still have a lot to catch up on, but anything by Joe Abercrombie gets an auto-buy from me, so Half a King is on my list. The Emperor's Blades looks pretty awesome, too. I need to shorten my to be read pile already!
“I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, & am content.” Robert E. Howard

Offline Xelun

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 04:46:20 PM »
Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson
The Emperor's Blades by Brian Stavely (great preview chapters up on Tor)
The Crimson Campaign by Brian McClellan
The Shadow Throne by Django Wexler
Steles of the Sky by Elizabeth Bear
Sworn in Steel by Douglas Hulick
The Widow's House by Daniel Abraham

Obligatory Winds of Winter and Doors of Stone if either of those is out this year (nopenopenope). Looks like the next Dresden Files book and the next Lightbringer book will be out in 2014, and I want those as well. There are a handful of Sci-Fi books I'm looking forward to, too. I'll probably read Half a King, but I've never been a huge Abercrombie fan (despite having read everything he's written).