October 28, 2020, 05:48:30 AM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 374919 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
Re: Miscellaneous Musings
« Reply #285 on: March 30, 2015, 04:03:46 PM »
...aaand another one!  ;D

Damn. I had to LIKE this post, so great. But one more LIKE for Raptori.   ;)
;)

Why all this ragging on Finland, Raptori? There are plenty of great things about Finland. Like... like... Well, there are! Probably...  :-\

;) 
It's not ragging, Finland is awesome! Weird = good imo.  ;D
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #286 on: March 30, 2015, 04:24:59 PM »
I went to Helsinki last summer. Passed through between St Petersburg and Talinn. Very friendly city but hard to find an ATM. Went on a boat tour.  Seemed a place that would be better to visit in a boat.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #287 on: March 30, 2015, 04:38:52 PM »
I went to Helsinki last summer. Passed through between St Petersburg and Talinn. Very friendly city but hard to find an ATM. Went on a boat tour.  Seemed a place that would be better to visit in a boat.
Interesting that you found it hard to find an ATM, I've never had a problem - though I don't really wander too far from the center when I'm in the city. Definitely agree about the boats, the coastline is really nice and that's a great way to see it all :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #288 on: March 30, 2015, 06:51:11 PM »
It's already been 12 years since I went there!!!
(I tried to find a photo, but it was actually before I had a digital camera - I just have a few scanned photos, not very good quality)
I remember going to that little island off Helsinki on the weekend, lots of people doing picnics :)
I also went to Hamina, my friend went to see her mum and took me with her.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #289 on: March 30, 2015, 07:01:52 PM »
It's already been 12 years since I went there!!!
(I tried to find a photo, but it was actually before I had a digital camera - I just have a few scanned photos, not very good quality)
I remember going to that little island off Helsinki on the weekend, lots of people doing picnics :)
I also went to Hamina, my friend went to see her mum and took me with her.
Haha well most people don't come to finland at all, so at least that's something!

Which island? There are dozens!  :P As a guess I'd say maybe Suomenlinna, the island(s) with the fort on them? I've never been there, but we almost went a while ago.

Hamina looks nice and far off the beaten track, we'd love to move somewhere away from all the people if we had enough money  :-\

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #290 on: March 30, 2015, 07:03:16 PM »
Which island? There are dozens!  :P As a guess I'd say maybe Suomenlinna, the island(s) with the fort on them? I've never been there, but we almost went a while ago.
Oh oops, I didn't know/remember.
And yes, that's exactly the one, I recognise the name :)

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
« Reply #291 on: March 30, 2015, 07:03:40 PM »
It appears many of us have been to Helstinki!

The people were lovely and as always I felt embarrassed by how good their English was while I spoke next to no Finnish.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #292 on: March 30, 2015, 07:13:56 PM »
Oh oops, I didn't know/remember.
And yes, that's exactly the one, I recognise the name :)
Would've been impressed if you did after 12 years!

It appears many of us have been to Helstinki!

The people were lovely and as always I felt embarrassed by how good their English was while I spoke next to no Finnish.
Hehe I speak barely any Finnish and I've lived here for about three years now. Really need to get a move on with that. Though actually we know an English guy who has lived here for about ten years and speaks less than me - and he works as a bartender (and not even in a tourist area)!  :o

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #293 on: March 30, 2015, 07:31:44 PM »
I lived half a year in Stockholm, does that count? ;) But I've been to Helsinki and other parts of Finland too, hiking in the woods, canoing on the lakes... :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
« Reply #294 on: March 30, 2015, 07:33:27 PM »
I lived half a year in Stockholm, does that count? ;) But I've been to Helsinki and other parts of Finland too, hiking in the woods, canoing on the lakes... :)
Just a general invasion of Scandinavia?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #295 on: March 30, 2015, 07:52:15 PM »
We loved Suomenlinna.  There are great cannon and strange foxholes dug into the island and covered over like Hobbiton battered down against assault. Fascinating barracks and fort. Beautiful views all around.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #296 on: March 30, 2015, 09:29:56 PM »
More or less, I guess!  :P

Really is crazy how many people here have been to Finland, would never expect it  :o

We loved Suomenlinna.  There are great cannon and strange foxholes dug into the island and covered over like Hobbiton battered down against assault. Fascinating barracks and fort. Beautiful views all around.
It does sound pretty cool. The closest I've been is a ferry sailing past (on the way to Tallinn), but I guess that's not quite the same as being able to explore it  ;D

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #297 on: March 30, 2015, 11:14:16 PM »
Because I have no sense of direction and can get lost on the head of a pin, I'd probably enjoy a city like Helsinki if it's that easy to navigate, then again it's really cold a lot of the time, so not for me (the only good thing about winter is football aka Aussie Rules). On the other hand despite being directionally challenged I love Venice more than any other city I've ever been to in the world and if you haven't been lost in Venice, then you haven't really been there.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #298 on: March 31, 2015, 06:30:23 AM »
Because I have no sense of direction and can get lost on the head of a pin, I'd probably enjoy a city like Helsinki if it's that easy to navigate, then again it's really cold a lot of the time, so not for me (the only good thing about winter is football aka Aussie Rules). On the other hand despite being directionally challenged I love Venice more than any other city I've ever been to in the world and if you haven't been lost in Venice, then you haven't really been there.
It's cold in the winter but fairly warm in the summer - every year that I've been here it's gone above 30C for a few weeks in the summer, plus of course it barely gets dark at all. Summer nights over here are amazing.

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #299 on: March 31, 2015, 08:31:52 AM »
it's gone above 30C for a few weeks in the summer,
That's probably cold for an Aussie ;)
I was over there in *winter* and it was around the early 20s in Sydney and high 20s/early 30s in Cairns and Uluru ;D

And can I just thank you, Elfy, for another blow to the myth that men are the only spacially-aware people on this planet? I'm quite good with maps and I hate the generalisation >:(