June 22, 2018, 06:03:13 AM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 164033 times)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Musings about Books
« Reply #1305 on: April 13, 2018, 02:06:41 AM »
Feeling ashamed that I have never heard of Sara Douglass until this week. It seems she finally came to write by a long and difficult route and is a prolific Australian author of historical fantasy. I would appreciate comments from anyone familiar with any of her books, in particular @Elfy and @cupiscent.
'..all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums....they listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions"" and Beethoven's "I Want to Break Free". Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams "Fat-Bottomed Girls".
Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman: Good Omens 1990

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #1306 on: April 13, 2018, 04:47:04 AM »
Feeling ashamed that I have never heard of Sara Douglass until this week...

...HOW? Oh, Lady Ty, I am laughing so hard. (Also, was it via that ABC cultural-demographic survey? Because I also laughed to see her name in there.) Mostly I'm amused because for many years there was always a huge Sara Douglass section in the fantasy shelves of the bookshop (it's dwindled in the years since her death) but also because I feel like Sara Douglass basically launched the Australian (non-YA) fantasy industry in the mid '90s, and was probably also a major reason why our industry has been so gender-equal if not actually skewed toward female epic-fantasy authors.

Personally, I don't feel that her writing holds up well after twenty years, but then again, my personal tastes have moved away from standard action-adventure fantasy. Already before that, I'd stopped reading because after her first two trilogies (published as one six-book series in the US) and actually already starting to show in the second half of that, I found her work became significantly influenced by her medieval-history academia day job, and it felt (to me) both heavily historical and dark-verging-on-horror in style, neither of which was really my cup of tea.

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: April 13, 2018, 06:33:09 AM »

Thanks cupiscent, was glad to hear that she helped fantasy on its way here and she deserves being known. May see what the library has and have a look, but also expect it is a little dated now, because the covers I found were all D&D style.  I may have seen them on shelves back in the 90's,  but her name passed me by. Kids and I were into Belgarion and Dragonlance mostly then.

I do try to read Australian authors and look out for new ones if they fit my reading choices. I googled Sara Douglass and she seemed to  have had a tough  start, being forced to go into nursing and stuck it out for seventeen years until she could actually work at what she wanted. At least I have learned a new author's name today.

Also, was it via that ABC cultural-demographic survey? Because I also laughed to see her name in there.

Yes it was  ;D That was very weird and I never take these seriously, but cannot resist.

I filled it in on purpose to be silly, writing 'Never/None'  and then choosing every single named choice and ticking 'Never read' or 'Disliked' etc. All possible negativity as though I lived in a cupboard but could hear names.  Guess what?

" Your cultural tastes are most similar to a lower middle class woman, aged 40-59 with a postgraduate education."

What an insult to all those women. :o
'..all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums....they listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions"" and Beethoven's "I Want to Break Free". Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams "Fat-Bottomed Girls".

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #1308 on: April 13, 2018, 10:03:03 AM »
I read Douglass' Axis trilogy, but couldn't come at the Wayfarer follow up. I did quite enjoy her Crucible historical fantasy, for all that it was very dark. That one gave her the opportunity to use her knowledge of medieval history (she used to lecture in medieval history at La Trobe Uni). At the time I think i found the Axis and Wayfarer stuff lacked substance. Of course as cupiscent saud that did skew YA, and I was in no way a YA then.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #1309 on: April 18, 2018, 08:57:15 PM »
Did you hear that Peter V. Brett's next series is about Leesha's and Arlen's grown up (or young adult) kids*?

*if you haven't finished the series, this is not a spoiler because you still don't know if Leesha and Arlen have kids together or with other people.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 11:06:22 AM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1310 on: April 18, 2018, 10:06:56 PM »
Really? :o :o
I think I'd prefer a new world...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline Alex Hormann

« Reply #1311 on: April 18, 2018, 10:21:22 PM »
Given that the end of the Core seemed to set up some questions for any sequels, I'm not surprised. I'm hoping it explores more of the world.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #1312 on: April 19, 2018, 11:08:58 AM »
Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm expecting overpowered teenagers to explore a (for them harmless) world until they stumble upon other humans (who have another demon hive in their vicinity) they can save. The consort who got sent somewhere else may play a role too.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #1313 on: April 19, 2018, 07:00:15 PM »
I still need to read The Core. After that, I'll probably wait to start his next series (unless the reviews are absolutely amazing).

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1314 on: May 21, 2018, 08:04:14 AM »
That moment when you wake up at 3.30am, realise you're not that sleepy and just want to continue reading (Memories of ice, in my case)... ;D

It was just about 45 minutes, but when the alarm went off... argh!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Offline ZeroEcho99

« Reply #1315 on: May 22, 2018, 09:58:45 AM »
After finally finishing Gardens of the Moon (yay me!) I've now started on the new Raymond E Feist book - King of Ashes.  12% in so far and the story is coming along nicely.

Didn't think I could commit to another Erikson novel straight away but will be going back v soon.

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: May 27, 2018, 11:42:52 PM »
Did anyone see that Gardner Dozois has passed away? He put together some amazing anthologies over the years.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1317 on: May 29, 2018, 08:04:28 AM »
Did anyone see that Gardner Dozois has passed away? He put together some amazing anthologies over the years.
I've heard the name, but I wasn't really sure who he was... he certainly helped the genre...

Topcashback* shouldn't do these promotions: their "spend £5 and get £2.50 this weekend" made me buy House of Chains, which means I'll continue on my Malazan binge and Anna Smith Spark is being left behind. At this rate I will read her book when the next is out, which isn't a bad thing ;D

(* if people would like to join, let me know, as I can give you my referral code and that helps, hehe)

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: May 29, 2018, 10:00:58 AM »
I have quite a few of his anthologies and the stories are usually all good. He introduced me to new writers as well as ones I knew being in the collections.   Seems he was well liked and respected by many authors because a couple of the anthologies were fund raisers to help his medical expenses, and the intros showed how glad they were to help out.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:05:51 AM by Lady Ty »