April 29, 2017, 10:24:19 AM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 121111 times)

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Musings
« Reply #585 on: December 17, 2015, 05:18:35 PM »
I hope people don't take this the wrong way (I'm NOT a murderer nor do I want to solve problems by killing ;)), but in many aspects Jorg acts just like me (straight to the point) and in others he's the strong person I wish I was, but I never seem to be able to bring to life.
Intriguing! (also always great when someone has to categorically define themselves as not a murderer ;) ) But sounds like you're definitely not a Prince Jalan then, who essentially just wants to fuck around and run away from any trouble or problem that comes calling at his door.

Definitely!
It took me ages to finally read Prince of Fools because I didn't want to let go of Jorg, and I really didn't like Jalan at first. But Mark's writing convinced me and won me over in the new series, but I still prefer Snorri and the Red Queen's personalities to Jalan's...
I prefer Jalan and Snorri when they're together, always more interesting and fun to read when they bounce off one another as completely different people.

Online Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 17, 2015, 11:01:01 PM »
Jorg just takes the shortest route to what he wants and is unfettered by doubts or concience. mostly what he wants is not to lose.

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • Trapped by choice in the Apple garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 18, 2015, 01:41:51 AM »
@ScarletBea, you need to read Girl Genius at www.girlgeniusonline.com.
You have to get way into the story before you start to see our heroine really taking charge, but so worth it.
But all through the story, her intent is always knife-edge straight forward.
So your Jorg comment (and my obsession with GG) made me think of it.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Yora

« Reply #588 on: January 07, 2016, 04:35:59 PM »
I've been reading a bit about piracy in the Baltic Sea in the 14th century and I think that someone should totally make a fantasy series inspired by it. War of the Roses with Dragons is a huge success, this sounds almost as awsomely chaotic and badass.
Not only do you have basically mercenary armies with their own fleets who capture merchant ships and raid coastal cities both for other lords and on their own initiative, you also have a succession war, impoverished and exiled nobles turning to banditry, corrupt merchant lords who are as powerful as many nobles, the Teutonic Knights, and, which I didn't even know about before, still lawless regions controled by tribal chiefs. And island fortresses. Sieges, sea battles, fleets being send out to hunt pirates, high profile public executions. And it's really all about money. Lots of money.

Add some Finish sorcerers, sea monsters, and mermaids and you're golden. When one of the major players involved is actually called "High Master Konrad of Jungingen of the Teutonic Order" the thing almost writes itself.  :D

And I always thought our little corner of the world was a bit boring.
Spriggan's Den

There is nothing to read!

Offline Mr.J

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 07, 2016, 04:42:36 PM »
I'm sold, I'd definitely read that.

Now we just need someone to write it, if only there was a fantasy fan from that part of the world who could write about it?  ::)

Offline Yora

« Reply #590 on: January 07, 2016, 06:30:12 PM »
Yeah, a good question.

Biggest obstacle is that I am not really a fan of these political fantasy epics, but it doesn't have to be an immitation of Song of Ice and Fire. Maybe instead making it the story of a mercenary/pirate captain who is trying to make a fortune in such troubled times?
I really like the idea, but don't expect anything in print within the next 10 years.
Spriggan's Den

There is nothing to read!

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 07, 2016, 06:34:19 PM »
The Shattered Sea trilogy by Joe Abercrombie is set in a post-apocalyptic Baltic, and it's written as if it were a fantasy world. Doesn't really have the political angle you mentioned, but the setting is perfect.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Mr.J

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 07, 2016, 07:41:27 PM »
Yeah, a good question.

Biggest obstacle is that I am not really a fan of these political fantasy epics, but it doesn't have to be an immitation of Song of Ice and Fire. Maybe instead making it the story of a mercenary/pirate captain who is trying to make a fortune in such troubled times?
I really like the idea, but don't expect anything in print within the next 10 years.
Doesn't have to be that, minimize the epic story from a single perspective, that way it becomes even more epic but we can perceive it on a human level, hey make it a young girl who gets drawn into the pirate war somehow and write your way to the bookstores and amazon  8)

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #593 on: January 08, 2016, 02:17:01 PM »
To the library tomorrow, returning a few books, trying to get the hardcover of Ruin (I don't want to wait for March when I buy the paperback hehe, although I think all copies are out at the moment), and then some more new books.
I'll go prepared with the lists of 'best books of 2015' :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one." Mark Lawrence ("Red Sister")

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #594 on: January 09, 2016, 03:11:31 PM »
To the library tomorrow, returning a few books, trying to get the hardcover of Ruin (I don't want to wait for March when I buy the paperback hehe, although I think all copies are out at the moment), and then some more new books.
I'll go prepared with the lists of 'best books of 2015' :D
Ended up just bringing Lucy Hounsom's Starborn, didn't want to overdo it.
Ruin was out.
I still have a portuguese historical fiction I bought over there to read, and I want to buy Julia Knight's 2 and 3, so that's it.

By the way, Julia's 1 and 2 were there already :)
(she's another unsummonable, so...)
"A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one." Mark Lawrence ("Red Sister")

Online Eclipse

• Threadomancer and Discoverer of Obscure and Ancient Threads
  • Khaleesi
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 09, 2016, 03:13:28 PM »
Can we summon you through I thought you turned you notice off when some one summons the Bea  ;D
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #596 on: January 09, 2016, 03:37:04 PM »
Yes, I turned it off - meaning I don't get mails, but I check F-F as much as (or more than) my mails, so... ;D

Offline Brother of the Sixth Order

• Godling
  • Cleverness..to be able to remember to tell a story
    • View Profile
    • The Grim Dark Files
« Reply #597 on: January 09, 2016, 04:52:28 PM »
I am now reading Knight's Shadow by Sebastian De Castell the 2nd book in "The Greatcoats", i loved the first book a truly excellent debut novel
There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #598 on: January 09, 2016, 05:33:04 PM »
Wrong thread? ;)

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #599 on: January 09, 2016, 05:50:37 PM »
I am so waiting for these editions before I buy them :D

Today I discovered that books 1 and 2 are already available, but book 3 comes out only in April, and 4 in June. Why on earth???
I'll until until June to buy all 4 and binge read ;D

Tags: