December 12, 2019, 09:04:25 PM

Author Topic: STEVEN ERIKSON + GEORGE R.R. MARTIN  (Read 3749 times)

Offline JAMES66

STEVEN ERIKSON + GEORGE R.R. MARTIN
« on: December 05, 2013, 08:41:01 PM »
Steven Erikson's 'Malazan' epic is such a terrific accomplishment, but his other books are
almost unreadable.
George R.R. Martin's Songs Of Fire And Ice series is equally amazing, so I purchased his
other novels. They were also unreadable. His scifi is really 2nd rate, or worse.

Seems to me, these guys cannot multi task into other forms and storylines. Does anybody
else agree with notion ?

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
Re: STEVEN ERIKSON + GEORGE R.R. MARTIN
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 08:57:12 PM »
The only non-ASoIaF book of GRRM's that I have read is Fevre Dream. Which is fantastic. Different from ASoIaF, but still a wonderfully written novel.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 09:19:15 PM »
Steven Erikson's 'Malazan' epic is such a terrific accomplishment, but his other books are
almost unreadable.
George R.R. Martin's Songs Of Fire And Ice series is equally amazing, so I purchased his
other novels. They were also unreadable. His scifi is really 2nd rate, or worse.

Seems to me, these guys cannot multi task into other forms and storylines. Does anybody
else agree with notion ?

Are you being serious?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Algon 33

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 09:29:54 PM »
Hmm. With Steven Erikson, I can find only one flaw. It is quite hard for people to get into the flow of his books. They are the greatest achievement in the modern day in regards to books, in my opinion, but they are still very hard for many people to get into. This true for any of his books.

Online Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 09:44:28 PM »
I haven't read any of Martin's SF, but Fevre Dream was a really good example of horror and should have received more attention than it did. I can't comment on Erikson because I've only read some of Malazan, which for whatever reason didn't grab me and I quit partway through Memories of Ice, largely because I didn't care about the fate of any of the characters in the books.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 09:48:25 PM »
 ::)
Make Another World.

Offline professional-liar

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 11:23:26 PM »
I couldn't disagree more. I thought Martin's Sand-Kings is one of the best Sci-Fi stories I've ever read and his Skin Trade story is one that I've always wished would get turned into a movie, but it only got turned into a graphic novel. That's a start.

Martin has written an awful lot of short stories and some of them may not stand the test of time, but most of the work collected in DreamSongs I found a lot of fun.

I do always respect opinions that go against the crowd, but this time I just can't agree.
Check out my webcomic-The Venom King www.venomkingcomic.com

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 06:34:41 AM »
I couldn't disagree more. I thought Martin's Sand-Kings is one of the best Sci-Fi stories I've ever read and his Skin Trade story is one that I've always wished would get turned into a movie, but it only got turned into a graphic novel. That's a start.

Martin has written an awful lot of short stories and some of them may not stand the test of time, but most of the work collected in DreamSongs I found a lot of fun.

I do always respect opinions that go against the crowd, but this time I just can't agree.

Since this is the OP`s one and only post I suspect they were on a wind up.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 06:36:58 AM »

Since this is the OP`s one and only post I suspect they were on a wind up.

I wonder which one he got a down vote for.